Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

yes yes, there is Chance for betterment if each Vendor takes a small amount of Risk and sells atleat one two highclass Products. Everyone has to push it into market , if its passion behind then there is chance, but it takes many of these passionate Vendors over long periods , till it becomes more the norm. slowely but steady.
and one two more of such Landracevendors are shure possible without oversaturating the Landracemarket .

2 Likes

the same goes for the Producers, only small steps, each at the Time, growing mostly skunk and shit, and producing one two Landraces .

3 Likes

They could also give out free prerolls with purchases of prettier product. Drug dealers do this in the schoolyard all the time because it’s a proven tactic to increase sales.

2 Likes

I think the way to do it successfully in the current legal market would be to focus on hash strains and faster flowering sativas, pheno hunt and cannabinoid / user test to find ideal clones for each strain with good chemotypes/aromas, have a detailed writeup for each strain with pictures and history and effect profiles because part of the battle is lack of knowledge about landraces and where all the cannabis strains come from. Maybe focus on more famous (I know) cultivars as 50-75% core lineup and expand from there. The idea of doing thai stick / cob / hash / other strain appropriate preparation methods is great, maybe even processing them into concentrates for better consumer appeal. Landrace live resin / live rosin from some strains would do very well in certain markets with detailed cannabinoid testing to push sales. Having it be very easy for the consumer to try, like a preroll or a vaporizer. In locations where its legal to do so the retailer could even include landrace seeds as a freebie with an item.

3 Likes

Peshawar Afghani

Ancestral skunk x Turkish hash plant

Got work the canopy but it should be solid great structure.

Here’s the only Oaxacan to be female

17 Likes

Lookin good! How much light are they under? How many hours of light?

They are under 12/12 and right now I have a viparspectra 150w over a Bruce banner #3 and next to it wit these are under vivosun 100w but

this just happened and is on the way so they’ll all be under a mars hydro fc-e3000! Woohoo
The as x thp is looking tough going to have a nice flat surface I’m kinda excited it’s going well! Got 2 swazipulco going and 2 Oaxacan x red snake but they are small lol

3 Likes

Everything is production based now that weed has become an agricultural commodity. The ‘traits of interest’ are very narrowly defined. Landrace types are caught between the agronomics on the one hand and consumer demand on the other. From a farming perspective they are just not as productive/profitable, from the dispensary’s perspective they don’t present as well, often lack the raw thc content and appeal to only a niche market and are harder to turn over.
Customers are conditioned to think according to the zeitgeist, rolled round balls of cookies and gelato IS what weed looks and smokes like to most of the commercial market sadly.
That said it’ is very far from unique to cannabis; all domesticated crops follow this same pattern, where the gene pools become increasingly narrow until some pathogen comes along and wipes it out, or the environment changes and can’t adapt etc. Let’s say as a comparison it’s wheat, there are may still be wild and landrace varieties but the bushels don’t fill as well, the grains are smaller and don’t have as much protein content, don’t mill as easily and require more bleaching to make flour etc. The landrace varieties of wheat may well make a better loaf of bread, be more healthy, be more resilient etc. but the commercial aspects of the profit driven market have won the day and wheat is now so bottlenecked that it isn’t able to adapt to drier hotter conditions and rising soil salinity etc.

The same thing is happening with cannabis, and to be fair it’s been going on since hybrids took over. Most every hybrid has skunk or northern lights in it somewhere, the gene pool is one big two headed inbred family.
So now we have HLV running rampant and people getting 50% hermies in packs of seeds.

The answer to all that doom and gloom then brother is to collect, grow, multiply, enjoy and share as many of the landrace and heirlooms as you can, at some point the genetic diversity they contain are going to be needed.
You can guarantee that HLV resistance won’t be found in any elite hybrid clone that’s for sure.

12 Likes

but there is one Difference to other Plant Species: Cannbis , grown say in Africa where there are huge empty Lands, grown by cheap workers, dude its one of the most Profitable Crops ever…
So, the smaller Yeald of Landraces would still mean, that its just a bit less than “super duper cheap” to Produce.

So, yeah, would it be legal to export from a cheap sunny Country , not much Taxes and such then i wouldnt see as much difficulty as you paint it.

