Let's See The Wild Animals In Your Yard

i think there is nothing else!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I keep a jar outside for when i break tomato branches, where they usually root and i try to grow them elsewhere.

This chipmunk started coming around and drinking the nightshade flavored water one super dry hot day some months ago and still does even though there is water Everywhere, Every day, the last few months. Go figure :tomato: :chipmunk::fountain:

24 Likes

what a cute little guy …

2 Likes

Hawk using our shade.

25 Likes

Can’t or Won’t.

:rofl:

1 Like

This was yesterday, the little bugger ended up under my deck. I yelled at him for a couple minutes and he had no fear, ignored me completely before he finally wandered off. Unfortunately that means he probably won’t make it through hunting season.

25 Likes

I know it’s a weird concept for many, but after awhile you just start to coexist with them. Here’s a big sow on my property.

30 Likes

20 Likes

that looks like a locust, but when i searched for pictures of them to show the girl, all i find are pictures of grasshoppers. even wikipedia has grasshoppers and not one picture of a locust. what gives?

4 Likes

That is a cicada

6 Likes

@Tripl3fastaction those are some really cute murder-puppies!

2 Likes

ah, i couldn’t recall that name. thanx.

2 Likes

Yep, cicada or loud mouth! Because they will drive you crazy, their so loud. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

we always call them locusts. 17 year locusts.

2 Likes

Little buck in the back yard enjoying apples from the trees.

Two fawns out front hanging out.

21 Likes

11 Likes

To me it is very unreal and so far from my bed and yet fascinating. I assume that even though you got used to them, they never get used to you and must be avoided at all times. Can you even go for a stroll in nature without danger?

3 Likes

I live among bears, too (as you can see from the first pic I posted in this thread). You can stroll in nature, but if there’s a mother bear and young cubs, the danger is real. You can’t know if a cub is near unless you see it/them - and if you do, turn around and go back into the direction from which you came.

There are rare instances when a female bear gets comfortable around a human or small family, and will bring her cubs to “show them off” to that human or family. But this is truly uncommon.

The good news is that most black bears will retreat if they hear you coming. So the best way to “stroll in nature” is to NOT do it quietly.

6 Likes

Okay that sounds safe enough for a human but with a Dutch Sheppard dog like mine on the loose that loves to explore things could become problematic i assume or do dogs stay away from bears?

3 Likes

Depends on the dog and the situation. Some dogs will go after a bear if they’re trying to protect something or someone. Sometimes that aggression will scare off a bear, but if that aggression is aimed at a cub, momma’s gonna go after the dog. If you have the dog on a leash and there are tags on the dog’s collar that clink and make noise, that should help to scare off the bear before there’s any confrontation.

4 Likes