Landraces and heirloom (Part 2)

I need to find some way to kill the spores where i’ve had plants but without destroying the soil if possible. Seems like dousing it with lots of sulphur wouldn’t be real good for it but i might have to do it anyway. The plants that got it first this year were in the exact same spot i had Moroccan get it 3 years ago and they got it from that first offender plant that wouldn’t die.
Pondering this a little bit further.I suppose that since now i’m into breeding professionally having pm around will force proper selecting…but what a pain in the ass having pm. I wonder if I didn’t get it for so many years because I was growing in the ground. I just started container growing in 2019.

4 Likes

If you use enough sulfur it will shift the ph of your soil and change the microbial population to sulfate producers. If you check agriculture charts for ph v sulfur needed to shift it one point, then make sure you don’t do that. Unless… you need to lower it by one point. Cuz my soil is ph 6.8, so it takes quite a bit of sulfur, and takes a few months to acidify.
Do you grow indoors and how is the mildew colony there?

2 Likes

@JoeCrowe the mildew colony is back indoors as well because the plants are in and out every night. I use my room during summer as a dark room, Or if we get a washout, the plants will be in there under the lights instead of outdoors. The sulfur wiped out the p m for a while outdoors, while I could keep applying it, But we had rain two out of every three or even 3 of every 4 days all of july and august, til about a week ago, And the sulphur gets washed off. I’ve had plants in varying stages of development all summer so i’ve had plants that I couldn’t apply the sulphur to when they had pm, so then it spread to other plants. I’ll have to seriously clean my room at the end of the outdoor season…

2 Likes

Yah in my world, I consider both areas as contaminated now. The mildew outdoors is especially tricky because it’s hard to make sure the sulfur water sprinkles on all it’s little bits. The best outcomes are indoors and in greenhouses. The area you have to attack is well defined! Indoors, it’s easiest to kill. The infectious area is only the plant material, and you can see it all in a glance.

2 Likes

It comes in many varieties. The “catadores, “or crop tasters, report that although Santa Marta Gold is still the most famous of the Colombian line, the Arhuaco Indians in the higher altitudes are growing an even more potent variety of pot: Mona (blond) plants so pale that they look bleached. The Cielo Azul heights produce a pale plant known as Blue Sky Blond, developed as a hybrid two years ago with seeds from Thailand.Times Magazine The Colombian connection 1979

9 Likes

@azure Nice! Lots of bud sites

zam x kali x png @Azure

23 Likes

Southern lesotho strain

30 Likes

no disrespect - sounds like some marketing hype, i’ll believe it when i see it in person, cause it looks diseased

1 Like

It looks diseased in what way haha? I’d like to know where on the plant you feel that there is a disease… I’m curious

Its a genetic mutation nothing more just like you have albino humans or animals. The plant seems to thrive ok to me.

In Lebanese you can find the round shape phenotype. I found it in Leb27. Iván Bocsá, formal Hungarian hempbreeder found it in Lebanese too and crossed it with Fibrimon.

23 Likes

Unless I’m mistaken the green we see in foliage is chlorophyll, the fundamental molecule required for photosynthesis. Perhaps the plant reaches a certain age and bleaches for some reason but I don’t imagine it reaching any size at all without the ability to synthesize nutrients. Perhaps it grows exceptionally slowly?

It’s true that the colors we see are reflected and diffracted light, perhaps at altitude the leaf structure protects the chlorophyll bearing tissue from the higher uv through greater diffraction.

5 Likes

The plant looks very healthy! Great work.
Any aroma so far?
Thanks for the updates!!

1 Like

Gotta pop some Peshawar!

2 Likes

Looks quite healthy. How long in flower? How far to go? I have some Lesotho but little info about it.

2 Likes

Corinto …( Corinthian.

Wee update.

Chica 3

Is starting to produce a multitude of bud sites ( @GREANDAL she is 8/9 weeks since flip…yes looking great.

P J

23 Likes

Looking great @Panamajock

@LoveofLandrace Here is one of yours from Transkei coming along nicely. Do you have any more info to share on the plants from this region?

Looks like there will be plenty of harvest to attempt some cob curing.

Also one of yours from KwaZulu-Natal

32 Likes

Oh hell yeah! :eyes:

Keep doing what you’re doing man that’s gorgeous! Giddy just looking at it.

3 Likes

Wooow bro!!! They are looking absolutely amazing!! Definitely going to get some amazing flower off those! Please keep me updated about them!

6 Likes

This is week 8, because they are from high altitudes and winter temps get below freezing, they finish a lot faster than they other African landraces

4 Likes

@LoveofLandrace Will do! I have to say I really struggled with all the African plants I tried growing this season. These two I shared above were clones from the mothers that shriveled up from the scorching desert heat we had earlier this summer. I lost a couple Lesotho and all my Durban’s died off too unfortunately. Still have a few seeds left of each so I aim to do much better next season and find a more suitable microclimate around my property.

Your Lesotho is looking great. Any chance of some close up shots of the flowers to see some of that lovely resin?

4 Likes