LED vs 1000w HID

Yes so very true

1 Like

LED lights require a higher room temperature to work correctly…there is no way around this . this isn’t theory or speculation, this is fact.

As for quality, I grow with LED and my product is irreplaceable in the market. not a single dispensory has anything that remotely compares… they all use HID in the big grow houses and my LED bud is far superior… LED is the future of growing weed

10 Likes

A horse can be LED to water…

8 Likes

I get it, if you’ve already invested in, and comfortable working with particular equipment that has proven itself, it’s hard to change. Especially since the price of higher end HID are dropping, both for new units, bulbs and parts. if you can deal with the heat and have a large area to cover, HID are hard to beat for the price per square foot. But to say an overhead HID still out performs watt per watt, and dissing people for using anything else, that’s just narrow minded and tunnel vision.
Of course there’s more science and data for HID since they’ve been around a lot longer and have been used in professional agriculture settings, but that data is has swung in favor of the newer LEDs, can’t compare them to the lights that were out even 5-8 years ago.
Though again, in the northern half of the continent, when it’s no longer outdoor growing season, the heat HID put out is part of the benefit of using them.

6 Likes

Perfectly worded.

3 Likes

I would love to try LED lights, way back when 20 years ago

it was not hard to see :slight_smile: they were the wave of the future

but the did suck back then

they also had the Phototron back then that suck even more

but I have 20 years of inside grow lights which is hard

just to month ball when it works

I grow for the head and work for my money

so that never comes into play, but after working outside this year

after not since 1997

let me grow under the Sun

Dequilo

PS I will still use my double ended HID inside

as I have them and they work for me

5 Likes

Exactly, if you have something that works, and don’t need to replace it, then keep using it until you see a need to change. But don’t just say the new stuff is all junk because of pride. For me, I knew heat and energy consumption would be an issue, and I know, from experience, fluorescents are just not going to get me the product I want with the space i now have to work with. I had experience with LEDs for reef tanks, they grew high end corals wonderfully and had great color development. Also being on a very small budget, I found out even off the shelf screw in led bulbs work for growing. just like the CFLs I used in my micro grow but MUCH better. Falling back on what I did for that micro grow, I got some bathroom vanity strips screwed them to some strips of wood and hung them. Found 4pk of led bulbs for $2, I got the 15w (actual energy use, 100w equivalent). At $0.50 a bulb, I got a blend of 2700k and 5000k bulbs to evenly cover my 3x3 from edge to edge. I can adjust spectrum and spread as desired, just need 30-35w/sq ft of actual energy draw to bloom with, can go more if using CO2. I’m also adding in some reptile uvb cfl bulbs as a supplement for UV and help fill in missing spectrums, as the 6-8 inch distance from lights to canopy is within the usable output range for UVB from the of the reptile bulbs.

5 Likes

That was a critical point I found here. We’re all here for discussion, not commandments. Use your technique in your environment, maybe the rest of us learn something or have suggestions.

3 Likes

You My Friend you get it :slight_smile:

I was off the grow board for a bunch of years

because of just that

but very sadly it is getting that way all over with almost

everything today

I did have to take a break from growing for about 4 or 5 years

as I had a neighbor that was trying her hardest to get my old three felon

ass thrown in jail

but as how karma work in this great universe

she got cancer and died

so much in lighting has changed since 2000 and when I joined the first OG

you can tailor your light to your setup

we were working with warehouse lights and security lights

and were fuckin’ afraid we would go to jail because we bought one

today I get clones shipped to my grow address in a not legal state

and never give it a thought

the grow world has changed eh?

Dequilo

7 Likes

It’s a whole new world alright. I remember seeds and good genetics were like gold. Back on old overgrow, If any trading or free seeds were going on it was all done quietly. Now everyone is sending seeds back and forth like trading cards.

2 Likes

people were afraid of going to jail for seeds

it was crazy

My Friend I lived throw Pipe Dreams, Green Gardener

it was nuts online grow shop gave the FEDs their mail lists

it you had a pipe with three holes you go to jail

I remember seeing bongs (pipes) at the time with corks in the carburetor

hole

now you can buy K2 on the corner

all the best

Dequilo

EDIT to keep this on topic :slight_smile:

put up 3000 watts over a 8 foot by 12 foot by 8 foot tall room

with the lights on the ceiling

I would go with HID as I can grow them on the floor or 12 - 18 inch off it

I have not seen LEDs covering that footage

but I have not look so I may be wrong

peace

dequilo

1 Like

I’m old enough to remember when having a few joints in your cigarette pack was a good enough reason to run from the cops.

But yes, it’s amazing how above board seed sharing has become. The generosity of our members fills me with warmth.

8 Likes

the Devil’s Harvest

would make you crazy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Weed doesn’t make you paranoid. The cops are actually out to get you. Or used to be anyway.

5 Likes

I know how that feels

4 Likes

It’s a bit off topic but I have to mention it. The generosity of this site is the major thing that enabled me to grow comfortably. I couldn’t rely on any info I’d get other places, even MMJ sites, on how to grow without their exact set up. I have zero friends who grow, hell I haven’t even found bag seed once. I couldn’t really say if I was more or less paranoid before I started smoking, but I for sure was terrified to even buy seeds- were they going to get to me? Will I ever see my money again, lol?

Just know, if you’re giving love into a community it makes an impact. It saves lives.

8 Likes

it is a great site indeed :slight_smile:

very good info and helpful folks

also the let me post here :wink: might be a bit bias

6 Likes

Yes it definatly has hell 40 years ago i just threw em in the ground with some nice cow manuer and watered em didnt even worry about what fertilizer i was using let em grow harvest before 1st frost dry em and quality control that was it 40 years later i guess a botony degree or a horticulture degree would work just like having a reef tank with corals if you want a nice set up a degree in oceanography and or chemistry would definatly help…lol. But i seem to learn something new every day on here this is the only forum i am a member of but sometimes i will paruse others to soo if there is anything worth reading about the key to this whole growing thing is. Dare i say it. EDUCATION

peace out and stay safe

2 Likes

Yeah i know but doesnt seem to bother them

I bought an 1000w hps/ mh just to get me back started. When I can afford it, I’m gonna upgrade to some leds. I also have a ho T5 in my veg tent that I got a great deal on. What you can afford dictates what you use. In the end it all works, just some better/cheaper than others.

It is addictive to send seeds as well. On my first batch I realized how it made me feel everytime I received some seeds. Once I realized i was sending out a handful of smiles, I received overwhelming joy as well. This community is totally awesome.

13 Likes