Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

Or the difference between a black powder firearm and a modern smokeless powder firearm.

1 Like

Well, with more than just the nostalgia of black powder. lol As long as one can reach the :dart:

2 Likes

Absolutely. I have an old 1873 Trapdoor Springfield that fires black powder rounds and an AR15. Both of them sling lead very well, and I’ve even shot deer with both of them. In fact, they’re both US military service rifles. Actually, the AR15 isn’t a service rifle per se. It’s actually a civilian legal clone of our service rifles, with a slightly longer barrel (16 inches, as opposed to the M4, which has a 14.5-inch barrel) and only semi-auto, as opposed to the M4, which has a 3-round burst setting.

4 Likes

I had septoria leaf spot last summer, I found out spraying with kombucha is a good organic solution to it. Mine progressed so quickly though that I just lost a portion to it

4 Likes

We digress…let’s not go far afield. Mea culpa!

A generalisation I know but Imho most landrace is often lacking in potency and structure, fortunately both of these are reasonably easy to select for.
I guess ‘landrace’ is only a thing if they are grown in their natural environment, even just collecting the best buds from a crop is inadvertently selecting the best. I guess it’s a bit dependent on wherever they are open pollinated in field or selectively bred. My experience has been that to improve the plant reasonably quickly you need lots of plants to select from, it’s basically a numbers game.
I would also suspect that the vast majority of landrace seeds available have had some level of selection, as it’s only logical that the ‘breeder’ has chosen the best phenotypes for making seeds. Personally as long as it’s improvement by selecting rather than taking a short cut and introducing new genetics I have no problem with it.

5 Likes

Thanks, I might give that a go. I was nervous to use copper, but it is apparently classified as organic and I only applied it to the lower leaves, normally I don’t have to worry about anything but this year is a bad one for pests.

Lol, yeah it makes for a fantastic base, very acidic and lots of manganese and aluminium and up to 10% iron oxide, so you have to be careful with the ph as the acidity can cause the manganese and aluminium to become toxic, as well as locking up other nutrients, but a bit of lime and compost and it’s good to go.

2 Likes

Not big problems if you get 320mm :umbrella: in three hours regularly? :laughing:

I imagine it would be intolerable otherwise but that’s like perfect delivery for minerals.

1 Like

Yeah that’s always a struggle, and it’s impossible not to lose some plants as a result, the soil profile is very deep, about 30 feet and it’s very well drained so no amount of rain causes it to sit on the ground so that helps, because at least they don’t drown.
More than the rain it’s the fact that we sit in cloud for 3 or 4 months of the year… so basically 100% humidity for months at a time, that and the fact that it’s always short day length here are the reason I can only really grow sativa to any decent size.

6 Likes

It sounds like a perfection for the plant, how is it for living? Lol I might as well be neanderthal as far as physical preference, give me sylvan for living.

3 Likes

This isn’t active is it? :volcano: lol

1 Like

Lol well I’d be lying if I didn’t say that weeks of continuous drizzle and cloud doesn’t fuck with your head after a while, but the flip side is that the landscape is almost fluro green and we have some of the oldest rainforest in the world, and I never have to water my plants at least :slight_smile: I guess it’s probably not that different to place where it snows for months, you can’t do anything about it so you just learn to live with it, just gotta keep the fireplace cranking to keep the damp out. The Great Barrier Reef is only about 30mins off shore here and the natural environment is breathtaking so that makes up for it. The rain is very localised and I can drive 20 minutes and it’s clear blue sky so you just need to escape it and go camping in the bush once in a while Life is just a bit slower and more relaxed in the tropics. I don’t mind it at all.

Well it’s the most recent volcanic activity in oz, last eruption was 10 thousand years ago, but it’s still considered dormant not extinct, the deep soil profile is from the constant heavy rain weathering the basalt over thousands of years.

8 Likes

Sounds lovely to me. You can go from one to the other in less than a day. From the sauna to the pool past the arboretum. Nice :blush:

2 Likes

Whacking fauna off you all the way… lol
I’m being silly, I enjoy insects

I have long wanted to visit oz and nz. Someday perhaps.

2 Likes

Yeah,

Looks like this on a good day

And is full of stuff like this

And all sorts of weird animals like this tree kangaroo :slight_smile:

No doubt it’s a beautiful part of the world.

24 Likes

That second pic is like the creepy forest your mom told you to stay out of !
Where the trees are alive .

6 Likes

A perfect example of the skewing of reportage there. Most Americans would look at those pictures and think anywhere but oz. they’ve never seen that. It’s all blistering rock populated by angry arachnids in popular culture. lol

I think maybe that’s intentional, I’d keep it to myself too.

Edit: reportage here

1 Like

Ok now he or she looks like they have something to say. lol

If you came upon that at dusk woowee! Lmao

1 Like

Funny you should say that, those trees are dinosaurs trees from way back when it was Gondwana, there are only a few hundred left and they all live only on two ridge lines, some of them are well over a thousand years old, it’s got this weird spooky vibe like the trees have souls are watching you.

7 Likes

Hard to argue against that when they’re 1000 years old. More permanent than any of us.

5 Likes