Looking for recommendations for threads about breeding

After binge-reading the Frankie’s Daughters: Unpacking a Frozen Genome thread, I’m itching for some other good recommendations. I’m very interested in learning more about breeding, pollen chucking, etc. I have a copy of Marijuana Botany and it’s great, but I’d love to find some awesome threads to dig into.

Any greatest hits that I can’t miss? I’ve got about 20 different breeding/genetics questions that pop into my head throughout each day. Rather than clogging the forum up with a new thread for each wild thought, I was hoping some more reading might scratch those itches. :laughing:

11 Likes

I did a seed run here. You can flip through if it helps at all.

4 Likes

Go ahead and put your 20 questions here. There are a lot of people making seeds on here, everywhere from random chucks to making plans with specific goals and testing.

9 Likes

You can take a look through the co-op section, all sorts of great threads there.

10 Likes

If youre looking for breeding discussion rather than journals, I gathered some of my bookmarks with threads discussing breeding specifically. Hope they help.

Btw (Not sure how familiar you are with the OG forum format, but a good tip is to also check the links and threads attached/linked on the first post of each thread, they will lead you to even more info)

Hopefully also, after your research, you will share your findings here.

16 Likes

oh man good luck choosing a thread to start with there are so many good chucker’s/breeders here. lol

Probably benefit you to ask specific questions here and let people trickle in to answer your questions.

3 Likes

I’ll dig in. Thanks for the invite!

Thanks. I might start doing that. I’m a bit apprehensive to ask some of them “out loud”, so I was hoping to stumble upon some of the info in the wild. :laughing:

Thanks for the tip!

Holy crap. This is awesome. Thanks for this.

Thanks. I’ll start doing that.

8 Likes

I think you have found the right place. :grin:

1 Like

@Magu I think you’re right. :laughing:

1 Like

Thing is this is sprinkled a bit everywhere, like pollen almost :smiley:

Apart from the one already listed, the top results of searching for ‘breeding’ in the search bar are already good, this one had good discussions going on:

This one is old but helps to ask yourself some important logistical questions:

Good advices here too:

Also there’s that thread:

As said there are many people documenting their breeding here, I won’t name because I’d forget so many, but you’ll find your way identifying those you can suck the knowledge off :laughing:

8 Likes

You are in very good company here @Trimeresurus!

Read until your eyes fuzz out, then ponder and read some more!

If I have one piece of advice it would be to set a very clear goal for your breeding project before starting and let that guide your decisions!

Best of luck,
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:
PS, @ReikoX’s Workshops!

6 Likes

You can also find good videos on YouTube. I like to recommend this one because many of the traits like terps, potency and trichome production are polygenic traits and those are always in the mind of a cannabis breeder. So learning the basics of polygenic traits are a good first step into steering your cultivars into the right direction.

Pz :v:t2:

8 Likes

I think I’ll make this thread a depository for my dumb breeding/genetics questions moving forward. :thinking: :laughing:

Here’s one… Does feminized breeding lend itself to “easier”, for lack of a better word, discoveries of great crosses? Since we can more readily spot the traits we’re looking for in both parents vs having to guess, or make assumptions with the male.

I realize that the answer is likely “no”, but I’ve been pondering this one a lot lately.

3 Likes

@Trimeresurus I personally think so yes. You can grow both mom’s at the same time as the children to really get a feel for how each plant will behave when breeding. This type of visual learning is very intuitive to us humans and I think that if this is something you are thinking of trying, no ones opinion should stop you from atleast try a couple of times.

3 Likes

It’s definitely on my list of projects I want to try. I have all the ingredients for sts and a couple of ideas to pursue.

I appreciate your input.

1 Like

Sounds like a perfect plan. When you start to get the idea of reversing, it’s pretty much the same hassle as using males. My best tip in the beginning is to reverse multiple cuts of the mother you want pollen from. That way, if one fails you will be able to proceed as planned, and you get more pollen that you can save in the freezer, or share.

1 Like

It’s a little like easy mode, and there are some moms out there and I swear you could cross to just about anything and make nice plants. I also grow out volumes more girls than boys, as do most people that have a good stable, I suspect.

2 Likes

I appreciate the tip. That makes a lot of sense.

That’s interesting. Thanks for the information!

2 Likes