Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Hey @PineTarBastard , im a stacker so it’s in a solo with the bottom cut out and stacked on a one gallon for now to limit stretch hopefully. Once flower starts to set, I’ll up pot to a gallon with the bottom cut out and stacked onto a 3 gallon.
:grin::v::canada:

16 Likes

Man I don’t get by your threads enough but I love the work you do. Thanks for being here. I’m constantly going through yours and buddertons threads…you guys are really inspirational. Can’t wait to begin my back half of the year going through the sativas I’ve been lucky enough to receive. :purple_heart:

@Budderton you’re a monster and I love you, but a part of me feels you may already know that. Take care

8 Likes

Kandahar 1972

22 Likes

It’s not in the cards for this male Aruka Valley x Malawi Gold.

And this Mullumbimby Madness x Nevils Haze grows like a weed.

31 Likes

I absolutely treasure the look of a good sativa. It’s the 1st image I saw of cannabis as a little guy in the 70s

10 Likes

I was given a pack of those. Maybe I need to break into that. Still have those png and other sea you sent to try too.

5 Likes

Heres some Golden Tiger lab results I just saw.

6 Likes

Do know which version of GT you have? The original release I believe was Malawi dominant with the second (current version) is a blend of 2 different Thai and 2 different Malawi, third version being Thai dominant.

4 Likes

I’ll have to check the pack. I’m thinking probably the 2nd version.

2 Likes

Unless containers/counts don’t matter, Im here to throw out some words of caution on the ACE Golden Tiger.

Full disclosure, I have grown ACE Panama Red and was sorely disappointed by the short, squat afghani type flower. Does this cloud my judgement and make me biased against ACE? Definitely colors my perspective, what’s that saying…“fool me once…shame on you…fool me twice…”

The Malawi used in the cross has been touched* and likely the GT line itself has been stabilized, AKA they added some other commercial line to the mix. This goes beyond the provenance and projection on that basis. I recently had the pleasure of sampling some of the latest GT line and it is some of the most polyhybrid afghan looking flower I’ve ever seen for a “pure sativa”. Granted, it does have some cerebral,heady effect but it is accompanied by a lethargy/laziness that I find does not accompany pure landrace sativas. The dank/muskiness is also a red flag for me regarding it being a real pure sativa equatorial landrace and the flavor of this particular sample was on par with the typical block work found on the commercial market.

Maybe somebody will make a more pure/authentic version crossing Afropips Malawi or Mulanje x one of the highly regarded Thai lines?

*with indica

8 Likes

Go for the Golden Tiger v3 Thai Leaning version. My three plants flowered for 16, 18, and 20 weeks respectively. All of them were full of clarity and an epic soaring high that bends time and seems to keep you on the edge, concentrated fully on whatever it is that you are doing, including fighting the mini panic at the onset of the lift-off of the high, and that lasts for well over three hours, sometimes even more than four if you took more than five tokes on a decent jay- with the added bonus of having absolutely no come-down- you just suddenly find yourself four hours into the future, feeling vibrant without anyone being able to tell that you have just come off one of the most mentally (and cardiac) challenging weed trip in recent times. There isn´t, at least on mine, any sign at all of any indica genes.

27 Likes

I’m familiar with what ACE are all about, not sure they even try to maintain the pretense of any of their offerings being 100% Satie anymore. It would be nice to grow a plant less than 6 months. LOL

3 Likes

Yes, you need to break into that pack! Yesterday, trust me.

4 Likes

Golden Tiger V3 was the one I grew. Awesome! :fire:

6 Likes

It has some fast phenos too.

3 Likes

The (Mullumbimby Madness x Nevils Haze) x Malawi Gold females are turning out relatively similar so far. Here’s a couple 1 gallon tests that have spent a few weeks under 11/13. Doing my best to keep them small.

:v::canada:

26 Likes

I grew out the first version with the Malawi dominant, It definitely had some indica in it, any sativa crosses I made produced fatter leaves than any pure sativa I’ve seen, but if you’re ok with some hybridization it’s still a good plant and does make good crosses as well, just not pure.
ACE still makes claims about things being 100% Sativa when they are clearly not, which does shit me because they don’t tell you what is in it.

9 Likes

Excellent observations. Bravo.

3 Likes

While at first glance it is obviously Sativa dominant bear in mind morphology doesn’t tell the whole tale.

This believe it or not is 100% Indica

M33 Friesland. Looks like a Xmas tree smokes like the happier end of the Indica spectrum. 2.5-3M tall and surprisingly loose buds for Indica.

With some of the ACE offerings they did good work in selection to mute the Indica expression. The Thais and other SEAs I have grown generally start at 16 week finishes and will sometimes go as long as you’ll let them. As long as one’s patience holds out anyway. LOL

12 Likes

I understand your point and I agree.

Having said that, to me that plant looks like an indeterminate hybrid. When I think of NLD ¨sativa plants¨ I think of Neville’s Haze. When I think of NLD landraces or heirloom varieties, I think of Highland Thai or Original Haze, respectively. At least the Gold Tiger version 3 Thai leaning version that I had appeared to be alienish to the eyes of people accustomed to modern hybrids and similar to wild jungle plants. So, without barring the possibility of any inherited hybridization that might have happened decades ago in these very places of origin or that indeed some of these collectives have introduced non NLD genes onto these heirlooms, it is still possible to find long flowering representations that resemble the varieties of old.

It can also be said that, until we here do the experiment ourselves, that is, and as I have stated to other members like Upstate before, until we can fully discard the possibility that through extensive selection and sufficient populations a breeder can or can´t find faster flowering phenotypes within the strictly NLD gene-pool, adapted to a certain environment, or until we can map genomes of plants for fairly accurate and cheap costs, we might never really know if the suspicions that the plants have non NLD genes is the result of a lack of information, a real fact occuring decades before these collectives receiving them, or if indeed they introduced non NLD genes into these lines.

Until then and, to be honest, I would just rather enjoy it all with a grain of salt and select towards what i am interested, which will always be the more complex and longer flowering phenotypes.

9 Likes