Local heirloom strains?

So years ago in michigan we would get pinconning paralyzer, and I heard of monkeys paw, both of which were michigan strains. I grew up in Wisconsin and never heard of anything named when I lived there, it was honestly always the same schwag, never brick, but never good.

My question is what are some other local heirloom strains, wherever your from, that never became mainstream famous, and are any of them available as seeds?

4 Likes

Paonia Purple Paralyzer from Colorado. It is in seed form via @Hashtree. I did a reproduction, last year, but most of the seeds are lost. Some members have some, but I will need to do some more work with it to make it more available.

15 Likes

In Southern Ontario there’s a local strain that’s been around for decades usually sold by bikers, known as crinkle or Krinkle not sure exactly which one. But it is a clone only plant identified in plant form by its crinkly leafs and the buds is a unique smell and look and if your from there you just know what it is if you have had it. Was big in Hamilton ontario and haldimand County.

7 Likes

I love these topics, there’s a few lol. I’m only recently learned about our local strains in Maine, one of them is now “world wide” MOB (mother of berries). Then there’s Burnham Redeye, and I’ve heard mention of a Isles Borough Afgani.

8 Likes

I’m from San Francisco, there were so many amazing local black market heirlooms that slowly disappeared as cookies became more and more popular.
I’ll need to think about it for a while to come up with all of them.

But off the top of my head here are some of my favorite humboldt, mendocino, emerald triangle / lost coast heirlooms that seem to be lost, or appear to be extinct because they live only in a few private gardens.

green bud
california skunk
mango
thai
surf’s up thai
night bud
day bud
romulan
vietnamese

and of course, all of the old OG lines that circulated in the bay area. They are near impossible to find, for a long time I thought they were lost, until I saw them in the garden of a member here.
check out heritage farms strain info thread, he has written a lot on this topic.

6 Likes

There’s duck foot around my neck of the woods.

4 Likes

I can think of a bunch of lines circulated by harborside oakland and private prop 215 collectives which I have never seen again after legalization.

some of these cuts came from the private gardens of some amazing growers who were members of proposition 215 medical collectives, and sold / given away to collective members, and could be legally sold to dispensaires for retail.

Others were bay area elite strains that were available.
Harborside collective was amazing because they had so many experienced people who had access to amazing genetics, you could buy clones there known for certain that they were %100 genuine and accurately represented.

Here are some of my favorite cuts from them that I used to grow outdoor and greenhouse-

Purple Urkle
Shaman
3x Crazy
God’s Gift Purple
Grandaddy Purple
Mendocino purple
OG
Platinum OG
Deadhead OG
The White
Buddha
Santa Cruz blue dream
Chemdawg 4
Maple Wreck
Avocado
Redwood OG
Pakistani
Pineapple
Bullrider
Skywalker
Purple Diesel
sour diesel
mango
Berkeley
Cognac

5 Likes

Hello

Dark heart nursery seem to carry the real romulan clone without hplvd

I heard good things about conception clones nursery about their old og line

All the best

4 Likes

So I’m still confused a bit about the difference of the 88G13HP and the HP13
I’m seeing they are both completely different animals now tho haha
But the HP13 is G13 x HP as far as I can find, or vice versa. I don’t remember know ha.

And also thanks to @Dirt_Wizard s digging last night, I believe the “6/16” on the label is the date they were made, and not the number of packs made.

I found another guy online who bought a pack from a recent Top Dawg drop.
The comment was posted Dec 2015
And the picture of the pack was labeled 8/15

So I’m assuming it is in fact a date.

Dirt Wizard also found another pack of P Haze online thats recently been put up for sale.
I didn’t have any “date” on the label, but instead hade the genetics used for the cross.

Thank for all the info brother. I appreciate it.

17 Likes

i have ndnguy 88g13hp crosses but hazeman released seeds so probably many phenos

JJNYC uses ndnguy’s

7 Likes

Thank you for clarification because that is hella confusing.

3 Likes

Thank you. I knew they were not related, but wasn’t sure how to explain it.
My grail strain

3 Likes

Assuming what I smoked was what I was told it was, then that HP13 was something special.

One of only a handful of strains where the smoke smelled like incense. Like a haze.

Despite how amazing many different strains can smell in the jar, most of them once they are smoked smell like stale cigar smoke in the air within minutes.

The HP13 was one of those strains where I walked into the room and said “What the hell are you guys smoking?”

The smell it left lingering in the air let you know it was something special.

13 Likes

I’ve always thought the pics of hp13 looked a lot like the og kush and sour diesal plants.
I’ve also heard it was a pheno of sensi seeds hashplant.
Ive also heard it was created in Hawaii and is a thai Afghan cross , like so many other old elite strains the truth is lost in the past.

