Landraces of India

I bought 8 varieties from him first and he sent them after six months, but he did not send the number of seeds he should have, for Shilong and Meghaly he only sent half of those he should have sent me. Then I asked for five, and since I paid them, no more has been heard from Shiv. I hope we can work some varieties. I will do Meghalay this season, with the few seeds that Shiv sent, it is not ideal, but if they are seeds collected at origin, that will make their genetic pool not so small. but the ideal is to work with larger numbers. If anyone else is encouraged by Meghalay, I will try to do my best to repair seeds, I don’t think Shiv will be seen anywhere again, at least not with the same name. I hope I’m wrong on this last one.
what shiv sent me

Megahaly
Shilong
Panya
Ukhrul
Trimbak
nepal kathmandu
kashmiri
Brahma

what shiv didn’t send me

Nepal Terai
matori
buthan
Odisha
Chitral

14 Likes

I’m a year out from trying any of them, . I have East Africa to go thru, and new Oaxaca to explore first.
I have most of what Shiv sold, but lack the Keralas.

10 Likes

I have the four different varieties of Terai that Shiv sold me.
I told him to send me 50 seeds of each one, because with few seeds I think there would be inbreeding problems very soon.
but you say that he didn’t send those to you
It’s a very strange way to act
unless he has only gotten a few seeds of each variety and he does not have enough to satisfy the demand.
I’m sure we’ll see Shiv eventually.
The money he earns for a handful of seeds can never be earned in India.
But if I consider important, before continuing to send him money, make him comply with what we have already paid

11 Likes

Malana Pasture 43N update: last night she was looking pretty nice, definitely bulking up now that she’s staked out and getting sun all over. Today- monsoon rain of 1.5” inches for the day lol:

29 Likes

beautyful flowers,nicely colored

2 Likes

What kind of aroma does this beautiful plant with the purple flowers have?

3 Likes

So far I’ve just gotten a sandalwood-y sort of musk and “weed” smell, they’re very low odor plants in flower which was part of the appeal since it’s getting grown in a medium dense neighborhood. The coloration is unexpected, I knew about the lovely red stems but not the cold purpling that’s been coming on with temps in the mid 40s at night lately. I’m sitting next to it drinking coffee right now so here’s the rain day glamour shots of those red stems. This plant seems, as @Upstate said, completely resistant to everything else that’s been infecting the garden this year with the moisture, it is clearly bred for some late season cold monsoon rains which is sort of what a southern New England fall is like, it’s in the low 50s and just sheeting rain all day here, but we have some dry sunny days coming soon too:

23 Likes

@mexcurandero420 I realized that I never posted some of the info about this strain in this thread! It’s Old World Organics Malana Village via Colorado Sativas and a gift from @US3RNAM3

“ MALANA S1

Genetics: Pure Highland Sativa Charas cultivar obtained from farmers in Malana village, Himachal Pradesh, Northern India in 2014 (Old World Organics)

Outdoor flowering: Early to mid October

Old World Organics:

“Pure, open pollinated, Oregon acclimatized sativa hash plant. One of the most incredible and unique smoking experiences we’ve ever come across. Selected from seeds obtained from farmers in Malana Village in 2014. Most phenos will finish by mid October, but some will finish earlier. Very tolerant to wet/cold conditions, and almost completely impervious to mold/fungal infections. A very unique sativa experience, not comparable with other western “sativa dominant” varieties. Terpenes of sweet creamy mangoes and musky sandalwood, with the occasional hints of incensey chocolate from the purple phenos. Absolutely a true Himalayan gem. One of our favorites!”

https://coloradosativas.com/seeds/view/2993995/1/4443895

Thanks @saxo ! I love a purple/red/black anthocyanin look to herb, I wonder if the hash will be golden or colored more richly?

I am wondering if this plant is more representative of the Nirang type from across the Malana valley though, with the black/purple coloration that one is known for. Though this might just be the purple chocolate pheno mentioned by CS, which would be pretty neat if I ended up with a Chocolope-ish hashish. Zomia Collective has the best breakdown of Malana Valley accessions and micro-regions that I’ve seen, they offer a dazzling array of collections from the area:

Details:

Village(s): Nirang, Malana, Wailing, Atolang & Waichin

District: Bhuntar

Province: Himachal Pradesh

Area: Parvati Valley

Region: Northwest India

Appellation: Malana

Regional Planting: Spring

Regional Harvest: October to November

Height: 1-4 metres

Classification: NLD type Landrace population

General Info:

The famous Malana valley runs northeast from the Parvati valley and until a few years ago was inaccessible by vehicle with a trip to the charas fields requiring a multi-day trek from Jari or as was more common - from Naggar over the Chanderkhani pass.

The valley has five main settlements:

Malana Village at 2600m is the most famous of all the villages and the main, permanent settlement in the valley. The Tosco and Malndr fields nearby are renowned for their quality producing gorgeous examples of the local landrace genepool in tall healthy plants glistening with trichomes. Top quality charas produced in Malana village can go for up to 10-15,000INR per 10g compared to the 1-5,000 usual in the rest of Parvati these days.

