Landraces of India

Welcome to over grow! @rj92 :slight_smile: sometimes it may take a few days to get a response from people as we all also have busy lives with families also so just try to keep this in mind :slight_smile: and I’m not trying to say that you wasn’t, I’m just trying to help PS from what I understand shiv is pretty good at getting back with folks it might take him a little while but he will come through for you, I haven’t gotten nothing personally yet but I know quite a few that has and they are pleased with it

3 Likes

Thank you so much for replying

3 Likes

Your very welcome my friend, I hope you find what you are looking for!

4 Likes

Indianseeds97 on IG. Welcome to Overgrow.

2 Likes

The Andes would be perfect. In addition to the UV index you mentioned, there is also a monsoon season in most parts of the Andes. Any part where it never gets below freezing could support even the longest flowering varieties.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that cannabis from that time didn’t have the same THC levels as modern hybrids. Back then, cannabis with double-digit THC levels was the exception, not the rule.
The same person never smokes the same strain (unless it came from the same bag/batch, but you know what I mean). Every time, either the strain has changed or YOU have changed.

5 Likes

We don’t have broad leaf variety, if that’s what you mean, all narrow leaf variety throughout india

4 Likes

Thc testing was done differently too, back then.

2 Likes

What do you think about some of the chunkier shorter flowering West Indian varieties Shiv finds? The 12-14 week types. I was thinking that these are old hybrids made up in part from either Pakistan or Xinxiang genetics. From the 30’s- late 40’s.

5 Likes

How was it different?

2 Likes

Hybridization has probably been going on for as long as cannabis has been domesticated. That’s what we’ve done with many domesticated species. Broad leaf doesn’t seem like it would do too well in some of the most humid parts of the world.
The selection that’s been done in Tirah Valley is especially fascinating. It’s like they’ve maintained NLD in the middle of a sea of BLD.

4 Likes

Sure, but nobody has established whether there were other cannabinoids besides THC in higher quantities before breeders replaced those cannabinoids with THC.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Well instead of “in higher quantities” it was probably more like 1:1 or 1:2-3 across the board and that could be from any of the 160+ cannabinoids just depends on what the local people’s selected for :slight_smile: PS like for instance in Tibet you roast and eat the seeds it improves frost resistance the local people’s eat it in winter to keep warm and in Jamaica they smoke the local grass and it has a cooling effect and gives energy so they can make it through the day :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@RJ92 if you would like to get someone to notice a post or ask them directly out @ then name so it will notify them. Just a helpful pointer.welcome

4 Likes

I think they tested whole plants instead of buds, or maybe buds untrimmed? I really don’t remember for sure, I just remember reading discussions about how the tests being done differently today give a different result.

Yes, in Afghanistan and Pakistan they eat seeds to keep warm. They say it imparts heat to the body in winter. Pretty neat. Wish I had enough seed to try it out.

4 Likes

For sure. Just less often. I love trying to solve or to think I have solved the genetic background of different landraces. History and weed. A great combo.

4 Likes

Those shorter chunkier varieties are definitely a hybrid and can be from Pakistan, but my research majorly indicate that a lot of these farmers get seeds from Himalayan state and integrate them with the local population, which is the case almost everywhere, reason to do this is a general concensus that plants from Himalayan states are better with more oil(resin - local slang), which at the end is true.

So, seeds from states like manipur, sikkim, himachal, Uttarakhand, arunachal Pradesh travel down towards central and south India.

5 Likes

The reason they have been able to do this is because of how proud they are of their local variety and how it finishes as the snow sets in, which facilitates hash making.

I have meet farmers in parvati (grahan and lapas) with the same level of commitment and proud in maintaing their local varieties.

7 Likes

Quick question my original Afghani #1 has cured for 6 weeks smoke great except if I don’t finish a bowl it smells like pissy pants really bad. To the point I sniffed all around my bed, my drawers, nothing. It’s the bowl if you cash it it’s fine try and save pissy pants. In the jar has a lemon floor cleaner smell strong. Also tastes like frankinsense when smoked. Idk but it does the trick.

6 Likes