Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

I think I could handle a bit of rain too. Beautiful country.

4 Likes

Donā€™t know if I could handle all the dangerous snakes and spiders but would enjoy the heat right about now.

4 Likes

Lolā€¦ I reckon Itā€™s whatever you get used to, I remember going to the frozen wastelands of Saskatchewan a few years back and man that was intimidating, every trip outside is taking your life in your own hands! Whereas dry desert or wilderness doesnā€™t seem so bad, at least I can survive that a while , even with all the snakes and spiders, leeches ticks, stinging trees and crocodilesšŸ˜¬

5 Likes

the frozen wastelands of Saskatchewan

Great place to watch your dog run away you can see him for 10 miles before he disappears.

6 Likes

Seems to me in the desert the things that might be deadly we would come in contact with because we were looking for something, water etc. and so weā€™re probably dehydrated not thinking well.

Ok a crocodile though thatā€™s something else. Shudder

1 Like

I mean, we tend to lose awareness progressively the more in need we become. Our sphere contracts the more desperate we get. So we get bitten by something totally imperceptible to us thatā€™s as obvious as a bonfire.

2 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s the heat that is the biggest hazard, people often come here as tourists from Europe often without grasping how vast and mostly dry and inhospitable it is, so something like a car breakdown or a flat tyre in 45 degree heat can turn deadly in no time. A lot of our climate is similar to what they get in Phoenix, but Oz is almost as large as the US so there are pockets of all kinds of environments from Alpine to rainforest and reef and desert moonscape. Makes for awesome driving holidays though.

7 Likes

I have been places where there are snakes that rule though. Watched the people walk among them gracefully while I could hardly stand still for looking for a tree. Come at you intending to kill you. Oof.

3 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s analogous to the cold here like you said earlier. People from the south, where Iā€™m originally from, need friends to explain how to pack their vehicles to survive a day at or below freezing. No concept of it having never experienced it.

3 Likes

ā€œPersonally as long as itā€™s improvement by selecting rather than taking a short cut and introducing new genetics I have no problem with it.ā€ You nailed it. Over-homogenizing the cannabis gene pool is going to have consequences. Of particular concern is the popularity of autoflowers. Iā€™m fearful that autoflower genetics are going to find their way into nearly everything. As Iā€™ve said before, Iā€™ve had autos pop up from bag seed that came from brick weed.
Itā€™s good that so many are interested in preserving landraces. Truth be told, most cannabis consumers donā€™t think that much about it. On the other hand, once the USA makes cannabis legal federally weā€™ll see a lot of cross-breeding initially but I predict a number of very stable genetic lines will emerge. Cannabis will likely take the same path other domesticated plants species have taken. For example, there are many different types of tomatoes, and when you buy a certain strain of them, you get the same thing every time.

3 Likes

I usually really look forward to smoking around 25% of my landrace plants if theyā€™ve come from the source country. Another 50% will be good enough to smoke when the great stuff runs low. 25% will be crap.

Many regions selectively breed their landraces and have for hundreds of years. Landraces, by definition, are guided in their development by man and the environment they are from. Whether only the best plants are used for breeding, or a whole field is open pollinated makes no difference because the population is so large and diverse. There are hundreds or thousands of fields with pollen everywhere. A feral( escaped) population is not a requirement for landrace status.
When heavy selecting is done with very small populations, Heirlooms are the result. They are often held by single families or even single people, and are much less diverse, yet just as desirable. Itā€™s easier to find an ā€œunworkedā€ ( by westerners)version nowadays than it is to find an heirloom IBL.

7 Likes

You live in a beautiful area!
Have you looked at Meghalaya, India landraces? They are extremely rain tolerant and might make a good fit for your locale.

1 Like

In my experience LAndraces are the strongest weed i smoked.
The Landraces big Population provides a very healthy and powerfull base, wich brought up the most psychedelic weed , the deepest indica bodyrelaxation.
(i guess the amount of bottlenecking can vary, but in general Landraces are probably rarely totally bttled down) .

I personally beleive any bottlenecking (wich we all do with our 10 20 plants) is very dangerous betā€¦
Biologist would use 2000 plants minimum.

