Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Ohhh… he’s pretty. :heart_eyes::bear:

Robert Clarke in an new Interwiew.

5 Likes

Papua New Guinea Gold?

I got it from the Broski circle around 2016 and grew em in 2018.

Theres also a line Doc D got from someone who died a few yrs ago, and I think that’s the same line going around on Facebook

3 Likes

That’s a great talk they are having…mojave richmond …Sage and big sur holy good info!

PNG what came from Azure over Icmag is the one Ive seen …It was picked up by a few people

3 Likes

What do folks say she smokes like?

1 Like

You mean the sage or the png?

the sage hes talking about how it evolved out of what he remember of the original big sur holy

He’s also childhood friend of adam dunn and how the THseeds Sage came about…and on the Grow Belusi tv show recently

Ive grown the Sage and its a sandalwood sort of cedar with a mind trip sort of cheech and chong weed

2 Likes

PNG specifically.
I grew SAGE years ago, and thought it was amazing, even though it was my first grow ever, and I totally fucked it up. :laughing:

2 Likes

Azure thread @ Icmag

4 Likes

Perfecto. Much love.
I think I’ve got a trade set up for the Goroka Highlands repro that was done here, so just doing my homework.

3 Likes

Yeah, That’s the one Azure

Its really impressive Electric looking plants

2 Likes

I just read the thread you linked, great stuff and good info.

3 Likes

i found it interesting that Robert Clarke is also saying: Landraces are made “by the People in orchester with the Enviroment”. He also says that he hasnt much faith this still occurs today.

Alltho the Marrocan-example was the most drastic one. There its close to impossible to find good Marrocan. Its still a bad Trend worldwide

Also interesting how someone says the Market is very unlikely to sell the higher priced Landraces, just because it doesent sell aswell. And that its an unusul high investion to even produce the Landraces bud, wich means the same thing. Few people sell Landrace bud or dont even try. And that even tho some folks have this interest in it… (its basically to niche, to unsave of a Market).

I like how he says that, its sort of an optimistic View actually, because he says its actually only the Money in between the Consumer who sometimes wants high class Weed, and the Manufacturer.
I totally share this way of Thinking… Also the Holland Example where they said: for a long Time Holland weed was atleast to a Degree high quality, and that it was astonishing that the Pricepoint wasnt as important.

It gives a clue what should have to happen in Future: that people stop looking on the Finances, wich of corse might even be prevented by overregulatory difficulties…
And that Landraces cant easily be taken/produced from origin Countries, atleast its not a save bet really…
Im thinking one day it might be possible to cheap produce Landrace in Thailand with the Paradigmshift in Laws. Also cheap to reproduce them. costs by Nature should be comparably low

5 Likes

It’s probably really cheap to produce landrace product in Thailand. It’s running Thai strains here that isn’t so cheap. Landraces are a vertical market right now, possibly, but as people start to learn that there’s more diversity in effect and those effects are better than the sameness of modern hybrids, they’re bound to become more popular.

Once I find some stellar landrace phenos perfect for me, it’s going to be worth all the trouble. Until then I have to make extracts and have faith that day will come.

14 Likes

That day will come. Stay the course. The fun is in the journey. :flying_saucer: :milky_way:

6 Likes

Don’t think about the time involved, grow the plant. Be prepared to grow a lot of them.

6 Likes

I will say that it is possible to produce landraces profitably in temperate/cool climate (Maine, USA) where regulation is not extremely burdensome and there is a VERY low barrier to entry - there is a medical supplier here who specializes in landraces and is regularly sold out. Most of it on pre-order actually. He is the only one on the legal east coast market that i’m aware of that actually has pure sativas, Ofcourse this is just one case study, but a promising one for the future prospect of landrace availability and commercial viability.

8 Likes

I don’t know why there aren’t more companies making landrace extracts. I can understand the pressure to sell product with high THC on the label. That’s what consumers think they should be looking for. But extracts are as strong as you want them to be.

It’s probably a matter of pounds per acre.

5 Likes

yeah, at first it sounded good, but now i realize its still supplying only a fraction of the whole Market. hence its sold out,
If you compare to Holland in the 90s, there were times where god strains with some class were plenty. or like in california once, quality higher… on a wide scale.
Or switzerland once…

and now it all became garbage…
in “agriculture” often every cent will determine if a product is rejected more or less… its not as scalable as you might think, not easily… i guess…
i hope im wrong!

2 Likes

This provider in Maine that is selling out of landraces doesn’t even list THC %s, terpenes or flavors/taste.

Just from a stand point of pure numbers, it comes down to how many cycles you can churn out per year, the 6-8 week flowering lines win all day on the turn around compared to the real long time flower 16-26 weekers. There has also been a campaign to villify anything that looks like a equatorial/tropical long time flower as larfy or hempy. So the consumers have associated density with quality, that also aligns with the commercial interests.

The wine industry poses and interesting analogy. One of the guys from Zomia collective put it really well on a thread in reddit but basically it boils down to the fact that the long time flowering (grape) varieties can create a higher caliber end product that fetches more money but the longer period of time means more chances for disease to take hold or for birds to eat your fruits approaching harvest, etc. It’s possible that at this point business men just think it’s too risky to try to charge more for a product that people think is trash because of the way it looks. I think it’s all about the proper marketing and that it’s possible but may take some time to build your brand. Intuitively it will make sense for landraces to become true top shelf, the way that wild harvested food costs wayy more than traditionally farmed/commercial varieties (IE blueberries) and typically carry a more nutritious profile. Or white rice versus wild rice

12 Likes

If I had a vertical dispensary, I’d create Thai stick cigars or something similarly novelty. People would buy it once for its novelty, and come back for the effects.

7 Likes