Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Those were started inside and then put out. I think sativas deserve sunlight.

4 Likes

Keeping them small as I can for now, we’ve got Aruka Valley x Malawi Gold and (Mullumbimby Madness x Nevils Haze) x Malawi Gold seedlings close to the light , in small containers and freshly misted.

:v::canada:

22 Likes

Nice!
I’ve got 5 @ NH18 x MM x NH21 x MML about to pop.
It will be cool to see how they mix with the Malawi Gold.

Do you guys think Mullumbimby Madness qualifies as an heirloom?
Maybe I can get away with posting here and the Haze thread. :grin:

7 Likes

Looks like your pictures didn’t load…

Rare - at least for me

I received them quite awhile ago - got the last 2 beans to pop last year.

these seeds were sent directly from Thailand, from the grower…

6 Likes

I think yes. It was/has been grown in the same geological spot for so long that it is named after that specific region. Now is Nevils Haze to be considered a heirloom? I think if MM can be called an heirloom then so can NH. Just my 2 cents.
:grin::v:

7 Likes

Imho, they are both totally heirlooms, they have been around a very long time!

10 Likes

I agree completely with @slain and @Budderton . The fact that they have been cherished and reproduced for so long is the very meaning of “ heirloom”. At least for me.

7 Likes

RE: Nevil’s and MM

Definitely special genetics if you can get the real deal.

Be cautious/attentive about the provenance. Lotttta copy cats and watered down versions. For example, the modern Nevil’s from MNS or whoever has it commercially available now =/= Nevil’s from before 1998.

6 Likes

MALAWI GOLD X GRINSPOON

23 Likes

Nevil made Nevils Haze in 97 and the MM was being grown well before 78.

None of these in my opinion are heirlooms, I think of them as hybrids.

Heirloom Vegetables

To be capable of being saved, all heirloom seed must be open-pollinated, so that the plant will grow true to seed. Open-pollinated—or OP—plants are simply varieties that are capable of producing seeds that will produce seedlings just like the parent plant. Hybrid plants do not do this.

How do you know if a plant is heirloom?

How experts define heirlooms can vary, but typically they are at least 50 years old, and are often pre-WWII varieties. Most heirlooms come from seed that has been handed down for generations in a particular region or area, hand-selected by gardeners for a special trait.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of both varieties.

10 Likes

Mine came from OJD of Connoisseur Genetics.

2 Likes

It’s rarity is due to it being a lesser known Tenasserim Hills open pollinated landrace from the Dan Chang district of Eastern Thailand.

I believe this particular Thai landrace variety is a very rare accession from the local tarawadee gene pool grown for generations by several local families. These traditional people are protective of their genetics. These genetics are not watered down in any way and this landrace has been selectively grown for many, many generations, in the same area.

It grows nice dense colas that have an incense spice flavor.

If you have the patience to grow equatorial sativas or Thai strains, then this one may be worth the wait. This one can take 140+ days to flower.

7 Likes

Heirlooms can be anything that has belonged to a family for several generations that has value…If you have something from your granddaddy its an hieirloom. Plants are no different.

2 Likes

What’s with the ‘top secret’ prices for TLT?

Everything is a hybrid though just matter of degrees…

3 Likes

Haa, haa, haa! No Idea! Guess that ‘maybe’ it allows them to change prices without upsetting people??? They seem to indicate you need to email them for more info & prices?

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

Heirlooms and hybrids are 2 diferant things. It’s rare to find anything that’s not a hybrid.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the insight! Really appreciate the details on provenance!!

Dense colas that are associated with traditional SE sativa landrace? Sounds like a contradiction.

I have some mullumbimby madness x wifi and went to check flowerung times found this in icmag

19 Likes