Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

That’s the problem with getting “improved” strains from other breeders. Improvements always means lost genetics. If you want the full genetic potential, you probably want unworked strains.

4 Likes

I’m having a dilemma here, I have decided to revist some Sativas after my December attempt went south while on vacation. I made this list of potential candidates for a hunt. I can’t run them all but I’m looking to narrow this list down to 4 strains. Anyone who wants to chime in and give their opinion on what they think would be the most unique or interesting please feel free! This run will happen at the end of the year as I have a Co-Op run starting soon, that I have to complete first. Thanks everyone! Have a wonderful day! :pray::blush:

9 Likes

Everyone seems to like watermelon hashplant. For me…
Oaxaca😁.
Sssc Durban
Destroyer f2

5 Likes

I grew it. Flowers 15/16 weeks outdoors. Easy to control height. Nice buds. Occasionally pineapple. Potent. Pm possible.

5 Likes

Hoa Bac. please :grin:

2 Likes

I grew a couple of Destroyers last summer. They’re nice. I did a little repro. Happy to send you some.

7 Likes

I’d love some. I’ve heard lots of good things about it.

That was my next choice.

4 Likes

No, in a 3 gallon pot they grew to about 4 1/2 feet. Definitely stretched. Angus told me that there may be 3 phenos. I have seen new plants grown from RSC and I’m told they grow differently and smoke different. As I mentioned before, mine have a pineapple taste that I haven’t heard anyone else mention. Also the longer you keep them in flower (and it never seems to really finish) the higher something, maybe THC is.

2 Likes

Highland Thai, Just because I’d like to see how you handle em indoors if that’s where your grow space is…

1 Like

I’d like to see what your Destroyer F2’s do.

4 Likes

Kali Mist - was a queen in the 90’s
Vibes Collective Lambsbread - for the love of NLD long flowering
Hoa Bac - silver strain
Highland Thai - classic !

4 Likes

Hey guys, it’s been a little while. I hope everyone is well.

Damn, brother, that’s quite the strain list you’ve got there!

With that many strains to choose from, and to only pick four to grow, is as difficult a task as there could ever be for a seed-whore like me, especially when it comes to bonafide old school sativas!

But, alas, I have picked four strains.
It was by no means an easy task, but I do know each of these strains individually, intimately and I have experience in growing these beautiful sativas!

SSH

Destroyer F2

Zipolite Oaxacan 1

Malawi Gold

I’ve grown nearly all the strains on your list, at one time or another, over the past few decades. Some sativas are very long winded and will flower forever, if you let ‘em.

Malawi Gold is considered to be one of the rarest cannabis strains in the world. If you have MG seeds, considered that next time you pick seeds to grow.

Later guys!

10 Likes

Nice list @OG_Caveman . I’m gonna explore some Destroyer in the future, so I’d be interested in seeing how the f2s you have do. The Panama Red I grew was nice as well and highland Thai could be a real adventure. 24 wks of flowering to end up with buds that look like so,

This one is a little Squirrel Tail sampler from seed collected from the mainland by TL. It went close to 26 wks under 11/13 .
:v::canada:

26 Likes

What a treasure @Budderton, congrats on seeing her/them through to the Finish. I’m feeling it, in a good way too! Lol

Puff Puff Pass

6 Likes

Vibes Lambsbread
Destroyer F2s
Hoa Bac
final selection>Viet 7 x Thai or Congolese or SSC Durban

Tough to pick just 1 for the 4th :grin:

7 Likes

Yes and no, I guess it depends on the who and how, and the end purposes of grower. unless it’s for preserving, in my experience landrace types are very difficult to use in a breeding project because they are so heterozygous that traits are difficult to lock down with reliability. This crossing and back crossing with more cooperative genetics is partly an attempt to fix the defining traits of the original strain as much as it is often done to tame them for indoors.
Else most customers will struggle with the fact that what they end up growing is not really like the description and they complain.

I guess what I’m saying is that the issue isn’t so much the breeding practices as much as the false claims about their provenance.

I personally feel that many of the really good varieties I’ve grown have been worked by human hands to some degree, either by breeders or at the point of origin by the original farmers. I see them as heirlooms rather than landrace. We have better access to these type of genetics now than we ever have, so it’s a double edged sword I guess.

6 Likes

the cold weather is ending here and I have been holding a very rare Dan Chang thai lady - if anyone wants a cut DM me…

14 Likes

The Dang Chang Wants and Available Space Conundrum

4 Likes

Why is very rare?

3 Likes

Over 2 meters.