So, i am a bit concernet when people try to homogenize Landraces, cause the inbreeding depression, and cause if the people do wrong selection, its locked in.
And can only be found out sometimes after x-generations.

I personally have no faith in homogenisation, cause i dont see anyone come forward: oh my thai has improoved, it changed from trippy to fullon Trip.

The opposite seems to happen, ive heard anektotes about that, but never say never.

In other words: i would do a soft selection, otherwise bring me example of an improoved Thai. Its a big experiment with unknown results. well actually biologists who should know what theyre dooing do something compleetly else. I would meet in the middle, do a soft selection with alot plants keeptā€¦
PEACE

5 Likes

Does per example ACE show such results of improoved trippyness? Nopeā€¦ Theyre low Gen. oldtimers haze (i think they are now at F6) sounded rather trippyer.

Same for Vietblackā€¦ I heard from the source that first Gen. Vietblack was showing some of the most intense Phenos.

Another Guy, a very respected breeder: inbreed a hawaiian till Gen.8, i asked him is the F8 strongest pheno better or worse than strongest pheno Gen1.
He anwsered Gen8 strongest pheno is nearly as strong as Gen1 . LOL

4 Likes

Monsoons are a two-edged sword. The predictability is good, but that much humidity for that long can create issues. When I was stationed in Korea, I arrived there right in the middle of the monsoon season. It poured rain like piss out of a boot nearly every day for weeks. Getting anything dry during that time was out of the question. We did a lot of field training exercises, and the rain added to the suck factor.
I wouldnā€™t mind having a few weeks of predictable rainfall, and at the same time of year here in Georgia. While this state gets a lot of rain, I live on the side of a mountain in one of the driest parts of the state. Hell, some of the flora here resembles the mountains in Arizona. The climate here could be described as Mediterranean. I often have to water my basil, tomatoes, etc. twice a day during the summer. While the climate is good for cannabis, it needs a lot of close attention in the summer. There are a lot of creeks here, but the pH is too low along their banks, and I do not want to try to explain why Iā€™m treating soil if someone sees me.
Sorry about the rambling. Iā€™ve had a lot of coffee today.

2 Likes

sorry to be so strict.
i hope it helps people gain another perspective.

So: yes strong bottlenecking is extreemly useful for Quantity. It can give you consistentency. But the strongest Pheno sits in a low-Generation stock from what i heard, and even if its one of a 100 phenos, and 99 shit phenos. Thats where it sits.

1 Like

Yep, I agree, the two get used interchangeably but they are very different, I think Iā€™ve been down this rabbit hole on here before in fact :joy::joy:.

Yeah I guess continual selection from an ever smaller pool can only end badly if taken to extremes, one persons IBL is another personā€™s bottlenecked and weak strainšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I kinda like to have some consistency, say less frequency of shitty phenos, good male/female ratios, minimal intersex traits, I hardly never go anywhere near beyond an F4 or 5 because shit often starts to go downhill and get you further away from what you were trying to improve in the first place.
A little variation is good; every plant a different pheno? Not so good for me lol.

6 Likes

Lol. Me toošŸ˜. I look forward to the days when there are standardized definitions we can all use and all understand what we are talking about.

2 Likes

I agree. Every great weed plant is a sum of its parts, good and bad. If you take away one of the parts,
something will be missing. Itā€™s best to keep all genetics preserved before trying to make something better, which as you point out, is often a total failure. Then at least, there is a further opportunity for more failure later LOL! Itā€™s best to have the biggest genepool possible to fall back on.
Itā€™s better to cull the crappiest 10% than to only keep the best 10% for longterm strain health imo. This is often the way it is done overseas in traditional areas.

Inbreeding depression is what happens, along with the loss of hybrid vigor( vb, hawaiian, both hybrids)once a strain is into later F generations. Often  an outcross is needed to bring out that magic again, often leading to lost strains.
7 Likes

yep. there is evidence pointing thowards: slight selection happend around the world in the origin Countries.
Not bottlenecking as far as im concerned. Or did the families really just have own lines never crosspolinating with neighbours?

probably boring for some, but i liked writing in this Thread alot, and made some Models and Plans about Landraces

4 Likes