Lefthand's Synthetics from Scratch

Hey lefthand i was looking at haifa polyfeed polka 9-10-38(+3)+ME with haifa calcinit
Need to buy new fertilizer was using peters combi terra or kristalon orange with kristalon calcinit
My distributor has now the full haifa line
Can i maybe combine it with an other haifa product to build a nice cannabis ferti for recirculating ebb and flow ( im on rockwool)

1 Like

I don’t see you listing Si as one of the macros. I have been using Stout MSA with good results, though I cannot say my results are better just for using the product since I have changed so many variables of late. :wink: I have been adding a ml/gallon

I’ve used Agsil in the past but it’s so alkaline that it’s kind of a pain to use. I’m using Royal gold tupur as a medium, and it has basalt in it. Basalt has a high silica content, so hopefully my plants get what they need from that without any other additives.

4 Likes

There’s no problem mixing fertilizers as long as you either know how to make sure they won’t precipitate when you mix stocks -or- just dilute them separately before mixing.

If you are following mfg instructions, you can just split them half and half or in whatever ratio you want.

6 Likes

Great work! Thanks for all the work you have done on this. It helped me a lot on switching to self mixen nutsrien.

2 Likes

I’m not getting the same numbers from hydrobuddy for Jack’s 5-12-26 (and calcium nitrate, magnesium sulfate) @ 3.6 : 2.4 : 1.2 as these. The only number that is the same is Fe. I just recently installed a fresh copy of HB, meaning I just added Jack’s 5-12-26 yesterday, from the label’s GMA. I also just double checked that I added the numbers/substance correctly. My results are different.
I just wanna see if one of us did something wrong; made a mistake or something. Also, sometime in the recent past I was asking the company questions about Jack’s (5-12-26) and their “new bag”/packaging. Long story short they did indeed make some pretty minor changes to the formula, and from what I remember, they did very little - if anything - to advertise this fact or let everyone know. But, I think if was maybe magnesium or sulfur related. That doesn’t mean they didn’t change other things though, it’s not like they’re legally required to make everything known.
Anyway, your numbers in HB maybe derived from an older label? I’m just trying to figure this out now. It could be me that messed something up.

N (NO3-) 138.849
N (NH4+) 6.974
P 49.803
K 205.255
Mg 91.171
Ca 120.462
S 122.08
Fe 2.853
Mn 0.476
Zn 0.143
B 0.476
Cu 0.143
Si 0
Mo 0.181
Na 0
Cl 0

If I recall correctly, one thing that General Hydroponics Flora series has that many other don’t have is Cobalt…?

I just “came across” this (Kristalon, Brown and Orange) in a post by AquaTerra (Canadian OG's! Plant Prod MJ 1kg & 5kg kits - #9 by AquaTerra). I was looking for any user experience on Plant-Prod 6-11-31, which I was seconds away from buying, but changed my mind last minute, partly due to comparing it to Jack’s 5-12-26 in hydrobuddy. Despite AquaTerra (GardenTech now, actually closed down now) saying that he could get these Yara Kristalon products (YaraTera, not YaraLiva - like their CalciNit) I called PlantProducts.com to ask about them and see if they supplied this “line”, and if my local supplier could order it from them, they so no. She’d not even really heard of the YaraTerra line. It doesn’t come up on the Yara site if canada is selected. And the Brown only shows up on the UK site, from what I could see.
Jack’s compared to Plant-Prod 6-11-31 @ 3g/Gal (to closely match the N content of Jack’s 5-12-26 @ 3.6g/Gal recommended rate. I think the Plant-Prod recommended rate is 4g/Gal) with CalNit at 2.4g/Gal:

JACKS PLANTPROD
N (NO3-) 138.849 N (NO3-) 138.849
N (NH4+) 6.974 N (NH4+) 6.974
P 49.803 P 38.044
K 205.255 K 203.939
Mg 59.914 Mg 25.361
Ca 120.462 Ca 120.462
S 80.837 S 33.286
Fe 2.853 Fe 2.378
Mn 0.476 Mn 0.476
Zn 0.143 Zn 0.159
B 0.476 B 0.214
Cu 0.143 Cu 0.032
Si 0 Si 0
Mo 0.181 Mo 0.071
Na 0 Na 0
Cl 0 Cl 0

I’d like to know people’s thought’s on the Plant-Prod 6-11-31. I just want(ed) a “backup” to have something simple, while I attempt to transition to “custom blends” and the mistakes that might come along with that learning curve.

I’m just over halfway through the thread, I’d better post this before it gets any longer.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Just from the comparison above looks like add a bit more of epsom salt to PlandProd would get real close to the same numbers as the Jacks.

I installed HB 1.100 a couple days back and have been going over the thread and learning to play with it. I had not added Jacks numbers yet. The version he was using looks to be 1.97 but like you say probably due to changes in the formula.

2 Likes

I’ve ran plant prod a couple years now with good success.

3 Likes

You ran plant-prod 6-11-31?

Are you looking to make custom blends?

1 Like

Some additives to push the edges where appropriate. No one part is gonna carry you all the way and give the best results. Thinking more of tailoring current products with some fiddling to get less N in the end and ensure good Ca/Mg ratios etc

1 Like

That’s what I initially thought too. I wanted to manipulate N at times. But it’s hard to actually do, without affecting calcium, and it’s hard/impossible to reduce jacks/whatever pre-blend without reducing micronutrients.
So what are you using then? I’m using Jack’s now, last bit of it. Not a “one part”, but the only other “part” is CalNit. Aside from MgSO4. In the traditional 3-part recipe that is.

Jacks just released a nitrogen free part A 0-12-26 that still has all their micros in it.

