Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Thanks, It makes more sense now.

4 Likes

Good way to put it. The way I am starting to look at it, heirlooms are smaller isolated populations too, while landraces have vast populations. If I inbred a landrace for 50 years, it is now an heirloom…

8 Likes

20230528_191241
Turkish @GregOG

24 Likes

Please give us a smoke report on that one. I’ve heard Turkish cannabis has a more mellow effect. I’m assuming some individuals can be CBD-dominant. The Iraq Babylon landrace probably had its origins in Turkey.

5 Likes

What are the effects of Kali Mist. I’ve heard good things about the strain.

3 Likes

Couldn’t tell ya, curing atm

2 Likes

Kalamata

Malawi

22 Likes

Looking good. They are both healthy and happy.

4 Likes

I’m liking the look of the Kalamata, looks like they are going to be vigorous and branchy for sure.

I think that’s it, consequently too there is more genetic diversity. Compared to a landrace an heirloom will mostly be closer to an IBL. It’s the reliability repeatable characteristics that make an heirloom, so in general it’s a narrower expression of genetics.
Imho, it’s much easier to use a heirloom than a landrace in a breeding project for example because they tend to be more homozygous for particular traits, whereas a landrace may be broadly heterozygous with those traits existing within a range among a larger population. The greater diversity makes for better adaptation across a wider range of environments but on the flip side it also makes it more difficult to isolate particular traits reliably.

I kinda loosely look at it like:

Wild>Landrace >heirloom>IBL

9 Likes

@romanoweed will know
I’ll keep you posted about the Turkish. There are potent plants to be found, but surely cbd in half of them+

Perfect

8 Likes

@GREANDAL Nice looking plants. Can’t wait to see how they do for you in the summer sun.

4 Likes

Thank you :blush:

The Kalamata look like potential beasts don’t they? LOL As soon as the sun hit them they took off like mad. The Malawi actually taco’ed a little the first two days but is digging it now too.

3 Likes

What are the effects of Kali Mist. I’ve heard good things about the strain.

2 Likes

I’ve heard it’s like a good haze but I don’t know that for sure

4 Likes

I see a lot of people still confused about what kalimist is or was. Sagarmartha clearly state it was a haze hybrid. The Cambodian based plant used in it was not a full sativa. It was actually a more indica leaning type of plant from Nebraska. Most of the sativa looks and power and quality of the old kali mist and western winds came from the sativa side of the old originally made c5 seeds. If you look at old pictures coming from sensi grow rooms you will see the old nl5haze plants hitting the roof or being the most tallest in their rooms. All the tops would have new thin branches growing out of the buds and would look like they were reveging. Actually the clone sensi unveiled as jack herer which was a c5 crossed to skunk haze looked more like old kali mist. That jack herer clone was all strings with pearls type of plant. Sadly the parents to make the old version of nl5hz no longer are around which means kali mist also cant be made the same when they tried to go back to the original old type after messing about with it. This is a picture of old kali mist and how it typically looked, looks very similar to the old jack herer (fomaly silver haze) clone.

16 Likes

Kali mist/western winds crossed back to the Nebraskan cambodian type heirloom makes Stonehedge, which takes kalimist/western winds back more towards that indica hybrid type plant.

12 Likes

Interesting! I’m outta likes so thanks :blush:

4 Likes

And Stonehedge is one of the parents in the recent Celtic Stone grow by Draig and Lady Zandra, who were in Footloose with Kevin Bacon!

6 Likes

The Nebraska portion of the story, is very interesting. Cambodians have been in Nebraska since the late 70’s-early 80’s after the Vietnam War. There is a state park there that has a small group of Cambodians living there in the woods. That same park has 10ft cannabis hemp plants growing wild throughout the area. The Cambodian genetics were probably crossed to a broadleaf indica to shorten flowering times for indoor growth.

13 Likes

Just 3 days of good :sun_with_face: and wowsa

24 Likes