Nirang is a settlement on the other side of the valley level with Malana that is the main jumping off point for visitors to Malana village. From the lower reaches of Nirang the trailhead to Malana village proper begins. The fields stretch up the mountain and valley in both directions on this side with the famous ‘Galleno’s valley’ on the way past the Nirang ‘Top’ fields to Rasol (apparently). Fields here are very high quality with a decent percentage of plants showing the signature ‘black’ colouration which has made Nirang so famous recently. ‘Kali Ram’ made his selections for ILE here which has led to other local farmers cashing in on the name and supposedly making selections from the same fields.

Wailing is a small hamlet that has grown in recent years due to tourism that in the past served as a place from which to tend the crops of the nearby fields which are at quite a distance from Malana village. Magic Valley nearby and the village fields are huge, filled with plants of every hue destined to be rubbed into some of the most expensive charas in India.

Atolang is much the same as Wailing in how it has developed except due to the proximity of the much more famous Wailing and Waichin, Atolang has few rooms for tourists and is fairly quiet. The fields here are also very big - stretching from Wailing to Waichin and above all the way up to 3500m.

Waichin is the furthest settlement on the way up the valley to the glacier and is similar to Wailing and Atolang except it has developed very quickly. Fields here as in Atolang and Wailing are huge. Past Waichin are the Thal fields while above is ‘Ralli Thatch’ amongst others - these are the highest altitude fields in Malana Valley and some of the best as far as the health, size and trichome density of the plants contained within.”

15 Likes

would be great,but i don´t think theres much difference

2 Likes

Odisha’s
Day 72f

D
Icarus flew too close to the sun…

B

I will rearrange them to the other side of the tent where I have better coverage to get these branches more light.

29 Likes

Interesting info, thnx for sharing.I grew RSC Malana years ago, no issues with mold, although it was very wet in autumn at the time, only a bit to late for my latitude 52N to grow outside.Parvati was earlier.

7 Likes

This was the RSC Malana i grew

31 Likes

@mexcurandero420 Wow! I’m sold. :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

We’re talking about Indianseeds97 on Instagram correct. He said I’d get my seeds in a month. It’s been 4 and he won’t respond. Kinda weird. I don’t think he’ll be around again either. His name is not trustworthy now. I was getting the Megahalaya and Wanz to search for a good mango strain. Who knows, maybe he got popped.

3 Likes

I love how red those flowers are!

4 Likes

Maybe he did get popped. It’s possible. I hope he’s OK.

2 Likes

Hey @Ottafish you should delete their paypal info from your post.

2 Likes

I have some wild seeds from Ganja Flood Plain in India. Here is the info I have on them.

Details:
Ganja Flood Plains Landrace
Collection month : April/May 2018
Collection sites :

1. Revelganj Ghat
    (Lat. 25.79, Long. 84.62 )
  2. Maharaja Ganj
    (Lat. 27.09 , Long. 83.34)
    Grows into a large plant with little to no tending, it’s unfarmed/undomesticated variety.
    Smell : mostly spices and berry/menthol.

The seeds were collected from the flood plains of ganga river in northern India from upper Pradesh to Bihar and Nepal border. These plants come up naturally every year amongst other natural flora, these plants have never been domesticated by human beings in any deliberate way. These will generally grow very wild/feral way and flower for 12-14 weeks. The high from hash made out of this strain is very cerebral and uplifting with no body effects.

Collected by one of the members of Indian landrace exchange from the ever receding flood plains of The great and The Holy “Ganga river”. This will be the first ever distribution of the said strain.

The location of the seed collection site, ranges from the flood plains of ganga at Bihar/Nepali Border to Uttar Pradesh / Nepal border. The collector is also a native of Bihar (Indian state), his family has been farming wheat, rice, lentils and other herbs at low scale for many generations in that region. We will be extremely rejoiced to donate exactly half of all the funds to his family and to an outreach program for underprivileged kids through a reputed NGO and to make this a win-win situation for everyone the packs will be up for a minimal donation.

The collected batch of seeds features a mix of different phenotypes from all over the flood plains of ganga at different towns and villages situated near or inside those plains. The hunt passes through multiple locations in May 2018 and taking advantage of the spring bloom before the reveg kicks in during the month of June, the seeds were collected with the documentation of terroir and some of the basic/apparent features of the plant like - common smell, average height etc. Some of the locations includes Holy-towns like Revelganj at the border of India and Nepal and “Ganga pandey Ka tola” which is the place where Ganga river divides two Indian states. However All the terroir/ co-ordinates and other relevant information required to maintain your journal will be provided via e-mail.

Why must it be preserved??!??

The Human expanse into the fertile plains of ganga river over the years have gradually increased the human activities and intervention to a great extent, which in turn is threatening the delicate eco-system present at the flood plains of the Ganga.

While the animals and birds simply move to more conducive environments, plants like cannabis are scrambling at the cusps of being lost forever and here we have a unique opportunity to preserve this pure landrace in a form that is simply unadulterated from human influence and thus Preserving a copy of this genotype, provides us with an unprecedented permeability into the gradually closing door to a lost world.

20 Likes

Are you going to grow them???

5 Likes

Yeah! Or, if not, are you looking for someone to reproduce them (not me, I have no skill for such things yet)?
Sounds like an incredible preservation opportunity

4 Likes