Landrace strains - general thread

Stick with us @BigSur

I love your contributions over at the MrNice forum and think our community could benefit from your specialized experience.

Stay Hazed man,
Jake

5 Likes

Hey guys. I gifted hundreds of landrace seeds from India back when this site was up. They were a tropical sativa more toward haze that grew huge. I wish i still had some. Nowadays landrace seeds are almost impossible to find. I have traveled the world and smoked and talked to growers everywhere. But the real growers. Ones way the fuck up in the mountains. No phone, no electricity nobody for miles. And guess what. They all same the same thing, oh, my nephew, or my cousin sent me these seeds from, Canada, or Europe etc. why? today it is easy to get seeds and just because they are for sale people think they are good. I even went to a tropical island once and found a local stoner/grower living in a tree house and he pulled out a ten pack of beans. I can also tell you this, all commercial weed will be from feminized seeds in the next 5 years or so.

My old logo was
I smoke to get high!

10 Likes

I got some land races with pedigree, such as Punto Rojo Colombia, Kilimanjaro and Afghani… Not much but we’ll see what the future brings! Cheers guys!

10 Likes

I’m not as pessimistic - mass production commercial weed might become homogenized, but I think we’ll see the rise of a boutique “heirloom” or landrace niche too.

I’ve read articles about companies like Mindful in Colorado, they hired a guy from Texas with 20 years of commercial agriculture experience to run their cultivation. A few years ago he said he was collecting landrace genetics from around the world to save them and build the diversity of cannabis. They have millions of dollars in investment capital. I wouldn’t be surprised to eventually see trademarked landrace seeds for less money than today’s seeds. Once the legal barriers are completely down and competition kicks in you will see these niches explored.

14 Likes

I love the optimism, thank you for that @Muleskinner!

2 Likes

I pray that happens soon… @Muleskinner

1 Like

I agree with @Muleskinner. I also think that
landrace and heirloom seeds will be preserved and offered for sale in future.
It seems inevitable.
I also agree that we will see a reduction in the price of cannabis seeds, particularly as we proceed with more worldwide legalization.

I very seldom pay more than $5 for a pack of vegetable or flower seeds.
I just bought these this morning.
Most are much cheaper…these are actually pricey for only 15 seeds!

3 Likes

Found it! who says cannabis impairs memory, hook me up with a search engine and I can pull anything from the depths. National Geographic!

There was also the recent “Vice” episode on Strainhunters, you can see various landraces being grown in massive Spanish greenhouses.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2015/06/marijuana-science-drug-research-legality/

Hague is a self-described plantsman, a dirty-thumbed gardener since he was eight and a devotee of the great agricultural scientist Luther Burbank. For years Hague grew poinsettias, caladiums, chrysanthemums, and other plants at his family’s nursery in Texas. But now his attentions are lavished on much more lucrative buds.

He leads me through Mindful’s bustling front offices and into its interior corridors. In freezers Mindful stores seeds from all over—Asia, India, North Africa, the Caribbean. A world traveler who’s become something of a Johnny Appleseed for marijuana, Hague is extremely interested in the plant’s historical biodiversity, and his seed bank of rare, wild, and ancient strains is a significant part of Mindful’s intellectual property. “We have to recognize that humans evolved with it practically since the dawn of time,” he says. “It’s older than writing. Cannabis use is part of us, and it always has been. It spread from Central Asia after the last ice age and went out across the planet with man.”

8 Likes

Cuentame algo de tu Punto Rojo, primo…

Te pongo aqui lo que dicen ellos del strain, ya que no lohe germinado, ya pronto.

http://www.paisagrowseeds.com/productos/colombia-punto-rojo-regular-cannabiogen-colombia/

2 Likes

I wanted to clarify my previous post. I am not saying landraces don’t exist, just saying that in the future you won’t be able to find them in commercial weed. I love landrace strains and hope to be able to grow somemore sometime soon.

1 Like

wow, Punto Rojo sounds incredible - 16 - 24 semanas flowering time! that will grow right out of my tent.

…Traditional Colombian Creole lines have played a pivotal role in the history of psychoactive cannabis, from large marijuana exports to the United States during the 60-70 years, to its legacy that remains in modern varieties through such ubiquitous hybrids as haze or skunk # 1.

It is a country of lush vegetation and great geographical diversity, as we can find in it from mountain ranges close to 3000 m altitude (Bogotá or Cundinamarca) to extensive rainforests or practically desert areas.

These peculiarities in its orography favor the existence of many isolated territories and different microclimates in its mountains, with very concrete niches that have contributed to originate a great diversity of different ecotypes of cannabis.

4 Likes

Amigo yo no he recibido nada de tu parte. Seguro estas confundido… LOL

Yes, it seems like growing regular seeds, selecting and keeping motherplants and cloning is just too much hassle and work for small growers. They can much more easily grow from feminised seeds and seedbanks respond to this demand… This is ongoing major change on the market…

There is already thread about fem vs regular:

4 Likes

Mi querido amigo, enviame tu direccion por privado y te envio la mitad de las que tengo. Asi las cultivas y me das un reporte de sintonia… LOL

1 Like

Por que, si yo las tengo aqui a mano, y con mucho gusto te las envio, me mandes tu a mi o no. Relax MiG, yo soy de verdad!

2 Likes

i am going to start to ask old stoners and growers if they have any old seeds.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I do!
Any time I meet an old hippie I always slip seeds into the conversation.

No luck so far, but one day I’m going to ask the right old head and hit the jackpot.

:cactus:
Stay Hazed
Jake

6 Likes

When they found the Mongolian shaman’s stash from 2,700 years ago they tried to germinate his seeds! No luck unfortunately

So the scientific name for seeds is actually “achenes”…cool! Maybe they should have tried the paper towel method?

Germination was attempted with 100 achenes in compost, but no emergence was observed after 21 d.

9 Likes

Fijian landrace, week 10, by Greengenes Garden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDX0rYUdc3E

7 Likes