Landraces of India

Are they finishing as fast as advertised , I have a pack of these I’ve been wanting to run but have other things to get to first.

2 Likes

How bout some Asian perspective eh😉

Most people often forgot or simply don’t know why the Japanese attacked pearl harbour…
What i read so far tells me they did, not because they are stupid, but because of the dirty entrepreneurship practices of the certain country…
You see, they both tried to capture the Chinese market and suppress the competition…
That certain country went as far as to spend it’s own money to buy Japanese products and destroyed them…

3 Likes

Japanese expansion began in the late 20s with the invasion of Manchuria after the Japanese felt emboldened beating the Russians in Kamchatka in the early 1900s. They continued to nibble away at southeast Asia/ Oceana in order to form what they called the Greater East Asia Co Prosperity sphere, which was nicknamed " the boot " due to its shape on a map. More than anything the Japanese needed Indonesia for Rubber and oil in order to keep their Navy and Air Force going and that’s where we had drawn the line, doing what we could to stop that expansion, including I am guessing buying Japanese goods and dumping them
Pearl Harbor was of course an attempt to sink our aircraft carriers, so important in the Pacific Theater.( our aircraft carriers were mysteriously missing that day at Pearl Harbor, being located on the other side of the island for maneuvers if I recall correctly) and the attack imo was likely allowed on our part in order to draw our country into the war, which was declared on the following day, December 8th with universal Congressional support.

What the article forgets to mention, is that though these countries would be free of Western influence, they would be the slaves of the Japanese. I can’t think of a single country in the whole area that didn’t treat us as liberators when we arrived.

3 Likes

I have to look through the pictures in this thread to know I think. They might have started around a month ago. Towards the end of August, first days of September. I wouldn’t sit on those beans if I were you. They are so small they can’t possibly last too long . Wet dry Cycles work best to germinate in soil. I used a tray filled with garden soil, put the seeds on the surface of the soil and lightly watered them in after spreading a little straw. I let the soil almost dry out to where it would pull away from the edge of the container a little bit and then I would water decent and repeat the process every two days or so. Seeds germinated for three or four weeks in total. I used a spoon to dig out each one as they germinated and put them in a cup with more garden soil. I ended up with six males and four females. It does seem like they are flowering fast. I’m kind of surprised that the buds are filling in a little bit. The Next Generation looks even nicer, being grown by the guy that gave me this second generation. I see a lot of potential in these. I absolutely love the structure, being an 18-24 inch Bush close to the ground with between two and 12 Four-foot rabbit ears coming out of it. I don’t know how long it takes to domesticate a landrace but I am already picturing 3 ft long colas. The lemon smell on these is ridiculously lemon. Like fresh squeezed lemon juice on the one plant. I absolutely love lemon. And seeing the progression I don’t think it takes nearly as long as what I was imagining. Maybe even only 5 to 7 years. I’m going to take these in a couple different directions. I’ve always wanted to rub my own charas in a remote NY location and I think these plants will be the ticket. I’m too old to hike out of the woods with plants anymore, but I can hike out with a big ass bowl of charas😁 and some sticky icky palms!
One final thing and that is that these plants are clearly Indian in structure. Due to the fact that these plants are wild and there are domesticated plants everywhere South I am thinking that’s the direction everything moved in back in history. What I’m saying is I think some of those South Indian tropical plants descended from something like Lolab Valley in some cases. Of course it’s possible the opposite is true and that some tropical seeds were brought North to be domesticated…and then escaped cultivation.

11 Likes

If you ask me, that’s the most crucial part of the information, otherwise the future generations might read "Japan tried to form GEACPS, we nipped it in the bud but allowed European Union because they are our friends (White).

But my rational mind doesn’t believe that either party is innocent though…
Another notable event i have read about the pearl harbour is the escape of Oil carrier (or was it storage)…
Had the Japanese bombed it, the course of the war would have been altered…
Well it is getting old, I’d rather not stir anything that smells foul LoL…
Hope your garden is doing good, Brother…

3 Likes

I would say it takes about 10 years on average to domesticate a land race. With 3 seasons a year ie three seed crops, over the 30+ generations you will be able to create a beautiful domestic line!

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

“and visions of sugar plums danced in my head”!!