7 Likes

i recently saw a post on direwolf.og’s instagram about using mighty mite hybrids in the past and the son of the original grower came on and gave a back story, DireWolfCollective (@direwolf_collective) • Instagram profile

his post:
Part 1
This is the origin story of MightyMite as I know it.

My father was an original old-time Lasqueti Island grower who cultivated cannabis before sensimilla was a thing. At some point, the Californians came up and showed those on the Island how to determine the sex of the plants and trim the flowers. After this, they were able to start to actually make some money growing.

Seeds were brought up from Washington state by dad’s friend’s brother. They called these new genetics “Larry”. My dad cultivated and bred these “Larry’s” for years and one year he won the island harvest bud festival with the “Larry”. There were no clones at this time. Time warp came much later and changed the OD game forever toward consistent commercial production, but that’s another story.

My father noticed that about 10% of these Larry’s would flower right away into little 4-8 inch bud sticks. He and his friends thought that these were quite interesting and unique, and they started breeding them back into each other. My dad’s wife called them “MightyMite” after a cartoon mouse.

They bred these little plants for years, eventually getting them so that about 20% would flower and finish at 4-8” by the middle of July. Another 60% would finish at about 12-24” bushes by mid August. The rest would be full-term “Larry’s” and finish at the end of September.

My father never really commercially grew MM because he said it was too much trouble to sex out the males for how many plants one needed to grow for production. By this time the TW clone was dominating every year in its full glory. So my dad ended up giving away MM seeds to whoever wanted them.

When I came back to the island as a 19 year old youth a bit lost and wondering what to do, my dad said that I could have one of his old bluff spots that had been busted a few years before. He gave me the MM seeds to grow and said “hopefully you’ll get something off the bluff before the helicopters show up.”
part 2

I planted 25 7-gallon buckets with about 8 MM seedlings. I diligently sexed them as they started to show. Growing was magic! These little plants flowered beautifully. I harvested them as they matured, from July to September, under my dad’s tutelage. I trimmed them and dried them in a paper bag in the sun. I grew 6.5 lbs and sold all for 3200 per lb. My bro walked down our trail with cash in hand and helped me weigh it and bag it before taking it.

After that I was hooked on growing this magical plant.

I do remember that it was hard to find all the males in the MM because the plants could sometimes be so small that they would escape detection underneath another larger plant. So there would be some minor and not so minor seeding that would happen. No one cared back then about a few seeds, so it ended up that MM seeds got out into the world through the buds as they were sold.

I made contact with kootenaycraftcannabis_ the son of the person who first introduced mighty mite to the scene in the 80’s.
So I contacted him and asked if I could buy some of his original seeds off of him. Much to my surprise, he agreed! And he was very generous, after I offered to buy them, he said he would send me some for free!

This was with the caveat that the seeds are of a later generation and he was not really happy with them anymore. They also do not have much resemblance to the old mighty mite in his words and one would need to sift through it to find the classic mighty mite people remember and isolate it.

I plan to send him more messages to ask what he means about the lack of resemblance and get his advice for spotting classic mm representations.

I don’t know if I have the space to run more than 10 plants or so this summer and a seedrun is not too high on my priorities. This summer will be the year of the rosin for me.

I can hold them till next year and do a run, or I could pass them on to a member with more room and inclination, in exchange for some of the new beans of a more isolated classic mm pheno.

23 Likes

Hey @jessethestoner, in my best Obi-Wan Kanobi voice, “This is not the thread you are looking for.” Lol.

Seriously though, good luck finding a grower bud.

9 Likes

Very cool! I dont have space but would love for this project to come to fruition. I saw that same post from direwolf and it piqued my curiousity. I love hearing about these national treasures and pieces of history :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s pretty interesting! “Larry” is another name for the original OG Kush, or similar cut, held by a dude name Larry. Hence the moniker. Sounds like og kush beans got sent up and worked. Found an auto line in there and ran with it :thinking:

6 Likes

It’s a shame that we don’t know more about these strains outside of regional nicknames. Larry was a more common name in the 80s and early 90s i think. I do not know if there is a connection because OG was a southern California thing at first and the BC scene wasn’t connected to them but to the PNW growers and groups around there. but it would be very cool if there was a connection there that’s not discussed among forums and such. Which no doubt is the case, I know the hell’s angels and other gangs like that were so much more involved in the PNW than is ever really reported. We used to trust the angels had the best weed on the commercial market when we were younger

Larry OG is a Cali Connection strain isn’t it? a cross of og kush (who knows which one) and sfv og kush I believe. we would need one of the og historians on here to come on and say more about it, I don’t know where it stands amongst other og’s in chronology or effect.

What we know about the smells/flavours of mighty mite in comparison to og kush doesn’t really match up, and the difference in potency seems pretty big. If it is all a descendent of various Northern lights lines as some hypothesize, then there is a connection.

4 Likes

Got the seeds today. Still looking for someone who could grow out a good number for the seed coop.

18 Likes