Leafminers!? šŸ›

This morning I found this just in one plant while visiting my lillies :seedling:, it is just a one night damage and the rest are OK, thoughts? icon_e_confused|nullxnull

6 Likes

Never had them myself, but Captain Jackā€™s Deadbug Brew says it will take care of them right on the label.

5 Likes

I had miners and the damage looked different. You got spots, I had real tunnels. How is the underside of the leaves looking?

Mine looked like this (not my pic)

You could try biological weapons :honeybee:

5 Likes

It looks like splashes, Iā€™ve seen plants like that splashed with chlorine ā€¦ Did you spray something that might have accumulated on the leaf overnight?

4 Likes

The really strange part is the outer spots form like a perfect circle. Did it just happen overnight? If not, what kind of time frame are we looking at?

1 Like

Yes that looks to me like leaf miners. You should look underneath the leaves and look for little white spots. Thatā€™s the eggs, and when they hatch they will continue the process. You can remove all affected areas or use chemicals to kill them.

Youā€™re right, they donā€™t look as leafminers, no eggs on the underside ā€¦

Thanks, nope, I only spray when lights are out and the rest of plants are OK ā€¦ icon_e_confused|nullxnull

Interesting view, I thought it may be windburn from the fan, but at night it is off and damage normally is in the tips and borders, strange, it happened in ten hours time ā€¦

This picture is from the 31st October, I changed the postion as it was too close to the lights, no signs of nothing ā€¦

4 Likes

Those marks are not caused by leaf miners, George.
Leaf miners are the larvae of certain flies & beetles that, after their eggs hatch, they burrow through the leaf epidermis and into the center of the leaf to feed and grow. Leaf miners leave behind what looks like squiggly lines in the affected leaves. They only affect the leaves of plants.
These marks resemble damage Iā€™ve seen from leaf hoppers, which are totally different insects.

The marks on your leaves look like something was splashed on them more than an attack by an insect. The two lines of brown on the two bottom leaves appear to be more pattern like than something random. Again, this is simply my observation.

2 Likes

Thanks, that was my first thought but was not sure, thatā€™s why the questionmark and opening a thread. I havenā€™t splashed or sprayed nothing, I water in the morning and directly in the soil. It is a tent inside a room in a second flat, so out of indoors, no window open, no bugs (just some fungus gnats but not enough to worry about :sweat_smile:)

Thanks for the help, I have sprayed with Canna Cure (if thereā€™s no bug at least as IPM), I will see if the damage expands or not ā€¦ :sunglasses:

I was going by the pic allotment posted, my badā€¦
I should find some weaker smokeā€¦, naaah!

2 Likes

I had very similar spots from being sloppy while watering! Didnā€™t realize I splashed some off the main stem onto some leaves

1 Like

That may happen with a hose frech|nullxnull , I remember now a thread of someone with plants with similar damages because the spouse watered them cry3|nullxnull and I suggested to use a more precise instrument like I do:

Captura

I am aware of the loupe effect from the lights :fire: of a drop in the leaves and use to swipe them if any :sweat_smile:, that also wouldnā€™t explain the external circular line pattern icon_e_confused|nullxnull JoeCrowe pointed out.

If thew stay paralyzed in time then some sort of splash may have occurred, if they grow or get bigger then bugs would be behind, to be continued, thanks for your thoughts ā€¦ beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

For future reference, even if it was leaf miners, they donā€™t do much. They wonā€™t kill your plant. If it does happen, just pull the leaves off or spray with spinosad.

3 Likes

Thanks, but I have discarded bug activity, another Hibernate that was OK has now started to do the same thing in the new growth, so also splashing discarded, the mystery continues ā€¦ :sweat:

Do a complete environmental assessment. Check temps, ph, EC, moisture level. Somewhere there is an answer, perhaps even lurking in the soil itself. When I get something strange going on I just do a complete refresh if nothing seems to make sense. example: all those variables test fine, but the plant isnā€™t doing good, so then I toss the nutrients and put fresh water and new solution.

1 Like

Thanks for your input, temperatures and humidity are correct and constant, the other plants have the same soil, feed and conditions, they seem more or less OK. It doesnā€™t look as a deficiency or excess, I have stopped the fan (wasnā€™t direct) to see if it was wind burn, will see if that stops the issue ā€¦ icon_e_confused|nullxnull

1 Like

Wind burn can be a tricky culprit. I never have fans blowing on or around my plants, instead the air intake is on the far side of the bloom room, high up, and the outflow, powered by fan, is on the other end down at the bottom. Itā€™s kind of like an entire room that is made like a flow hood. Things heavier than air are the first sucked out.
I always see peopleā€™s grows decked out with mega fans blowing on the plants, but thatā€™s not my bag.

1 Like

I see your point, here humidity is high, around 60-70% in that tent. I have no extractor or air intake as in the flower one, just two small dehus. I move the air around the tent to avoid mould, but it doesnā€™t hit directly the plants. I will shut it off for a few days, but windburn affects usually tips and borders and doesnā€™t create blotches, Iā€™m still lost with this ā€¦ :sweat:

Hi @George something similar appeared in my plants. Last week the temperature reached 35 Ā° C, with high humidity (I donā€™t have a meter). This week, it dropped to 10 Ā° C, and extremely dry, for a few days.

I water every 3 days with biofertilizer and cow urine for fertilization, because as it is in the soil I never saw it dry.
Could it be a momentary excess of nutrients that the plant eliminated through the leaf and dried, leaving some salt that caused the stains? I am saying what I observed in my plants, because they all have, practically the same soil, the same fertilization.
Another observation is that the plants that had the spots were chosen by the leaf-cutting ants. Proving the fact that pests usually attack sick / deficient plants ā€¦

We continue ā€¦

3 Likes

Hi Gugumelo, thanks for your input. I donā€™t think it may be a nutrient burn, normally It is manifested by burnt tips and leaf borders. It happens not just in some leaves. I donā€™t know if it could be a Boron deficiency:

and looks like it is strain related as it only happened to the Hibernates (and not all). The rest of the plants looks apparently fine. In your case it may be bugs related, I see what could be some eggs, the rest of the plant looks great, willing to see more pics ā€¦ beer3|nullxnull

1 Like