Lights and timing

Hey guys, checked on the plants this morning and my bulb has exploded!

I got the light back on by 11am, lights usually go on at 830am and off at 830pm( I’m 1 week into 12/12)

Am I better off to move my timer ahead so it shuts off at 11pm and turns on at 11am. the girls get a solid 12 hours of light this way. Or should I leave the timer where it is and they just have a short day today?

2 Likes

Sorry about your luck man

1 Like

Appreciate the sentiment! Gotta roll with them punches :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah true it still sucks to have equipment malfunction happened to me last week one of my quantum.boards died

1 Like

Just leave it, they’ll be fine

10 Likes

Thanks old-timer!

1 Like

Your welcome. Hope everything is ok and the bulb didn’t shatter. If it happens again I would consider contacting the manufacturer or buying a new ballast.

1 Like

Man I was in the room and had a cmh bulb drop. Was a crazy explosion. To hell with the light cycle just be happy you didn’t burn your spot down.

3 Likes

Just leave everything as is. It sounds like they may have gotten a little more dark period which is not a big deal. Especially this early on.
I would keep a close eye on your plants, but I would wager you will be just fine.
Increasing their light hours after switching to 12/12 could possibly cause issues, but 2.5 hours of extra darkness at this stage if anything may speed up the onset of flowers.

:sunglasses:
Doc

8 Likes

Can always count on OG for help. Thanks all.

The bulb is in air cooled glass tube so id be ok if it actually shattered I think.

The glass of the bulb itself didnt explode. One of the inside parts disintegrated and there was small crumbly bits on the inside of the glass.

Good tip on the ballast tho. I’ve been through multiple bulbs on my last 4 grows. Probley an issue there.

6 Likes

same thing happened to me last night with all the lightning, fried one of my power strips and blew out a 315cmh bulb, luckily I had an extra one but it’s a veg light, should be better than nothing
image image

4 Likes

Wow thats alot more damage than mine yikes.

2 Likes

Yeah mine fell and shattered and I was in room pop and molten material everywhere I was running for a fire extinguisher

2 Likes

It’s not so much the reduced light hours that trigger flowering as the increased dark hours. Likewise, it’s the lack of continuous dark period (lights on when they aren’t supposed to be) that tends to cause stress and herms. So, a few extra dark hours in early flower are nothing to be concerned with, especially in the face of an exploding bulb. Leave the timer as is and your plants will continue on as normal.

3 Likes

Great info thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to explain

1 Like