Landraces and heirloom (Part 2)

Oh good call. Maybe Chinese Broad Leaf Hemp? Maybe Nepalese. Those get branchy too.

4 Likes

I am aware of the technique. It is not the best way to find this out.

Look at the similarities between hops pollen ( Humulus lupulus L.) and cannabis sativa pollen

Hops

Cannabis

This is just the closest relative. There are many cousins also.

Heres something that has been found in Madagascar

Now imagine these being 3,000 years old and mixed in with a bunch of other shit.

https://globalpollenproject.org/Taxon/Cannabaceae

7 Likes

I donā€™t argue itā€™s difficult, but thatā€™s why there are experts that know what to look for to differentiate. I donā€™t know that thereā€™s been any hops cultivation in Africa has there? Isnā€™t that a cold weather crop?
I always figure Madagascar must have some old cannabis pollen somewhere

2 Likes

I rather think Thai or Vietnamese.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a very good point. Sailing started long before the Europeans started doing it

4 Likes

Sure looks like it. :+1:

5 Likes

I always wondered how they could pick out cannabis pollen from all the other plants. It all looks like little dots to me. lol

2 Likes

Before debating the methodology; can you cite this?

2 Likes

@CocoaCoir I happen to be stuck on a couch with a bum knee today. Here you go.

Hereā€™s the book, a bit of the reading and a shot of the page
I would imagine the pollen was so well preserved from being in that cave in the Kalahari Desert which is one of the driest on Earth
See there at the bottom, it mentions Madagascar as well. Pollen samples there are about as old as the austronesians migration to the island. Ā± 2,000 years ago

5 Likes

He doesnā€™t reference anything though. I have read this book also.

You can see even in the reference that they cannot differentiate from Cannabis / Humulus.

1 Like

Burney et al 1994 referenced.

Sorry for the poor pictures hereā€™s a better one of that part. The page continues as to why he believes it was Cannabis.
This is the same guy that was studying cannabis pollen in Madagascar.

1 Like

I donā€™t take any of this stuff as gospel eitherā€¦ I donā€™t think we have anywhere near a clear picture of the true Cannabis historyā€¦ but I would rank it in the likely happened category at least.

3 Likes

Iā€™m looking but canā€™t find that there are any Humulus species native to Africa at all @CocoaCoir. You found any?
Itā€™s native to colder regions in the northern hemisphere only that I can find but you canā€™t rule out the possibility it was grown in South Africa before the Europeans, although from what I can find, it showed up there with them, which would rule it out. I think Iā€™m going to stick with its cannabis pollen that the guy found.

1 Like

It is more than that. Thatā€™s why I posted the Cannabacae link

https://globalpollenproject.org/Taxon/Cannabaceae

You can see the one from Madagascar.

2 Likes

You knowā€¦I was thinking about another thing no one really talks about and that is that Empires disappear, cultures change. Just because Europeans didnā€™t see cannabis cultivation at a particular locale when they first arrived, doesnā€™t necessarily mean cultivation and use didnā€™t occur with a different culture at a prior time in history at that exact same place.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s why it is important to follow evidence instead of our biases and imaginations. We can imagine or think or hypothesize whatever we want.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t see anything else in the link except for those pollen photos, but I do see that other screenshot you took of that Madagascar tree recently reclassified. The question is does pollen from that tree look like cannabis pollen?

3 Likes

Well there is evidence the Portuguese saw cannabis in West Africa when they got there in the 1400s which puts cannabis in west Africa hundreds of years before the map posted by @mexcurandero420 shows.

None of us are scientists or archaeologists, so the best we can do is look at the discoveries they make and either accept it or dont.

3 Likes

I am not disputing that it was there then. It was probably there as early as the 8th or 9th century from Islam in Northern Africa.

I am talking about the thousands of years ago claim and just trying to show that the pollen looks very similar under a microscope under sterile conditions. Pollen dating is not a reliable form and again, even Burney cannot differentiate between Cannabis / Humulus because they look nearly identical. So to say well has humulus been there at the time is the same as saying well has cannabis been there at the time?

It may be possible that Cannabis was there 2-3 thousand years ago or longer but there isnā€™t reliable enough information in my opinion for me to say this; even though I do see those pollen samples.

More research is needed.

2 Likes

No doubt. I wish more of it was being done.

[quote=ā€œCocoaCoir, post:59, topic:151832ā€]
So to say well has humulus been there at the time is the same as saying well has cannabis been there at the time?

[Quote]
Cannabis was one of those crops that was brought just about Everywhere by everybody that used itā€¦ so the odds of it traveling great distances to places it wasnā€™t indigenous seems much more likely to me than a random tree being brought somewhere. Aside from making brush fences it doesnā€™t sound like the tree is used for much. If itā€™s not indigenous, cannabis pollen seems most likely.
Hopefully they can revisit that cave someday.
Another thing to consider . If cannabis pollen is impossible to distinguish from humulus pollen, how can they tell when the two species diverged? I want to say the books say 28 million years ago? Iā€™m going to have to look that up. Iā€™m bored stiff sitting on a couch with nothing better to do

1 Like