Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Those are the Goroka Highlands.

4 Likes

Sweet! Maybe it will trigger earlier? Could be an ā€œautoā€

3 Likes

Maybe, itā€™ll be interesting for you. ā€˜My contacts in Colombia and posts on the Latino mj forums all say that all the old landraces there are extinct and bred locally there with indica. They also say that us old hippies from the 1970s are the only ones that have any of that left. No one there or here could confirm where Mango Biche was grown back in the day, or where it originated. My guess was that it was grown farther south with Punto Rojo in and south of Huila. Though Cauca is adjacent to Huila.ā€™ By Big Sur, Jan 28, 2020 @ Who has the real RoadKill Skunk ? | Page 13 | MrNice

6 Likes

I have some of Cannabiogenā€™s Mango Biche. At 16-24 weeks I think it is still a fairly pure landrace sativa.

The times are too long for my indoor on these so when I get to them, I may cross it with the Santa Maria aka Planck to bring down the flowering time a bit.

28 Likes

Maruf Kandahar Black leaves, next to red and black to see the color. f2ing these (is it actually p2?) with this mom. Male didnā€™t turn black so there should be some variety.

20 Likes

I believe it is pure. From what I understand, Mangobichesā€™ popularity has kept it around in Colombia in some circles, even til today.
@ExSitu, keep looking. It is not gone, just in hiding.

5 Likes

P2 is open pollination of all P1 plants.
F2 =selections being done with p1 popuation and only growing those the next generation.
Disclaimerā€¦i think.

7 Likes

What do you think about the Maruf Kandahar Black? I have these on my wishlist but havenā€™t really pursued them yet.

7 Likes

A couple of Thai sativa, these are about 7 foot and just a few pistils showing.

28 Likes

Canā€™t give you the best answer on that yet. We basically beat them and neglected them outside and they went from 115 degrees F down to 25 degree F. Only one black female and one green male was left standing on these to f2. As for the trait we were looking for, we got it. It has the color we wanted and the stinky/acrid type smells are a bonus.

5 Likes

Malawi is on my wish list. Someday, people who live where I do will come to their senses and Iā€™ll be able to grow. The climate here would be really good for a tropical sativa. Any variety, actually. May-October are guaranteed frost-free.

4 Likes

How was the effect of that Malawi? Iā€™ve heard itā€™s energetic.

1 Like

Malawi are one of my favourite sativa, super resinous and an oily sweet smell that is unique ā€¦. The structure of the ones I have grown has been a bit all over the shop with reasonably thin branches growing everywhereā€¦ for me that also meant issues when it was loaded and it rained; I.e some of the buds end up on the ground etc. itā€™s surprisingly dense and unusually rot resistant for something with a bit of chunk to it. Smoke wise itā€™s racy af, super energetic and no grogginess on the come down. Finish times can be long,like really long, but itā€™s not really a problem here in the tropicsā€¦

7 Likes

Thanks. One seed bank put a warning on the Malawi, stating it was the most powerful landrace theyā€™d ever experienced and that it was for only the most experienced smokers, or words to that effect. Think about it, it actually has a warning label regarding its potency. I HAVE to try it now.

7 Likes

ACE seeds has worked Malawi for some time, they offer a nice breeders pack that offers a variety of phenotypes and effects. Malawi always powers through in crosses with other cultivars. The Zamaledica crosses open 5th dimensional vectors into crossworlds of perception. I have grown Malawi several times outdoors, regular and in crosses. There are short finishing variants that wrap up at 11-12 weeks, yet still have good potency. Smoking it with a blend of specific cultivars for mixed effects is entertaining and medicinal.

9 Likes

I have some of the rsc Malawi, will be popping some soon for the summer. Iā€™m rather hopeful, seems right up my alley. Iā€™ve heard of Zamaledica but havenā€™t found any.

5 Likes

Iā€™d love to get some landrace thatā€™s been worked. Eventually Iā€™d like to work a genetic line of my own, but not for a while yet. Next summer Iā€™ll be taking clones and putting one in potting soil and the other in the ground just to see what difference it makes.

5 Likes

Zamaledica is worth the search, effort and patience. Itā€™s very, very powerful. I think ACE hasnā€™t really caught on in the West, because theyā€™re based in Spain.

7 Likes

ACEā€™s Golden Tiger is also phenomenal and well worth having in the seed stash, itā€™s the most vigour Iā€™ve ever seen in a plant and makes awesome 50/50 indica hybrids also with insane hybrid vigour.

9 Likes

Did you see the thread here about ace seeds, people are starting to catch on and trying to get there hands on there gear, Iā€™ve been running it for awile and have there paki chitral kush going atm, nothing but good experiences so far :grin:

6 Likes