Lest we forget FishyTales

Thought I should start a thread to contribute more to the community I have grown to love! Little background to start. I first started ‘growing’ bagseeds in the late 90s as a teenager. Had NO clue as to what I was doing and basically grew trash. Then life events happened and decided to become a junky for a decade plus. When trying to get clean I found my calling in the garden to keep my mind occupied. So I replaced one addiction with another. My new addiction… ORCHIDS. I started buying orchids to Keep around the house during bloom. When they would finish bloom, I would take them to my mothers or sisters house and start planting in trees. Found some sort of inner peace in the process. I ended up going to a local orchid greenhouse and was talking with the owner and asked about breeding orchids. Her response to me was ‘you can’t’. When asked why, I got some bullshit attitude and a response of ‘you don’t have a lab/ sterile environment so it is impossible’. Cool story bitch, game on. Started breeding and flashing orchids in an aquarium with a piece of plexi glass and some elbow length gloves.

Around 2016, I started looking into forums. Started learning massive amounts from other members and decided to give cannabis a run again. Organically grown anything has always be something i strive prefer over synthetic anything. No hate/ or disrespect to any synthetic or hydro growers as I have seen the undeniable quality results.

I TRY to maintain 2 principles in life, you do you and I’ll do me and secondly each one teach one.

Now for the method. I use an amended soil mix (water only) and veg under a superNova Led light. Once plants get big enough to flip I usually flower outdoors. In the past I have run a 315 cmh however at the moment I am lacking the space to flower indoors.

Currently I have one LVTK (CannaVenture) out for flower. Along with a DarkHelmet (oceangrown) with an unknown to myself pollen donor. The DH got smashed outdoors and the plant is an absolute embarrassment so I won’t be posting pics of her!

In veg I have a second LVTK along with an LA Affie also CV. I also am vegging 2 of my own crosses Lost ship (Death Star x Scott’s OG) x (ELL x Pink Bazooka). Also in veg are 4 Reiko (lowryder x the devil) and just into water last night are 3 CS (DP x SLS). Exciting times ahead.

Without further ado here are a couple pics of LVTK 1 at +/- 3 weeks

Just a quick edit: I must admit I also ‘tea’ occasionally as well as foliar calcium right around the time of flipping the plants. I’m preparing now to grow a few trees in ‘19 as well as perhaps a small guerilla grow next spring/ summer also.

32 Likes

ooooooooo :popcorn: I want a front seat

7 Likes

Scoot over :seat: :popcorn:

6 Likes

@Badfishy1, you had me at “breeding orchids”. Seriously, cannabis is like dandelions in comparison

:thumbsup:

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story! Plant looks great! Looking forward to seeing your grows!

6 Likes

Agree fully! Unfortunately hell hath no fury and I lost over 20 flasks of orchids from 1 month- 1 year old. Probably better off if honest. The orchid obsession was life consuming especially the week before during and after flasking.

6 Likes

Thanks for all the support. Will be the first to admit there are people with far more time knowledge money and skill to put forward, and this is a hobby to me. However, I will put all I can forward and do my best!

11 Likes

We’ll be here to help fill in the gaps :smile:

9 Likes

Spectating!
That’s some healthy looking girls there mate, i’m keen to watch them grow.

5 Likes

Great story! I’m loving orchids, especially the rare ones tough to cultivate in our conditions…! My hat off to the growers who can do it!

8 Likes

Have you grown Vanilla? I’ve been tempted, but have yet to attempt it.

4 Likes

Absolutely! One of my favorites! I have at least 2 maybe 3 at my in laws. Beautiful when she flowers, only open for 6 hours before dying off. Only 2 places in the world are home to the only bee that pollinates them naturally. Therefore Hand pollination is required to makes the seed pods or vanilla beans. That combined with a long cure process is reason vanilla extract is so expensive :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Some darn healthy looking girls ya have going on there @Badfishy1! Can’t wait to see more pics!

4 Likes

As far as keeping them alive, that’s ALL environment! And breeding is all meticulous attention to sterilie and patience. I know of a lady selling her collection valued at over $2m due to all her rare plants from the 60’s and 70’s.

6 Likes

Thank you sir. Will take more as everything progresses

4 Likes

truth

3 Likes

8 Likes

Number 1

12 Likes

Anybody have an experience w Epsom salt foliar spray? First question is at what ratio to apply it. Secondly, I’m sure ‘pure’ Epsom is the best. However atm only have Epsom W coconut and sunflower seed oil. Anybody think of any negative/ adverse issues this would cause?

1 Like

Sad day in the fish house. Had to put down 2 @ReikoX lr x the devil makes… leaves me with 2 still yet unconfirmed

2 Likes