Landraces of India

Yup…I’m not gonna add anything or wash my buds…:blush::v:t4:

2 Likes

You certainly have my respect on landraces from India and know much more regional strains and valleys than I do. But I always had the impression that the broad leaf variety are mostly found in the Afghan region. I remember listening to a podcast by Irrazing and had learnt as such. The humidity in the Indian subcontinent is much higher than the afghan region. Inspite of still being elevated (kashmir, nanda devi, utttakhand, etc) the humidity probably makes these plants narrow leaf. These regions lie just below the Himalayas and have many rivers and tributaries whereas Afghanistan is further away and dry. There is however one place in India that Irrazing mentioned that though the elevation isn’t the same as that of Afghanistan, the plateau of this region (not sure which) has climatic (dry) conditions that support the growth of broad leaf variety. Your thoughts…? :blush::herb:

2 Likes

One of the more knowledgeable Indian tokers said there is a pretty fair bit of Indica hybrids around the country. He said there are Pakistani genetics that were introduced to a lot of commercial grows.

5 Likes

Is there anything really psychoactive like that from india that can be grown in california ?

4 Likes

Afghanistan is definitely the core of the Indica area, but the Indica belt goes all the way West to the Mediterranean, East into Tibet, and North into Mongolia. I suppose it depends on what qualifies as an Indica for you as well. For me, the kush strains are in their own category, Afghanica, but are still Indicas imo. These are dry indicas. Short plants with broad leaves. There are also "wet"Indicas, (my term) .I’d rank Kashmir strains as wet Indica in some instances( neelum valley)while in others they are mixed Indica Sativa.(azad) It’s certainly a complicated issue, and one not everyone is in agreement on. ILE have their own nomenclature based neatly off elevation and latitude, but plants don’t always neatly fall into a category. Even Indicas have broad and narrow leaf phenos. Is this normal or the result of Sativas being introduced? Hard to say. Kandahar has narrowleaf Indicas. Iran breaks the mold all around. There are longflower Indicas and short flower sativas. Narrow leaf midgets and giant broad leaves. It’s genepool is unique too. It’s own category Perhaps.

Some wet areas have Indicas. Displaced Indicas, but displaced long enough ago that They qualify as a landrace in my book at this point. Some Turkish, for example, is both Indica, and in a wet area.
High elevation will produce Indica features. Nepal, Bhutan, Uttarakhand( nanda devi, chamoli)…I’ve even read about tropical Equatorial Indicas at high elevation with high rainfall.

I agree. Humidity changes the look of the leaves and the look of the plant sometimes But does this alone make an Indica? What about the high?
I think in the end, way down the road, the chemical makeup of a plant will determine more than anything else what makes it an Indica or Sativa.
What would you call a Kush strain, for instance, that had been moved to and grown in the wet tropics for 500 years? Is it still an Indica? I think in the end the answer might be yes, regardless of how the plants look.
I feel like I just talked myself Into a circle. It’s tough being a Gemini. You see every side of the equation and fight with yourself about what it all means, lol
ILE typically look at " true" primitive undomesticated landraces and when it comes to those, climate is king. Leaf/plant size/shape is determined by rainfall, humidity, temperature and sun Intensity, which itself is determined by both elevation and latitude. There does seem to be a correlation between moisture and leaf width. Areas with both Indica and Sativa( leaf width)types often have rainfall that is sufficient some years, and insufficient in others. Like Moths that are born different colors each year, sometimes darker sometimes lighter, so that at least some of them do well in a given year.
Add to all of this, that we are missing giant pieces of the genetic puzzle. China is a major piece. There are others missing. This is whats out there…Kazakhstan( one strain from RSC) Tajikistan(0), Iran(6), Iraq(1), Turkey(3)the Caucasus region(0)including Azerbaijan, Georgia, Dagestan, Armenia…many pieces missing. We need more data.

13 Likes

I agree. I’m on the hunt for them actually.

India has fantastic cannabis but you have to hunt for it. Nearly all Indian Landraces can give potent, psychedelic plants, but it’s more common in some than others. Not much help, I know. Arakku Valley has very strong psychoactive cannabis. Kerala( more energetic really)Tamil Nadu, Meghalaya, Bengal. Karnataka, manipur
All are long flowering. You’d want to start flowering by July sometime.

11 Likes

After the wait, the treasure arrives. Shiv’s first order from IG indianseeds97 arrived. thank you very much brother.

19 Likes

Shiv IS Indianseeds97 on IG.
Your picture is blurry and I can’t read the goods…but looks like a nice haul. I see Pamya, Ukhrul, Shillong…

2 Likes

I found Pure Kush at herbies seeds website, it’s a landrace according to the description, a strong indica.

2 Likes

Check out Landrace Warden( IG), Kwik seeds and Indian Landrace Exchange( IG)for seeds straight from Afghanistan and Pakistan. @GreenPenguin
Welcome to OG :grin:

4 Likes

Ukhrul
Shillong
Meghalay
Panya
Nepales Kathmandu
Brahma
Trimback
Cachmere

9 Likes

Pure Kush sounds like an interesting strain, especially as a landrace indica

2 Likes

Matori from @Shiv9545

16 Likes

All 4 of my Odisha valley germinated!!:+1:

8 Likes

Most excellent @Kasper0909 , best of luck with your starts!
:grin::v:

6 Likes

Anyone you known grown this out? I got a bunch of free seeds from Kwik Seeds.

7 Likes

I hope it helps, this is from 2 years ago
Huge monsters long flowering plants
Ukhrul TRSC girl 1

Girl 2 finnished a few weeks after winter solstice

26 Likes

Oh man, I wish!

2 Likes

Nice an OG’er is growing some of these. Have you seen Mulberrytree Matori on IG? Nice Resin.
@funkyhorse nice chubbers you found there. How was the potency?

2 Likes