Lophophora's Peyote

@PetalPowerseed, Seeds usually start out like this:

When the fruit is dried out I collect and empty the pods. Go figure I’ve never bothered to take pictures of seeds or harvested fruits. The seeds are small and black like poppy seeds, and sometimes sticky depending on how much the fruit has dried.

Next I salvage a shallow dish or container and fill it with dry dirt, then meticulously smooth out the surface of the dirt. Once those seeds fall they are impossible to find again. Then I line the seeds up at the edge of a table and slide them one by one into the container I’m holding below, making it much easier to approximate a grid pattern with the seeds. A moistened toothpick also works wonderfully for putting seeds where you want them. With the seeds planted I mist them with a spray bottle until they are soaked, very gently as not to blast them into the surface of the dirt.

Finally I seal the top over with some plastic kitchen wrap, no airholes necessary, and leave them on a windowsill for a few months to a year. Putting the pot in a clear plastic bag tied at the top works well too. Really soak them with the spray bottle though, you don’t want to have to water your plants every month.

It’s a good idea to leave a bit of lip around the container because you don’t want the seedlings to press against condensation that can build up on the plastic wrap, and because you never know when you might need to stack containers on top of eachother without crushing all your babies.

I have lately been trying to get the seeds to plant themselves , as they would naturally in the wild. Lophophora williamsii will often self-pollenate without outside intervention, and the dried fruits fall to the dirt as the cacti grows. I’ve spent years watching seed pods collect on the dirt but have yet to see the magic happen.

Rockstar used to have “Rockstar Recovery” drinks containing Opuntia, though I doubt an energy drink is beneficial to a hangover. The cactus pads are delicious when fried, and also where prickly pears come from.

39 Likes

So cool thanks for the info

2 Likes

Absolutelyv amazing. Thank you for the write up

2 Likes

It cool looking. I’m impressed

2 Likes

I have a few cactus that I acquired as cuttings through ebay, but couldn’t pulled the trigger on the few lophophora that were posted. Mainly due to cost and not wanting to get scammed. Awesome collection you have. I also have some seed…san pedro mostly, but yet to try and germ them. Thanks for posting this!

3 Likes

Some recent auto germination attempts. These things do grow naturally in the wild, it’s only a matter of time before I witness such an event.

28 Likes

Simply fascinating. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

2015 was a great year for photography especially with this virile beast putting on a show from April through November… Not only did this cactus flower to the point of having seeds matted into it’s tufts, it also bloomed from the areoles just above the soil line. This specimen was one of the sixteen germinated and raised in the plastic kitchen container from my earlier germination post.

As I look back it seems I have been working on the all natural germination technique longer than I realized- If anything that must mean I’m closer to the goal than ever. The next step is probably going to be towards rackable garden beds. In my mind the larger surface area and crowding will offer a better environment for fallen seeds. Larger beds would also eliminate the need to find a hundred pots that sit together nicely on a shelf, as well as save me hundreds of repottings.

One of these cacti might not be like the others, I’ve got some identical twins in orange pots.

25 Likes

Years of staring intently at little green dots has blessed me with the fruits of labour. Once again I can go back to staring at little green dots.

Here are yesterday’s top photos which I meant to post yesterday. It’s amazing for such a slow growing cactus, moments such as these come and go in an instant.

30 Likes

Here’s a few photos that were left over on the SD card of a former camera. You may notice that I’ve posted photos of one or two of these cacti already, I hope they won’t bore you. Don’t worry, there are plenty more cacti to be seen.

42 Likes

Aww man, I’m trapped on no-likes island for the next 4 hours :disappointed_relieved:

Beautiful photos man, some nice work :grin:

3 Likes

Here’s another picture of another flowering peyote. The cactus is also sporting a fruit from a recent germination. You may have seen something like this before. It might seem kind of pedestrian, and yet I still took dozens of nearly identical photos.

I waited years to see this cactus flower and it was only in bloom for three days. This is true for most of my photos really.

The cactus pictured is a Lophophora williamsii, identified by the nice whitish-pinkish flower and lazy ribs. This is further evidenced by the ability to self-pollenate. I know this cactus was self pollenated because I was the one who tickled the the flower with a little paintbrush in the middle of the night resulting in that fruit.

