Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

But it’s a dry heat​:rofl::sweat_smile::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:
Always cracks me up when someone local to your area says that😁
Thanks @Dirt_Wizard. Bodhi Peshawar. I think that one is a bit wild/ feral, but I don’t recall why I had that impression.
I think I talked Holy Smoke seeds into breaking into his Peshawar seed stash. He had lots of inquiries during my seed run, and I harassed him for seeds a few times. Every few months i send a message telling him he should give me the seed or run them himself. I think he will repro a new batch in South Africa soon.

7 Likes

Incredible!
One day you might walk outside to find a deer up on a latter trying to get those tops. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

I can’t figure out what’s is worst, 119 with 0 - 2% humidity or 93 with 93% humidity like we get. :sun_with_face:

5 Likes

I have a bunch more sunflowers in the backyard. As they start to dry up and the butterflies and bees no longer swarm the flowers I cut them off. I then take them into the woods across the street for the deer and squirrels.

5 Likes

Nice!
If any neighbors have chickens, you probably could barter the tops for a dozen. The chickens go crazy for tops with all those seeds.

4 Likes

That’s my vote. Humidity sucks the life out of you. I spent a summer in virginia when I was sixteen and I remember one day It was ninety eight degrees, With ninety nine percent humidity. With the humidity, I felt like a 125. My hair spray didn’t stand a chance! :rofl::sweat_smile::rofl::joy:( so embarrassing) As soon as you step outside your clothes would stick to you with moisture.
But hot is hot, no matter the type of heat. I don’t like any of it.

5 Likes

That’s awesome. what kind of sunflower?

1 Like

It is my creation. It is a cross between a Crimson Queen and a Kong Hybrid sunflower. That is an F3

4 Likes

Very cool. Ever give seeds away?

3 Likes

Naw lived in new Orleans and in Phoenix. Go with dry heat all day. Trying to breathe air soup sucks. The humidity creeps in everywhere and makes you sweat gallons. Dry heat you are dehydrated so quickly you barely sweat.lmao​:rofl::rofl::sob:.

Here’s my Oaxacan x red snake that were crazy stunted but they have jumped nicely.

And ancestral skunk x Turkish hash plant

Peshawar Afghani

15 Likes

I dont know anyone else who grows sunflower. I keep a few seeds from each plant. Strange things happen when you mix sunflowers. Some of the plants are straight up mutants. Multiple sunflower heads fused together, strange knots grow along the stalk, flat wide flower stalks inside of round.

5 Likes

My wife and I feed A ridiculous amount of sunflower seeds to the birds each year and we get dozens And dozens of volunteers. Chipmunks seem to enjoy planting the seed, often putting them in my plant containers. If you have any extra at seasons end I would happily grow some next year.

Meangreen week 22 of flower

14 Likes

@Upstate
Here in central Oklahoma our heat index was126 last week
Oaxacans don’t care…tho.

7 Likes

Hmmmm… dare I run some outdoor Oaxacan in AZ next year? :thinking:

7 Likes

@HeadyBearAdventures
I say go for it.

5 Likes

Mine are not full sun…they are in a ‘culdesac’ between three buildings but did great. The seclusion keeps the wind (its an oklahoma thing) from killing them.

16 Likes

Yeah I was born in OKC, the main concern here in AZ is the wildly low humidity during the growing season.

6 Likes

Oh yes I second that! I sure hope you dare! :slight_smile: It would be glorious! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well I have almost a year to plan, and a fine bamboo privacy fence growing in… I’ll keep you posted :grin::bear:

6 Likes

Hey just a note that KwikSeeds/RealSeedCo dropped a repro last month of an Azad Kashmir accession. 40 bucks for 12 seeds; I bet there’s some fine plants to be found

7 Likes