Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

I just scrapped my whole Colorado Sativa’s mullumbimby madness expansion due to hermies out of 4 plants I only kept one female so I will at least get some smoke out of it :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I’ve found fine diatomaceous earth better than flour for pollen storage. It doesn’t clump and works as a desiccant.

13 Likes

Yeah I really enjoyed that Cambodian (kampuccia red)
There were two different phenos in there green/red.
The green was a fair to middle grade smoke. The red had a little kick to it I really enjoyed it. Easy to grow for sativas, I think they went about 16 maybe 18 weeks. There were quite a few herms in that batch we did quite a bit of culling if I remember correctly. I’m pretty sure I caught them all before it was too late but I’d be careful, well worth the risk.
On another side note I’m kind of sad to hear the mullumby madness and the Burmese both hermed that makes three from Colorado sativas that I’ve heard of so far that have done that. (Nanan baclou) and they we’re both in the vault and on the list. Looks like I may have to do a little rethinking

11 Likes

Makes me wonder how that happens, are they deriving their ascension from hermi seed do you think ? Maybe it’s environment stress? People say that SE Asian genetics can be prone to hermi but that’s not been my experience when growing in the tropics, and yet it seems a common experience on OG. It’s a mystery :rofl:

6 Likes

I don’t think Gary really watches them like that he just tosses a bunch of seed in a hoop house and comes back end of season then he collects seed and gives the left over flower and chaff to all the homeless down town for free :slight_smile: I guess that’s why we can get a pack of 20 for 25$ lmao makes sense really lol

4 Likes

My experience from growing out an assortment of landrace genetics is that they typically herm. I chalk it all up to environment. That Burmese male was in a tent w 24hrs of LED light then flipped to 12/12 … they just don’t know what to do. It’s a completely foreign environment and that’s stressful. Even domesticates I’ve grown outside get really stressed from the foreign environment and will often herm.
As well, these Burmese were from Kwik Seeds, not the Colorado place.
I also have two Burmese females in the ground and they’re doing great - let’s just see tho :smirk:

15 Likes

Same as old Cambo. Long flowering. Cambo Red is a very old landrace. There were lots of hermies round one. They were removed. But can’t rule out that some of their pollen hit the good ladies. @YoBigdaddy will have better info. These came straight from Cambodian farmers.
@calman1955 if you’re willing to wait and you remember to remind me when my schedule slows down I have a pack for you.
For pollen, dry it as much as possible. Put in the fridge with dry rice. I’ve used rice to dry my pollen out, and then I swap out the rice,( 2 times) put new rice in, and into the fridge. There are better ways, like @drgreensleeves mentioned, but in a pinch rice works ok.

5 Likes

I wonder if some hermaphrodite nailed all of his plants. It’s always been a concern of mine that he keeps them all in the same greenhouse. I don’t know how on earth with plants growing in the ground that He is able to keep everything separate and do multiple strains.

7 Likes

Strange. My plants hardly ever hermie on me. One plant a year on average. I’m always running rather low with my nitrogen supply. I wonder if that makes a difference.

8 Likes

n. haze * mm took at 16 weeks but still not done.

peace …

23 Likes

Smoke any yet?

3 Likes

Oooh yes , smoke report please :slight_smile: inquiring minds want to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

that was from years ago my friends.

peace …

1 Like

some VELVET RUSH from the same time frame.

blue moonshine “pre blueberry genetics” --DJ SHORTS another 16-20 week strain i was not able to finish.

peace …

15 Likes

as you can see im quite crappy with sativa strains, also i was not the grower then as i am now sooo there is that fact.

peace …

2 Likes

Has anyone any Laos that need saved / released from a slow but certain death in fridge prison ?

6 Likes

I don’t know either but my buddy is growing some nanan bouclous, ciskeis, and purple satellites right now and so far nobody looks crossed as far as my nooby eyes can tell :eyes: Purple satellites are huge, purple, and already loaded with sweet smelling buds. Ciskeis are closer to neon green, medium sized and sparse, no flower action besides one yanked male; and the nanan bouclous are the shortest and bushiest and darkest green (though not by much) looking almost like indicas until they started pumping out thin leaves later in life. They’re budding up but well behind the P.S. All the p.s. look like siblings, all the ciskei look like siblings, the nanny boo boo all look like siblings, but no variety looks related to another. Not to mention that none of the seeds between these three looked similar.

I’ll let you know how they all smoke but as of right now I’m of the opinion that all this talk of cross pollination is just rumours and anti-hype, as far as I can remember it started here with idle speculation from one guy and now it’s grown to everybody parroting it without a pic of proof :man_shrugging: I’ll make sure to change that closer to harvest time :wink:

12 Likes

Parroting is everywhere , I tend to ignore it also , till I know firsthand
: )

6 Likes

According to Colorado Sativas, he does not keep them all in the same green house.

4 Likes

Maybe the difference is that I cull them :blush:

Ok, I’ve edited it to add this… That was my first reply, but I need to not start squabbles. I do think saying that Landrace genetics are going to be totally stable outside their native environment is a little ambitious, to say the least. And then to turn it into something like my nitrogen might be too high, again is a little snooty. So I just reversed it and offered up the opinion and maybe its about you (not culling). It’s easy to make opinions like this and basically why most weed forums are shit -shows.
I do stand by my “claim” that landrace genetics, like most all canna, will herm when stressed and that environment plays a big part in herming and that domesticates outside their domesticated environs are easily stressed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes