Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

I believe most in this thread would like some!

My Oaxacan and Peshawar are cut and drying and have now picked up a hay, cut grass smell but is feeling dry. Should I let it dry until smell is gone or jar it up now and sweat it out? Idk please help

6 Likes

I donā€™t know many vendors that currently carry Vietnamese strains for sale other than Vietnam Black and Hoa Bac so my assumption was always that they are just not widely available. However, I know @Zomia Collective are currently in north Vietnam collecting seeds with the hopes of releasing them possibly late Jan or Feb.

Thatā€™s awesome, will this be your first visit? I loved visiting Vietnam, great people and really amazing food! It would be so cool to see some pics of wild weed growing if youā€™re able. Happy travels!

5 Likes

@420noob I hope others have some better info/advice for you because whenever Iā€™ve had fully dried flower with that hay smell Iā€™ve never gotten it to improve. I do have some plants that smell like hay/grass after the first few days of being cut but usually it improves as it dries further and ends up smelling like it did while in flower.

6 Likes

Itā€™s not fully dry yet just close

1 Like

I was in there communing and took these pictures:

Also, I noticed the buds are starting to get sticky, but not greasy. More like wax, so resin is probably pretty thick. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s significant, just an observation.

18 Likes

Ok so bucked buds still to moist so threw in Walmart bag folded over handles and put in double paper bag. That should sweat them out slowly I hope.

Oaxacan clone hit for the 3rd time with Oaxacan pollen( overkill because pollen may not be viable)

20 Likes

This will be my second time there but not sure how to bring it back it a big deal if getting caught for bringing seeds back of any kind

2 Likes

Not if bred for resin. Iā€™ve seen some resin covered plants( pictures) that hail from Siberia. I canā€™t say how big the resin heads are, but there can be lots of them, typically containing only cbd in many parts of Russia, but also containing thc in some instances. For whatever reason, the ruderal thc plants seem to be found only East of an imaginary line drawn straight North from around Afghanistan. Anything Iā€™ve seen from West of this line is cbd, hempy, and autoflowering. East of this line there are thc/ cbd plants, similar to what would be found in Kazakhstan.
The good news is the thc. I had never seen anything with thc North of around 44 degrees latitude, and with no breeding( feral) I still think the cold favors cbd production. However, there is a former ancient hotspot of drug plant growing that reaches up to 48 degrees latitude or so, and here is where the thc plants are found. Whether they are naturally to be found there, or whether thc plants were brought there, I donā€™t know for sure, but it seems like these plants are natural. These plants are photo plants, not autos. Still havenā€™t seen a natural Northern thc autoflower, but I now think they could exist.

9 Likes

Mail yourself a letter. Bring a small 2x3 inch( r piece of corrugated cardboard to put them in. Mail it from the airport or near it and you will be long gone before anyone could know the contentsšŸ˜.dm for details.

12 Likes

Hey neat! Thai medical research says cannabis roots can restore lung damage caused by covid.

9 Likes

Hereā€™s another option
Get a small bag of mixed health granola//nut mix snacks that contains sesame ,sunflower,nuts raisins ect
Chuck a few of your beans in and put in your pocket//
Fish them out on the other side

12 Likes

Ummmā€¦

How?.. I mean how are prepared to take. Infusion, tea?
That is interestingā€¦ Only for testing that will not hurt.

3 Likes

I believe I read from @Oldtimerunderground that he makes teas with the roots. Def cool idear. Sorry if I got that tag wrong.

2 Likes

NEVER a doubt in this world!!! Certainly of interest, Bro. Wishing you success on your upcoming adventure. Do take care, enjoy, stay safe, and be wellā€¦mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve heard the root tea is good for root health and just for plants in general. Is that how it should be used for human consumption?

Yeah man! Ruderalis gets a bad rap but I think thereā€™s a lot more potential there than people realize, look at this photo I scraped from the Mandala Seeds page for their Siberian Ruderalis:

Pretty good pretty good :blush:

Wish I had gotten some stuff from Russian Landrace Bureau when I had the cash, but Iā€™m glad that folks are seeing the interest and potential in bringing wild genetics back into the modern pool. Khalifia, RSC, a bunch of others all have SR but it seemed like RLB was the source for a lot of them the same way Irrazinig and his team are for Zomia genetics. Soviet Finland has some cool stuff too, I gave my little brother a bunch of autoflowers already sprouted and potted and he killed all of them except a cross of their genetics, their RK62 x Diesel Ryder by @Oldtimerunderground he gave me here a while ago when I first asked about trying autos. Thatā€™s a progression of an old Finnish autoflower line named Pehkruder and SF named it after their version of the AK47 :joy: very Finnish!

Iā€™ve been thinking about the findings of scientists recently with DNA and other technologies, that say the precursor to cannabis originated in Central Asia, spread around including to the Himalayas where it speciated into the cannabis sativa we have now, probably in Nepal or the general area. Then it spread from there back out, but what about that precursor species? I have to look up the name of it but what if ruderalis is just that with the returned genetics backcrossed into it by natural wind pollination? Bringing back the autoflowering, monoecious genetics that had begun to be bred out of it by humans? We see lots of autoflowering and intersex traits in wild landraces almost anywhere itā€™s been loose evolving and acclimatizing for long enough, maybe that is why?

Just spitballing here but I think Iā€™m going to keep reading and thinking about this angle, I want to see what the geneticists say and Iā€™m curious about teosinte grass and corn and whether something similar happened or happens there. Corn is one of the other crops that humans domesticated and bred into something wildly different through a dedicated genetic project encompassing many generations of effort by an entire advanced society, maybe thatā€™s the right model to think about early cannabis evolution too.

This is a cool paper, itā€™s the genetic research that showed maize was made from teosinte around 9000 years ago in a concerted effort by peoples in Southern Mexico:

Evolution of maize.pdf (397.5 KB)

8 Likes

Does anyone know what the longest flowering pure indica (WLD) is?

2 Likes

I would be very cautious about drinking the root tea, as oral consumption of boiled roots has been used to induce vomitting, according to this research:

Now one can make the case that boiled roots and root tea are two different degrees of heat exposure/duration, hereā€™s the second half of that chart:

if anybody would like to read further:

8 Likes

Thanks more info is good I like this idea.

Iā€™m doing a Sinai pheno hunt on another site, but thereā€™s not a lot of interest there and Iā€™ve learned that OGres are pretty interested in landraces. Iā€™m putting a summary here, but if you want the whole thread, youā€™ll have to use Google -sorry.

Out of 16 (actually 20) phenos I started with, only one passed all of my tests:

• Although many females were semi-autoflowering, she isnā€™t.
  • A couple females hermed. She didnā€™t.
  • Some werenā€™t suitable for cloning because they werenā€™t developing enough understory. She didnā€™t have that problem either.
  • Not all of the phenos exhibited the ā€œTurkish Delightā€ rose scent. She has this, mixed with a delightful lavender, to evoke a true bouquet!
  • Sheā€™s nearly as potent as the hybrids in my tent, and a great evening smoke.

So I consider this first hunt a success. Iā€™m going to breed this clone with males from the seeds I have left and run those next opportunity. Iā€™ll also self her to save my improvements.

This is day 50, and the one drawback is that I canā€™t treat her like a hybrid. I overfed her with chicken and goat poop early on and sheā€™s been fighting it like a champ the whole time. I flushed her a few days ago and yesterday flushed her really heavily.

Next steps are to create another regular generation from this pheno and the males in her generation, and selfing her to save her genetics.

26 Likes