Light burn or bud rot?

Hey. The sparatic growth in spots look like foxtailing to me caused by light stress. I had the same issue running 2 strains in a full tent and a few colas on one plant got too close. Once I removed the light stress the plant did come back some. It was my first run with a new led after switching out my HPS/MH system. I wanted to see how it would react so I left her and it dried out fan leaves and caused a similar issue to what I see you have. The brown spots do look like bud rot from those pics though. I have seen that before. I could be wrong but that’s what the pics look like to me. Here is a pic of the plant I had get too close and what it ended up looking like.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. That definitely looks like the white parts on my plant. I hope if its bud rot it was just a one off cause that plant is 3 weeks from finishing.

With 40% RH it is practically impossible to have bud rot, it must be just some damage due to that incident, I know what it is :disappointed:, was the reason for going indoors … :sweat:

4 Likes

Yeah thats what im thinking. Though I have over 2lbs of buds on other plants so I didnt wanna risk it so I cut it off.

My experience with bud rot is minimal. The 3 times ive had it was all from the same strain and i noticed a dead sugar leaf and following that leaf inward the bud opens up quite easily in that spot and the calyxes fall apart just as easily and inside theres nice fluffy white mold.

My guess is the brown leaves is from the K def this plant is having moving to the sugar leaves.

I find with bud rot it will fall apart in pieces if you touch it

3 Likes

Same. Also its deep in the buds in the beginning and usually kills leaves and ive never seen it be visible from the outside. It never gets that far along. I usually notice it when I see a dead dried sugar leaf.

I was able to manhandle that bud with all the calyxes staying intact.

My guess is light burn/damage from the light falling on it.

The brown bits do look like bud rot though. It passed the microscope test. I aint mad that I cut it off. Better to be safe than let it get airborne and spread to my other plants and I feel better being able to rip it apart. Couldbt do that with it intact on the plant.

2 Likes

It could very well be just damage from where it was hit, it’s really just the color that makes me think rot since I cannot touch it or smell it. Either way I think you made a good choice removing it. No point in taking a chance.

1 Like

Potassium is a mobile nutrient, any deficiency would show in the old leaves, not the new ones. They look fine in the plant pic you posted. Maybe it just can be a nutrient burn, Potassium is available everywhere and in a wide pH range … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Idk what it is. You thought it was K def.

Ive had this happen before in a grow a couple years ago and no matter how low i dropped the feed this still progressed

Im not an expert by any means…looks like K def. Got yellowing from edges inward and burnt edges

Please put all your troubles in one thread, I was speaking about the sugar leaves and the plant pic you posted here. If they are the same plants of the other thread, EC is not real high and pH is correct, the mistery continues as the other plants look fine with the same feed and conditions …

Could be something strain related, perhaps they have different nutrients necessities, what are the temperatures and RH? :sunglasses:

1 Like

I dont expect you to know my grow being an outsider looking in but this video pretty much sums up what has been going on with my plant. It looked like a Ca deficiency at first.

1 Like

Yeah im not super concerned with figuring it out. Its isolated to this plant and I dont plan in running this strain again.

Moving forward I will do different strains in single totes not my RDWC.

I didnt wanna pump K for this one plant and throw off the balance of the others so I just let it do its thing.

Temps are lower than id like. 65F lights out. 75F canopy lights on.

RH was around 40-45% I have my sensor set to dehumidify at 50% and it never kicks on. The past week I set it to 40% and it kicked on and read 45% but it was raining that day.

Great video, thanks for sharing, good tip is flushing to get excess sodium salts out, but I don’t know how you can do that in a RDWC ejem|nullxnull, have you thought about hempy buckets? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah…id like something simpler for summer. But the RDWC yields are great. This blue og could be a 2lber if it was healthier. As it stands should be a 24oz plant.

Canopy is 4x4 and similar in size to a green crack I pulled 20oz off of a couple grows ago. Green crack had a lot smaller of buds

Been at DWC for 10 years now and im at a set it and forget it point. Sometimes I go a bit too overboard with the forgetting part :rofl:

This plant got equally forgotten and is doing fine

2 Likes

I have the same problem, and I am new to this site, how do I create a thread or post a picture

I had something that at first looked like that and by harvest it had progressed to where several leaves were dead brown and crispy. Turns out I was using too much fertilizer too frequently. This is usually seen in flowering because the symptoms of overfertilizing show up later in the cycle because the excess fertilizer accumulates over time.