Let’s see those old grow guides and collectibles!

It did… I’m beginning to think some of the people on this site may be on drugs. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Saw a book come up on eBay that I would have loved to purchase and add to the collection. I couldn’t believe the price it was great, but there were only a couple pictures of the books exterior. None of the pages inside. It didn’t list it’s condition either.

The pictures were only of the dust cover front back and spine, but the book looked very well cared for in what was able to be seen. I packed a bowl to think about it, decided dust jackets usually show wear quicker than the books and pages themselves so it was a no brainier order it! Didn’t even finish the bowl, go back to refresh the page to see it’s already been sold. Just a reminder that if you know something is good, trust your instincts and don’t hesitate. Much love

2 Likes

Been there… Bought the guide book or sadly didn’t… Felt the pain

Better luck next time… Some times it’s best to just jump and resell later if it’s not what you thought it was… Maybe someone else will cover the money you put out!

2 Likes

I absolutely am. It wasn’t wireless as we know it today. It was basically just a wireless touchscreen monitor. We definitely had those in thee 70s. :grin::thinking::seedling:

People at the club used to rib me about it saying it was just a handheld tv…

TBH I probably have one in storage somewhere…nothing like a Mint NIB copy though…

Lol, I’m not trying to derail this…we used to have a chat similar to overgrow today…Now that I get to thinking about it, I think that the university of Hawaii bought the tech we were using. The funny thing is, they weren’t actually that interested in the tech, they actually just wanted to get onto our private message board…

Aloha :wink:

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. Something about not feeling so alone in the world always seems to soften these blows. It was definitely a learning experience to be more assertive in my wants and needs, but it also helped me filter them more for myself in ways I never really gave much thought. I’m learning more about the book collecting scene and it’s nice.

With the more pristine appearing copy slipping through my fingers at a very fair price, I learned how I really feel about dust jackets. They’re not the most important aspect to me when collecting, meaning, I won’t necessarily pay more just because it has a dust jacket. The caveat being, if the dust jacket has something extraordinary on it that I like or if it’s in absolutely immaculate shape, even then, it’s not something I place much extra value in. I’ve always taken most of mine off when I get my books just for the feel alone and to show off the hard cover. Definitely nice to have them if possible, but not at inflated rates.

With some of the older publications I’ve realized that I can find some pretty decent bargains just because there isn’t a dust jacket for the hardcover, and since it isn’t that big of a deal to me I can start filling slots on the bookshelf for cheaper than originally thought. In the same breath, there seems to be more emphasis on dust jackets in the collectibles aspect of the book collecting hobby so I’m learning to be more discerning when checking listings out.

I really like your idea of just picking one up for the rarer and more in demand publications to check it out knowing the resale market will likely make it up in the end if need be. This is all really helpful. I appreciate the conversation. As @buckaroobonsai mentioned, especially relating to cannabis collectibles, the market is growing and prices soaring. The market demand seems likely to cover any money put out as long as one isn’t significantly overpaying in the first place. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Much love

2 Likes

I guess if you’re really liberal about what a wireless touchscreen tablet means, it’s theoretically possible - the first wireless phones came out in 1973, and the first touchscreens came out in 1968. Someone could’ve combined those two in a fit of optimism about how well they’d actually function, hooked the phone line up to a modem and had a very heavy “tablet” that could technically respond to haptics if you pounded at it with your fist for an hour. It would’ve been about as streamlined and user-friendly as getting a piano dropped on your head and composing a symphony with it… but technically could’ve existed, I suppose.

4 Likes

Been ordering a bunch of books and it’s so enjoyable. Interested in a roughly 40 year old first edition copy that hasn’t been reprinted, but it has a small inscription on the cover page. Just wondering what others think about inscriptions and signatures in books for their collection. Much love

2 Likes

I like inscriptions and signatures, get that book!

2 Likes

Inscriptions, ex libris bookplates, I love all of it except for margin notes and highlighting!

3 Likes

Me too, the underlining really gets me, but it never ceases to amaze me…. the things that people underline….smh.

2 Likes

Love it !!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Really appreciate the quick replies @BU2B and @Dirt_Wizard, and the kind encouragement too @buckaroobonsai. The gift inscription is quite simple and quaint, “To (First Name), (Authors signature)”

I did some light reading over the night and saw some points of view regarding inscriptions and signatures as being a way to show provenance, so I kind of like that. But in the same breath, I’m not necessarily worried about proving it’s authenticity in such a way.

