Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Those fan leaves should provide some shade on down the road nice .

5 Likes

Big leaves arenā€™t they. At some point Iā€™m going to have to kill the plant, although it will break my heart. There is no chance of me digging it up, and itā€™s already almost 5 feet tall. It grew 3 ft in the last 2 weeks! It would most certainly be a tree if I left it, and there is no chance that it will finish in the ground here in NY. What a difference from the two-footers I grew Last Summer. Hard to know the limits of a plant when grown in a 2-gallon pot for most of its life. Surely this one would have better smoke than what I harvested last year, which was great, (dont get me wrong) but Outdoors at 42 degrees latitude does not do a tropical plant complete Justice. It just canā€™t be grown to its full potential because the sun isnā€™t strong enough.

12 Likes

Good point! Never thought about the sun not being strong enough

1 Like

Upstate cut some clones and bring them insideā€¦finish under lights

4 Likes

yo gusto mucho :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

This is a long shot, but perhaps you could mount small hand held mirrors on the ground to intensify and focus that sunlight, acting like miniature photon amplifiers.

1 Like

If you work your flowering schedule to occur two months before until two months after the solstice, the sun would be strong enough. But it really loses strength by September

I might have to. No branches yet to take. I want to see the next couple sets of leaves before I top it. I think they could get bigger.

I think they actually have some greenhouse plastic that does this. I think it is made up of numerous bubbles, kind of like bubble wrap. Donā€™t quote me on that, but I seem to remember talking about it with somebody. After legalization it isnā€™t a bad idea at all. Even reflective foam or mylar could help alot. Would be a red flag at the moment.

4 Likes

I have an afghani dominant plant that was started in mid March just starting to flower. Is that normal

2 Likes

Out side Iā€™m assuming depending on hours of sun itā€™s possible.

1 Like

Yes outside

1 Like

My at 39 degrees latitude, but havenā€™t seen early flowering like this in years. It will still be a 6.5 month old plant after it finishes which is still a long time in my book

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had some monster Malawi, itā€™s some of the most resinous flower Iā€™ve ever seen, and huge fan leaves just like thatā€¦

I sometimes dig my plants out when they are as big or bigger than that, often I chop the top off and root prune them pretty hard if I am putting them back in the tent. itā€™s amazing the abuse they will take and bounce backā€¦

5 Likes

Afghani plants can Autoflower. Usually itā€™s from feral plant genetics. They can also ā€œautoflowerā€ due to root constriction in small containers. Not necessarily a bad quality.

5 Likes

This one is interwoven with garlic. I donā€™t think thereā€™s a chance I can dig it up. I just tied it down last night because it was sticking up above my fence by 2 feet. I might just get a cutting. When plants come up on their own I take it as a sign that I am supposed to grow them. I feel that itā€™s a gift from the spirit of weed, helping to guide me towards the right genetics.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a bushy plant. I topped it several times, I posted a pic of it on my outdoor thread yesterday. I just have so many questions about this plant.

1 Like

Iā€™ve wanted to get a few of these landraces from RSC for a while now. Figured I better get them before the Kalamata Red was gone, and I later kicked myself for not grabbing them!

I have so many things already but hey what is the harm of a few more :grinning:

21 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice little collection you got there @Comacus. I have a Mazar I Sharif from the rsc growing. Itā€™s got medium thin leaves and a Christmas tree stature. Itā€™s real hardy and does good out in a field somewhere. Medium size plant. I canā€™t wait to see how it flowers. I do admit that these landraces are addictive. Love the highs that they create. I got some brick once that tasted like black licorice and the high was real nice smooth up. Iā€™m sure it was a landraces from somewhere. I have been looking for that high since. You wouldnā€™t happen to know a landraces that taste just like black licorice would you?

6 Likes

Iā€™ll look back through my notes. From memory, several of the Africans note the licorice smells. I remember I grabbed a couple for that note but donā€™t remember which ones now!

7 Likes

@comacus
Just ordered the Laos gold myself. I was holding off and tryingt to be frugalā€¦really I was. Sudanese is next in the list as well as their jamaican lambsbread\highland cross

7 Likes

Sudan. Flea beatles like themā€¦ but they are starting to flower with 16 hours of daylight. Males are spilling pollen already.
Old Silversides Oaxacan. In one of the photos youā€™ll notice there are no white hairs on the buds, which is a first for me. ( just the caterpillar branch tip) Turns out the culprit is an inchworm. He only ate the hairsā€¦

Goroka highland, aka png gold
secret Thaiā€¦

Pallani Black South Indian male. Hit it once with just a teaspoon of cal-mag and you can see the damage on the fan leaves. A reminder to go light on any kind of liquid fertilizers with landraces.
Mystery plant. Durban or Malawi. No way in hell it will finish because itā€™s in the ground, but I donā€™t have the heart to kill it. No point in cloning it because even a clone wouldnā€™t finish Outdoors at this point
![20210717_123924|666x500]
(upload://70lRJsVuBfkqlVIBDCNLqSge4KV.jpeg)
![20210717_123940|666x500]
(upload://cCFY7BRSPDUKLAGkB0wClm6AWJ4.j
peg) POK, ( Pakistan occupied Kashmir)formerly known as Azad. Beautiful leaves.
Blueberries! Ready in 1-2 weeksšŸ˜. Canā€™t wait for some blueberry cobbler! Looks like a bumper crop.

34 Likes