1 Like

I have Megacrop, Bud Explosion (MKP) and MaxiBloom. I also have a couple other salts (epsom and gypsum) and CalMag+

Currently been using mostly Megacrop till the last few weeks and mostly manipulating ppm

1 Like

I know, thanks. So does masterblend. Not in canada though.
The masterblend can be purchased from Customhydronutrients, but a 25 Lb bag $67 usd for Americans, and $180 cad (+duties/customs) for canadians - so well over $200 cad likely.
Jack’s 5-12-26, which is available in canada, is $180 a bag now, so $200 cad. But I’d rather Plant-Prod 6-11-31 at $130ish and it’s a bigger bag, too. I just wanted some more pre-blended stuff for a fallback plan, and/or convenience and other crops. I have practically everything I need to make custom blends, though. I’m a little wary of switching from Jack’s, which I know to a degree, to custom blends in mid flower.

“God bless America”, is what I’ll say. Ain’t no Independence Day over here.

Cool. The one-part MC?

2 Likes

Indeed. v3 I believe. Mostly just trying to make the most of what I have without spending more money :wink:

2 Likes

@lefthandseeds
One thing I’d like to hear about is your actual process and procedure, not only for weighing and mixing the fertilizers, but also your practices for storage of them - in a dry state in particular. For example, do you wear a mask (half face, full face, etc.) while measuring out or adding the salts to water or anything. Mixing up 30-70g of Jack’s 5-12-26 in a beaker on my magnetic stirrer is a dusty procedure. It’s very fine and light and it’s impossible to not get at least little dust clouds that float around and land on surrounding surfaces (not to mention one’s eyeballs and into one’s lungs, without any kind of protection).
You’re probably in the US, which means you can get practically anything and in any amount - you can get 1Lb, 4Lb, etc., of any salt/input from Customhydronutrients.com (and probably a dozen or more other sources) with free shipping and great prices. In canada it’s absolutely insane. And one has to buy 25Lbs for it to even make sense economically. Especially since Gardentech.ca is closed (@AquaTerra was/is an awesome guy/store).

Eg: I buy a 25Lb bag of MKP (locally. It would probably cost only twice the amount as buying 4-10Lbs from CHN). I then have to vacuum seal it into individual 2 or 3 pound bags. When I open up a 3Lb bag, now I need an air tight container to store it in, while I use up that 3Lbs of salt. It has to be easy enough to open and close, to access the contents when I need to, but also absolutely air tight/water tight.

I know this might not be an issue for you at all, because you can get 1 to 4Lb amounts direct, that come in (reasonably) air tight, resealable containers, and you’ll get through them in a reasonable amount of time (before moisture would become a big problem).

Anybody have any ideas or experience with this?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Moisture is a problem in even small amounts if you are only using small amounts. I often transfer to smaller packages to keep out moisture and am keenly aware of the dust. If a package is opened daily to mix it only takes a week for some mixes to gum up into little balls (Megacrop)

3 Likes

I wear glasses normally, so I don’t use any extra eye protection. I don’t normally wear a mask when I’m mixing, unless I’m dealing with potassium silicate. MKP, potassium sulfate, epsom are all relatively safe. Potassium nitrate and calcium nitrate might be slightly more reactive, but calcium nitrate is usually not in powder form. I usually wear a mask if I’m dealing with any organic nutrients.

Typically I mix to solution strength and not stock. I don’t have an injection system, so it’s easier just to mix it 15-25 gallons at a time and feed it. I’ve had problems with things growing in stock solutions, unless I use a preservative like sodium benzoate. I weigh and mix the phosphates and sulfates using an old blender and then dilute it in my reservoir while it’s filling. Then I do calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate (if I’m using it) the same way and combine it. I like to add the chelated micros straight into some water in the reservoir first.

I mix in the blender each part separately. If you get the parts dissolved separately and then add to a larger reservoir, then you don’t really ever have to worry about precipitation, and the agitation from the blender does a great job of getting everything dissolved.

Yeah, I use CHN for pretty much everything. :hugs:

I haven’t bought from here, but maybe this place would be better for shipping? https://greenleafaquariums.com/

They have everything you’d really need. Their EDTA+DPTA micros are plant prod that I use, I think. They sell kits with 1lb of each component. To get started you want calcium nitrate, epsom, potassium phosphate (MKP), potassium sulfate and chelated micros (plant prod). Potassium nitrate is very useful to have as well, but it’s possible to get away without it.

All of my containers from CHN have lids and seem to do ok with moisture. I use baby formula containers to hold smaller quantities if I bought a big bag. Potassium silicate turns into a solid brick if absorbs enough moisture. Magnesium nitrate is another one that takes up water pretty quickly, but I rarely find a use for that one.

6 Likes

Thanks.
I have all that I think I’ll need from CHN (micros and the micro mix). And I have everything macro wise I’d need from local source (had to get 25Lb bags, except MgSO4). So, I guess I was mainly asking about mixing, and dry storage - which might only apply to those buying (having to buy) large amounts, where they can’t just keep opening and closing a 25Lb bag. Or even a >5Lb bag.
Have you seen @skybound’s thread on another forum about custom fertilizer mixing, where Daniel Fernandez was posting?

I know, that’s why I’m asking about good containers, haha. Yea, stuff like calcium nitrate is very hygroscopic. It just turns to water in a matter of seconds or minutes.

I’ve been using mason jars with third party lids that have a silicone gasket seal for a while now. They work, but they’re limited in size, and shape, and they’re heavy glass. Glass is good, but heavy and obviously breakable.

The Jack’s is so fuckin’ dusty and goes air born so easily, I hate mixing it each time.

Thanks.

1 Like