LF anyone who was growing in the mid-late 90s, in Northeastern US

I’m from Western Massachusetts and in the early 2000s when I started smoking there was basically schwag or brick, mids, Beasters/commercial (mersh), kind, and headies as the grades. In my circle kind meant very good, but the best stuff was the old guy Family headstash we’d get sometimes and we called it headies. Most of what we got day to day was the bright green Beasters (Probably M39 or M33 Fries/Freezeland) that we were told got airdropped by the bale over the Canadian border in Upstate NY. Sometimes we’d get “local organic” which would be someone’s commercial homegrown, that was usually pretty kind but not quite AAA. Looking back I’m surprised we didn’t see more Chems, but I guess you had to be more connected than a bunch of young restaurant workers to get at the stuff that didn’t head down I-91. The absolute best thing to come through our town every year was a greenhouse crop from some local old head who sold half down the city and half locally, he had a killer Great White Shark that I still remember. I actually got a jar of GWS this year from Berkshire Roots (probably one of the top commercial cultivators in MA IMO) and I swear it might just be the same cut still circulating. I was floored when I lit it up and was suddenly back in that dirty hippie party house, six of us in a run down two bedroom, parties five nights a week until we got evicted.

8 Likes

sounds like an NL2 pheno to me given time period / terps etc

3 Likes

That shit I got in Front Royal early 2000s <2004 was the best ive had in decades. Still looking for anything close! Kind bud in our circle would simply mean, top shelf weed, stick around, you dont want to miss this! Lol
I almost remeber someone mentioning northern lights but I have no way to confirm that.
The guys who were able to get it didnt care what you called it.

Terps were outta this world. Christmas tree extravaganga! Piney skunky wonderful! Super loud and smoked just like it smelled. Stop you in your tracks! Great high! Limey green with orange hairs. Whoever grew that needed an award! Whoever can find it now needs a reward!!! Haha.

Hope you find the kind my friend!!!

Grow4th!!!

3 Likes

I don’t suppose you could recommend a breeder that has good NL2 beans?

I do love me some northern lights, but it sure has been a while.

3 Likes

Haven’t grown it myself but I’ve heard good things about agseedco’s NL2. I’ll let others who may have sprouted that one chime in.

2 Likes

As @api312 said, Agseedco. I’ll add that Deep Ellum has NL2 as well.

2 Likes

ive been eyeballing the hell out of the agseedco website for the last couple days lolol
thanks. i will check out deep ellum too.

2 Likes

fwiw - if you end up ordering from them they have a discount code for over growers “Overgrow" which i think gets ya 30% off iirc.

3 Likes

woah, thats awesome. thanks!

1 Like

I eyeballed the hell out of it and then opened the wallet. Skunk1, ohaze, nl2, rks, Gdp, and nl5. Just old school goodness that I couldn’t pass up. Also, to the op, I thought kind bud was just a generic term for the good stuffs. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I think it only works once so make sure you load the cart.

4 Likes

Hi, I was just listening to the potcast w DJ short and they started talking blueberry and he stated that before it was called “blueberry” it was called “The Kind” . I did get the impressiin that it may have been generic term for that “good” weed. Also mentiined tbe 80s.

2 Likes

@4ftfarmer In DJs history of developing Blueberry, he refers to the first generation of F1s from the three P1 parents, it’s the cultivar that we know as Blue Moonshine, he called it “The Cross”. Dunno if that helps any, but there’s also plenty of folks out there claiming pre-DJ Blueberry, though I tend to think they are actually talking about his early work which got to them uncredited?

2 Likes

Just found this thread because I had the same thought. In central Pennsylvania where I lived in the 90’s we had kind bud and red hair kind bud. Everyone raved over red hair. I grew an og kush seed a buddy gave me and I have to say the high was very similar. I have to get that nl2 strain and see if it fits.

Thanks @other_barry for posting the thread. And thanks all you folks that replied. Saved me some digging. Lol

1 Like

I believe there was a similar post not long ago. There were only a few handful of strains around at the time. I think some were saying nl5, in florida some refer to kind bud as crip or crippy. No real way to pinpoint the lineage. Fist kind of bud I smoked :eyes::joy: I pinched from my older brother. He told me the nug cost him $20 and he placed it on top of the tv stand… I had no idea how to smoke so I attempted to light the bud and breath in the smoke :sweat_smile::rofl::rofl:. Good times

2 Likes