I also read about inscriptions having a sort of subsection to the most discerning. When an inscription is to someone important within context of the book, or historically famous in some other fashion. Also, if the inscription is more than just a quaint to and from and shares more details of the authors thoughts. In a sense, adding another page or paragraph to the book. Quite unique!

I already have a copy of this book ordered and on the way and I think it’s that great of a book that I wanted to grab another to have to give as a gift sometime in the future, so trying to stay within a budget I set for myself because it’s kind of expensive with respect to my finances. I made an offer though! Excited to see what their reply is. Much love

3 Likes

I look forward to seeing this book, post it up here once you get it…. or them, you have me curious. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Still want to learn a bit more about posting pictures on here, but I would love to share more because I definitely see and feel the value when others do so, like yourself.
And it’s so much appreciated!

A quick update on my recent book escapades. Me and the seller with the book having the inscription couldn’t meet on an agreeable price, so I wasn’t able to order it, but I’m learning to be both decisive and patient when traveling this path. Not to get bummed out about books that didn’t make it to my shelves. That the universe puts us where we’re supposed to be! To go with that flow and not fight it thinking we know better.

For example, one of the books I mentioned a few posts earlier about having a beautiful book jacket and I “missed out” on it when taking a few minutes to decide, coming back only to see it had just sold. I was trying my best to not get bummed out and that me not getting that book is, for whatever reason where the universe wants me. Sure enough, I ended up emailing a foreign seller with the same title but no pictures inquiring about the book. They didn’t provide pictures but said it was in very good shape and it was a bargain price wise because it was listed without the dust cover jacket and no pictures so I took a chance on their word and ordered it.

Before the seller shipped it, they messaged me saying how they found the dust jacket folded up in the book when they were packaging it up to ship. It arrived with a nearly pristine dust cover jacket! Apart from the distinct creases where it was folded, it looks pristine and the book itself is in a very good condition too. All in all, I didn’t end up missing out on the earlier book, I ended up getting a fantastic copy with a dust jacket for an even lower price!

Taking that sentiment with me, on my list of books to collect are the publications by Steve Murphy under his pseudonym Murphy Stevens, mostly for the connection between his work that’s reportedly available through Authentic Genetics and the pictures in the book hopefully sharing a resemblance. I think that’s pretty cool! So I’ve been looking recently and see copies of his various publications go from anywhere between $10-$40+ and have been meaning to pick them up when I can, although admittedly they aren’t the highest up on my priority list right now. Eyed a copy of one of the books on eBay for a fair price but the kicker was it’s condition, it looked really good! And for me, even though price is a factor, condition is huge because I really want the books usable and looking nice irregardless of my budget. I meant to make an offer and a couple days go by when I come back to check it was already sold for “make an offer”. So again, trying my best to remember the universe for some reason didn’t want me to have that book at that time for whatever reason leads me to a lady on YouTube repurposing worn out paperbacks with new binding in a hardcover format! I much prefer the hardcover options whenever possible and now feel I have some breathing room in my collecting, that I don’t always have to find the best condition possible and as long as the interior of the pages are mostly clean it can always be rebound and even into a hardcover!

Makes me want to create books myself too! Hope everyone is having a rad and beautiful day. Much love

2 Likes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225301411807

This is a prime example of the crazy prices that good things are going for these days.

I have a collection of these magazines and didn’t pay anything like this price… And there’s still time to go!

Madness that makes me happy… I’ve not wasted my money it would seem!

3 Likes

I’ve been watching this one, of the sales of this 3rd printing of High Times #1 in The last 20 something years, the average price has been $167, regardless of condition. Let’s see what this CGC 5.5 fetches at auction, anyone have a guess?

2 Likes

4 Likes

Those are too cool dude, nice! :+1:

1 Like

Yes…as @herojuana.tom says, looks like a microscope slide case. I have some but made of pp plastic.

1 Like

Here’s both an old grow guide and a wonderful piece of Old Internet history. In 1993 this guy in Australia named Ben Dawson spent three weeks typing out, word for word, his copy of Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal’s Marijuana Grower’s Guide, 1992 revision. Despite the fact that we probably have scans available now, I think this deserves to live on in glory for all the folks it probably helped in the nineties and early 2000s as a shared file or printout handed around prohibition areas.

Mel_Frank_And_Ed_Rosenthal_-_The_Marijuana_Growers_Guide.pdf (898.8 KB)

EDIT: @buckaroobonsai check this out, I think this is the guy, he would have been about 15 when he typed it up which seems about right. Looks like he became a soil and crop guy after that, thanks Mel and Ed!

https://au.linkedin.com/in/ben-dawson-2b392478

6 Likes