Im envisioning the lolab valley lemon Kashmir after domestication…:grin::wink::drooling_face::drooling_face:

I’m wondering if some of the “old” poly hybrids (like the ones with similar genetics…) Would be a good cross with some of these old school landraces to improve potency (without searching through 100s of plants) :wink:

2 Likes

I can only do one crop of these a year to select for tough outdoor plants. Let’s hope it goes quicker😁or I live a long time.

Oh for sure, but the union won’t be its best until lolab is an ibl and half the fun is getting there. These plants need no maintainace so looking thru good numbers will be easy.

2 Likes

The Manipuri did pop into my mind, but that is a special one and can be very long-winded too!
Oldtimer’s Haze aka Original Haze flowers 140+ days, Malawi Gold can go 130+ days and a lowland Thai that I grew in 1988 that flowered for 152 days.

There are other southern India sativas that I’ve grown that closely resembled pampas grass w/green wispy flowers that are sort of see-thru to an extent and 120+ days of flowering was not uncommon.

Lots of smells and lots of flavors may be found in long-winded sativas as well as a heavy yield, especially when grown outdoors.

Highland varieties normally have much shorter flowering times than lowland varieties.

3 Likes

:wink:,…my line of reasoning is this, if you were to cross land race X with poly A; that is of know similar pheno type, and select for land race X in initial crossings, the simikar traits would benefit each other producing a stronger more vigorous plant :+1::roll_eyes:!!

4 Likes

@Upstate
They are all making calyxes now. How.long do you think they have for seeds? Smoke?

2 Likes

@Trowertripper 6 weeks or so from pollination for mature seeds…
Do you have fresh pictures of the plants? I can better judge harvest time with pics

4 Likes

No doubt you are correct. There would be some strong phenotypes to be found. But this lolab has cbd phenos and thc/cbd phenos at this point that need to be bred out for decent potency first. My path to new strains will always be lined with seed. Once I have my ibl mission accomplished I will pass out a ton of these seeds from early generations for people to have some fun with them.

7 Likes

I.will try to get some

1 Like

The manipur takes a very long time , I grew a few females and crossed it to the paki chitral kush , crossing landraces to each other and modern elites is pretty much what I’m all about. The best way to get something unique and find true hybrid vigor is to cross plants that have been separated from each other genetically speaking for great lengths of time. You can get a lot of variation but you can also dependably breed the desired traits of landraces into more modern strains. Good landrace race genetics have very stable breeding traits a good example being the paki chitral kush , they will always produce short thick stemmed plants with a majority showing purple traits. Breed that to just about anything and it will add color, make the plant shorter and provide for more compactness in general.

12 Likes

whoa that is just a beautiful beast of a plant! as a weed enthusiast im drooling, but as a weed grower i feel a bit scared lol

@Upstate i love those purple sativa buds. think shell finish? nice amanitas too :mushroom:

3 Likes

I hope she will. I think so. Maybe 2 or 3 more weeks. !(upload://5lcfvAliWwn9d2tBhhISt16PvDC.jpeg)

Some warm weather would help. I really wish they were in the ground but there would be no hope of collecting seed in that case. Going to be difficult as it is20221003_053900

31 Likes

That’s EXACTLY it. Someone had to control the Pacific, and better us than Imperial Japan. We were actually set to hand complete independence to the Philippines by 1946 when Japan invaded. True, we took the Philippines during the Spanish-American war and 100,000 Filipinos died during the Philippine Insurrection, but at least we weren’t Imperial Japan. I did a rotation to the Philippines, trained with their army and got to see the Cabanatuan City memorial (the movie “The Great Raid” is based on the operation conducted by 6th Ranger Battalion). I could go on about how the two atomic bombs SAVED many times more lives than they took, but you get the idea.

3 Likes

What a lot of people don’t understand about international politics is that it’s not the hero-villain trope; it’s villains and even worse villains. Which people are “heroes” and “villains” depends entirely on perspective. There was some merit to what the Axis countries were saying about us, and vice-versa. We’ve done some grimy stuff in our history, but at least we didn’t massacre civilians for fun.

7 Likes

As they said in Master and Commander…
“The lessor of two weevils…”

Cheers
G

4 Likes