Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Have you smoked much Kerala? Any idea how many different varieties come out of Kerala? I don’t know whether to call them landraces or heirlooms, but there seems to be much more than just one of them, and westerners generalize and call them all Kerala. It would be like calling all the Columbian varieties Colombian rather than Punta Roja, mangobiche, corinto, llanera etc… people just don’t realize that there are more than one from this large Indian state.

9 Likes

Mine are supposed to be from 2015 accession we Angus says…

3 Likes

Yep! This outdoor season will be exciting, for sure. More details coming soon…

3 Likes

I have the kerala also along with kumaonia and many others , I have alot of South American landraces also, at one point I bought every landrace I could find.
The Landrace team has some new offerings I’m considering g but money is tight and they have three I want so hard time to decide.
@ShivamGrover the Bhutan was collected there by somebody quite some time ago and is the purple varitietal , I was told there was green and purple both the same plant but that the seeds were harvested from a purple one. I’m just now starting to grow out landraces , right now Im growing a strain from Papa new Guinea, then after that I’m going to play with the eastern Manipur Burma and the lolab valley Kashmir.
I’ll always make and reproduce more in pure form but I have alot of interest in crossing the short flowering Kashmir with these long flowering equatorial plants. I’m also wanting to find a realy good kandahar or paki plant to cross on some elites I have that could benefit from some density and a reduction in height/stretch

8 Likes

That Murree looks interesting. @ShivamGrover says Ukhrul can be very potent…

4 Likes

Looks like we have similar menus lined up…Goroka and Lolab. And I’m tempted with the east manipuri as well… maybe we’ll get an opportunity to swap some pollen. I hear the males in the lolab population kick-off way earlier than the females. And the females eject their seeds once they are finished. Could be a pain in the ass to make and harvest seeds with these. Are you trying them? I’ll probably be planting them early May. And then again mid-may. They will see some Frosty mornings at first, Just Like Home. It would be nice if the two of us staggered our plantings another two weeks apart. You’re earlier than me right? Further south? I could probably tweak that schedule a bit.

7 Likes

I’m not exactly sure how soon I’m going to grow the lolab valley but they are next in line after these mk ultra get done,the PNG is going to be hanging out for awile im guessing :joy: after the lolab I’ll be popping the paki chitral and eastern Manipur Burma and that will prob cover my spring and summer projects , besides the auto flowers I have going atm which some of are aslo long flowering varities like Panama lime and mauy Thai,those are getting combined with my red leb royal purple kush auto that I’m calling royal Lebanese auto. Hoping to make some real monster sativa dominate auto that kick Into flower fast but have the 3month plus finishing period of a sativa. I want people to be able to have there sativa start flowering in spring threw summer and finish with the rest of the norm photo period plants.

9 Likes

someone made a Thread on icmag where he tries to make a very stable cambodian x auto,
stabilize the autoflowering trait.
its very detailled. Threadname:

Breeding a Cambodian auto

3 Likes

It’s been done but when ever people let the seeds go there ridiculous prices , I paid like $20 a bean for the Thai and Panama lime super autos and there only available as fems. So I got enough to do a few generations of back crosses to see what I come up with and offer regular auto beans to those who want them in a working man’s price range.

5 Likes

i ment that thread discusses offspring, percentages of real autoflowering individuals. Detailled…

3 Likes

TropicalAuto
What im pretty shure about, is that Selection is VERY important in that Project.

Ive seen the commonly shared Vietblack Gen1.
Shit that looked more like hemp than anything else. And so were reports…

that “Vietblack” is outcrossed. Chinese type x 70sVietnamese.

So, in Gen 1 that Chinese adulterated the viet so strong… It wasmostly Hay, i heard that alot…

So, then i grew Snohighs version vietblack…Its Gen4 … Well, sorry snowhigh but its a little bader than a really, realllly good Selection from another Person.

his Version is really different, better, so: only his Selection could propperly impress me.

I think you may need to go till F4 or something to get the shitty weakness out of an Autocross, otherwise, you loose alot of trippyness. Lock that weakness out, and viceversa

It makes great difference, and going down the Generations would help alot i think

7 Likes

You see, that Vietblack x Chineese ranged from basically Hay, to a considerably trippy Breed, if its selected… thats immense, i had extreme Mind Movies from the good selection…

5 Likes

so i have smoked Kerala, but from my understanding cannabis is a big big no in Kerala. During 90’s they had shoot on sight orders for growers and smugglers and even now it’s very strict thus eradication is on a full swing out there plus due to this most of the good farmers have now shifted to either Andhra Pradesh (Aaraku, Paderu etc) or Orrisa. So, whatever comes out of Kerala is usually 2nd grade grass flowers.
Plus, all my friends from Kerala keep saying that the 1st grade flowers get exported or something ( I dont know if thats true or not) particularly from Idduki.

10 Likes

@RoryBorealis is going to have a blast this season. Shillong and Araku are my personal favourite. @District_Flora would you be growing Karnataka seeds this season? if you were told that it has racey effects then it ought to be Mysore Mango (Taste like Mango and comes from Mysore). it’s a pretty good strain, not that strong though in my opinion if you compare it with its close cousins like Araku or Orrisa.

8 Likes

@Heritagefarms you are very lucky to have Bhutan seeds. pot from Bhutan gets consumed in north east itself as it has such a huge market out there. I think you will love Bhutan, i have no experience with purple weed from bhutan but green is absolute fire, Ukhrul and the whole of north east is known for its effects, see just to make one thing clear when i talk about effects i usually compare them with their indian counterparts since i have only some experiences with modern hybrids like critical haze and gorilla glue.
though even then i think Ukhrul if grown right can give most modern hybrid a run for their money.
@Upstate would you be growing ukhrul this season?
@Upstate @Heritagefarms I cant wait for the lolab. dont know about the flowers but guessing from the pace they ought to be beautiful. Lolab is as close to heaven as you can be (natural beauty wise)

10 Likes

The purple is the same as the green line just some plants display purple pheno types and the seeds were collected from those, it’s recessive so I’m sure I will get mostly green phenos still but a higher chance of a few purple, you speak of it so highly makes me want to grow them sooner then later, and I would agree lolab valley especially right along the river looks alot like the high country near me , I’m all about the high elevation mtns and forest can’t stand the city and all it’s mess.

6 Likes

So the real question who has or is willing to grow and swap Landrace beans, I have PNG going at the moment followed by the lolab valley and then paki chitral kush.
I want kandahar , 1975 paki , aunt of farouk, turkish or the Korean line.
Probably going to order the kandahar and turkish soon though. Let’s team up and get some bang for are buck.

9 Likes

i am up for swapping landraces, i have a couple of contact in lesser-known hotspots in india like nirmal and Adilabad.
I am anyhow planning on sending some Nirmal seeds to @Upstate but its taking some time as i got stuck in some financial commitments, i am pretty certain you will like nirmal and Adilabad.

11 Likes

Hey, Shivam. Could you please elaborate about the effects you have experienced with Shillong and Araku? Would you say those two have similar or vastly different effects? How many hours would you say they last? I am asking because there is very little information about either cultivar online. Thanks!!

2 Likes

The very Second this idea comes to fruition, count me in…I’m talking, “in like Flynn!!” EXCELLENT concept, Bro. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes