Lineage of the elusive Yellow Cab strain

Sometime back in 97 or 98 I got some Yellow Cab from the Grey Area coffeeshop in Amsterdam. One of my all time favorite strains. I’ve been trying for a long time to track down any information I can about the strain, even emailing the Grey Area (no response of course). So here’s my stab in the dark to see if anyone here might have any info on it. It would be awesome to get ahold of some seeds but I know there is a zero percent chance that will happen.

3 Likes

If they are out there, somebody here knows about it.

1 Like

I hope so. So far the only seeds I’ve found named Yellow Cab are from Top Dawg Seeds, which states the lineage as being GMO x 91 Chem. Oh, and they also come with a $204.88 price tag. And they’re sold out. Who the hell is paying that much for seeds?? Ridiculous.

I have my severe doubts that the Yellow Cab Seeds they were selling is the same as the stuff sold at the Grey Area. But, stranger things have happened.

2 Likes

You would be suprised what good genetics can fetch. I have seen packs go for $1000 and heard of packs going for 10k…

NO WAY!! For 10 seeds…are you serious? That is the literal definition of ridiculous: “deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd”.

How is that justified? Not buying, but selling for that much.

1 Like

@McMuffin Lol so many scams out there. . .check this one out. . .10,000 usd PER seed

2 Likes

Well I’ll be damned. I wonder if they’ve managed to rip anyone off. I wouldn’t doubt it. You know how the old saying goes; a fool and his money…

Also, isn’t BC Seeds Marc Emery’s old store or am I remembering things wrong?

Read the comments they are sooooo funny to me. . .I bought 10 seeds for 100,000$ and the company gives them 50 more of the same seeds free haha. Why not sell 50 seeds for 100,000 and give the 10 free wtf?

Yeah the weird thing about the comments is even the people that were saying it’s a scam still gave it three or five stars. So I guess they are rating the quality of the scam? As in “Damn, that’s a mighty fine scam you’ve got going on there. Five stars!”

2 Likes

Hahahah right that’s what I’m talking about it’s so funny

Im not going to come out and say that Top Dawg selling seeds for $20 a seed is a scam, because the market dictates that people are willing to pay that much. I don’t agree with it and I definitely wouldn’t pay that much for a seed though. But that’s me. What I am wondering about is if the Yellow Cab seeds they were selling is supposed to be the same as the Grey Area strain, or if it’s just a naming coincidence. The guy that runs the company posted on the old Overgrow site…maybe he’s still part of the OG community and can clarify? JJ-NYC or something like that. Any old school OG’ers remember him? Too long ago for me to remember everyone that posted.

I believe JJ’s Yellow Cab is a very recent creation, so it’s unlikely to be connected.

Just giving this thread a little bump for visibility. I’m still waiting on a response from a message I sent them on Facebook…doubtful that I’ll get any good info, but we’ll see!

Still no reply on Facebook messenger. Not that I was expecting one.

I’m not giving up hope completely yet though. Maybe @Speescees knows something? Amsterdam is your stomping grounds, right? Please say you know something about Yellow Cab!

Hey McMuffin, I’ve been looking for info on this strain for a while too and came across this old thread.

There’s not much info out there, but I did find out a couple new piece of info.

I came across a thread on another forum with a quote from another breeder, Mr Soul:
Look at the May ‘98 issue of High Times’ centerfold and find “Yellow Cab”…that’s EXACTLY what the finished Princess buds look like. The “frosting” of stalked, capitate trichomes on the flowers and smaller leaves gives them a “furry” appearance much like Haze.

I managed to get a hold of the article, but unfortunately it doesn’t provide any new info (just re-states that it’s a strain from Grey Area). However I did come across another article, which mentions that guy growing Yellow Cab for Grey Area goes by “Amazing Able”.

I’ve searched around, but haven’t found any more info on this guy. So it’s still not clear if this guy was growing the Strain from Top Dawg, or if it was his own creation.

There are a couple of Top Dawg instagram accounts, I think they’re related but it’s a bit hard to be sure:
@top_dawg_genetics_ and @TopDawgSeeds

The next step would be to reach out to JJ that way and see if he can shed any light on things. I don’t have an instagram account, I don’t suppose you do?

1 Like