3 Likes

That’s an import model that relies of cheap foreign labor, so that’s not always squeaky clean.
Perhaps a fair trade model like some of the coffee and vanilla beans?
I’m agreeing with your advocating for landraces btw and I think their time will come again when everything devolves into genetic cookies grey goo.

7 Likes

Landraces and NLD heirlooms are going to hit, and change, the market here in NY.
In WA, they have been a big hit out of Kiona Farms.
They really dont take that much more money to grow when using the sun, just a couple months of heating in Nov/Dec in the greenhouse.
Im gonna let the farm hit the market with a couole pounds as R&D here and see how it goes. I still possess the genetics, but they can sell the flower - that makes it easy and follows the Vibes philosophy of not selling genetics to the market, just the final product.
As it is, Piff / CBH has the highest demand, so it should translate well.
Ive been envisioning this for a decade now and its finally coming to fruition.

15 Likes

Average cost of production in WA state is 35-65 cents per gram.
Average cost of production in Zimbabwe is 3 cents per gram (that includes extraction cost)
Forecasted price per gram once international trade opens up is $1/gram.
Originally (as per 2014 talks with powers that be) international trade was slated for 2025, but thats being delayed because of soaring profits. But I see interstate opening around 2025 and then international within 5 yrs after that. For now, price per gram is highest in NY, so that is allowing exotics and landraces to become viable whereas in WA the price plummeted so quick that landraces became such a tiny portion of the market.

6 Likes

I’m feeling this one too. Late season heated greenhouses. Extraction and pre-rolls for the really airy stuff. And then educate the public about the benefits of a pure sativa.

7 Likes

I’m sort of against testing as a vehicle for breeding. I think that’s part of the problem with modern strains. I doubt all the minor cannabinoids have been isolated, and breeding for specific cannabinoids probably means breeding out other cannabinoids.

Instead, having a large testing panel performing smoke tests might be better for the plant and its users.

8 Likes

I think it is one useful tool in breeding cannabis but far from the only or best one, and it can be used very poorly and to the detriment of the overall plant, especially when the selection criteria is for high THC (THC-C5) out of all of the range of cannabinoids. The science has been held back artificially and it is still in the early stages of understanding how all the cannabinoids contribute to the effect profile / duration / intensity of strains - specifically differing carbon side chain lengths in the main four cannabinoids CBG, THC, CBD, and CBC. CBDV (CBD-C3), THCV (THC-C3), THCB (THC-C4), THCH (THC-C6), THCP (THC-C7), are the only isolated ones with significant user data available and that’s only the tip of the iceberg. So you are right that even with the better testing options that have come about in the past few years the testing will miss things and stuff can be lost chasing percentages for a specific cannabinoid. Definitely has with some high THC selection work and some terpene selection work as well.

That being said…we would not have the increased availability of high CBDV / THCV, high CBG, and zero THC cultivars with stabilized ratios without testing, and I think those are very medically useful (and also a very useful tool for breeders looking for specific chemotypes). As research further advances on the rest of the phytocannabinoids in cannabis, I think testing will continue to be a useful tool to select for specific chemotypes. Hopefully even one day it could be used to help preserve these unique chemotypes for landrace preservation purposes. Extensive user testing like you said would also be needed to correlate the effects of specific cannabinoid ratios / percentages.

I don’t mean to reduce landraces down to chemotypes, I think there is a lot more to them than just that, on a lot of levels. I made the mistake earlier on of thinking the magic was just from extra THCV, but now I realize my mistake. What I described in my first comment is not my ideal scenario for landraces to become more available to the public but what might work given the current messy reality of the legal market and uphill battle landrace strains face against established and hype strains with more PR $ behind them. I really hope eventual international legalization will allow a lot more of the value to go back to the farmers/breeders growing and preserving these landrace strains in their native countries often at great personal risk.

8 Likes

This looks hella wild like those old illustrations of cannabis

Heres the brother for comparison

17 Likes

13 Likes

I have SATIVA and CBG versions of this. How do you like the THCV?

4 Likes

I felt calm and very focused. Functional.
I really like these

7 Likes

Nice. They’re on sale at my service for only $18.

2 Likes