I suppose the taxinomy is no surprise as I am the one who planted that cactus, the seed being from another Lophophora williamsii in my collection.

Identification is not always such an easy task. This next cactus from the collection also grown from seed has yet to be identified. The pallid complextion and extruded ribs differentiate this cactus from most of collection but these are not definitive indicators of species, especially in such a widely debated genus as Lophophora. To make identification more difficult these characteristics do not appear to be shared by the pups, which appear more dark, more flat, and with a pink sunburn where the pup protrudes from the mother.

A real aid in identification would be a picture of the cactus in flower. I’ve watched this cactus for nearly a decade. Every time this cactus blooms it does so in secret, the flowers hidden within it’s tufts. The moment gone just as suddenly as it had occurred. This has gone on for years. I’m still waiting.

31 Likes

Beautiful :heart_eyes: I’m fascinated, intrigued, captivated and mesmerized, all at the same time.

3 Likes

Do you use grow lights?

I found a seed and plant source in Canada, apparently totally legal, as long as it isn’t consumed

4 Likes

Yessir, the legality in Canada is outlined in the first post :wink:. Consumption is perfectly legal, protected by the Native American Church/religious ceremony (baffling if you ask me, as peyote isn’t exactly native to Canada). Any attempt to extract the alkaloids within you are all of a sudden in violation of the law pretty much internationally- but at that point it’s not really about the plant anymore.

I have used two T12 40W fluorescent tubes for over a decade, along with sunlight. It’s only in the last year and a half that I’ve been experimenting with LED. Seems like they work so far, but I won’t have a satisfactory answer for another few seasons.

13 Likes

Thanks for the info. I think I may try to grow some amongst my cannabis

1 Like

TIL that baby cacti’s are called “pups”. Fascinating stuff!

2 Likes

Where is the best place.to.order? And are Peruvian torch Bolivian torch etc…legal to.ship?

2 Likes

I’m not here to question your intentions, but it depends on what you want.

You can pick up Trichocereus cacti (I think they are named Echinopsis now, but I’m not a botanist) at a local garden centre, they’re common enough an inquiry is not going to elicit any questionable stares or suspicion. Shipping should not pose any problems either but depending on your locality you might have to deal with phytosanitary certification or lose them to customs.

Trichocereus are a pain to keep and grow, Peruvian torch especially as they seem to have double the density of spines. I say this having grown many of them from seed.

Do you enjoy donning leather gloves and having to roll your plants in multiple sheets of newsprint for handling during transplants or grafts? Do you like manouvering top-heavy, spike laden, tipping-prone plants in the garden every time you want to water or observe your plants? Do you enjoy struggling with canopy and light heights to avoid etoliation and ensure even lighting in your garden area?

Are you looking for grafting stock? Buy a blue myrtle (Myrtillocactus Geometrizans). They are prettier, easier to graft, and have minimal spines. Mature specimens have only a small single black spine and can be comfortably handled without special precaution.

For those less interested in horticulture some vendors sell sacks of pre-ground cactus powder, undoubtedly chock full of ground up cactus spines along with anything else that might grace a clandestine enthogen processing facility. It would be more prudent to buy a blender on the way home from a garden centre.

As for vendors I cannot provide any specific recommendation. The prices I’ve seen from most cactus peddlers are enough to make me sick. These cacti are endangered and somebody wants to charge $300 for a 1" cactus, along with the exact geographic coordinates from which the wild specimen was poached? Speaking of course about peyote, as columnar cacti can be easily obtained from greenhouses which are not morally bankrupt.

There are legitimate greenhouses that do deal in seeds, but given the legality of peyote you need to look outside of North America. Pretty sure the dutch are cool with it.

Seems like just yesterday that I got started buying 10 seeds for $30 with a personal cheque through the mail.

20 Likes

Love this thread. Thank you for sharing!
Would love to get ahold of some seeds. I was given a button once and successfully grafted it to a T. bridgesii but my Rottweiler pup ate it.
He turned into an epic dog, so no regrets😁

5 Likes