Loud (road-kill) skunk

I do know Road Kill Was not a bred strain , most of our strains today have a skunk profile , there just masked by other terpenes , Some Afghani’s were the classic “Road Kill” smell , Also our plants are not grown the same way they are today , pre med it was a lot of guerrilla grows , pactches in most native soil , not manny amedments add’s , wich i think expressed the Thiols more ,
Road kill closer you got to the buds they started smelling more like sour acrid burnt coffee grounds
than skunk , it was more a nose thing , skunks RK flavors were not loud. more of subdued like NL’s kinda , “Most” West Coast skunks seem to have more stalky indica type plants 6 to 7 feet no support needed uniform growth Afghanica / WLD types , Where it “seems” like Mid west and East coast skunks have more a Hybrid sativa leaning type leaf. WLD/NLD type
i have the original Skunk#1 pre amsterdam , There is NO skunk what so ever in it… Rob C told me that Sam and Him bred the skunk profile out before releasing the seeds…
SSSC had a Skunk that was Afghani x Colombian X Thai , That would be different from Sam’s creation , might be somethin with it , Super Skunk was made from SSSC seed stock

5 Likes

Nice

I have some of those original seeds gifted to me by o e of nevils best friends and colleagues

I do beleive there may have been thai is the rks tbh.

The large seeds / buds and that unique dankness.

mm

2 Likes

Some pollinated skunky chunks. The property is starting to really smell loud.

Gotta say the skunk18 came thru really nice with the 81 skunk cross. Alot of them have

mm

11 Likes

Check out the swollen calyxes on this island pink

mm

9 Likes

Heres a couple very fast pure peru and Have a very “skunk” expression as far as the skunk 1 is concerned. They are 50% faster then the rest. Gotta love landraces

Seeds are almost ripe from the 81 rks.

Very very pungent.

mm

11 Likes

So I smoked the runt (dried up to 2 grams lol)

Considering everyone’s info. I do beleive the first skunks were hindu kush afghani hashplants (possible Pakistan too)

With how loud and skunky the colombian runt was and how the jungle down stream at night it was.

That it is quite possible that “skunk” was sought after becuase of demand from people growing from seed. And when the 80s came around skunky hybrids and landraces were selected for clone production.

I just grabbed this runt bud today after 1 sweat cycle and my whole office smelled loke a dead skunk. I could only finish half a 1 gram joint and the taste and effect and expansion were all there.

Can’t wait to see the cross with the 81 rks ghani.

I’m truely hoping that both skunks match and come thru in the cross.

mm

7 Likes

Back before I had heard of things called gassy or fuel I just called things skunky. Pink always had that “fuel” smell which I used to call skunky up until about 10-15 years ago. Proper pink always stunk the place out just like an og kush with subtle cream soda/ floral back end

2 Likes

If you note the differences in traditional Cannabis vs today’s polylbgt crap. Might be a clue about skunk.

You have masculine (aliphatic) and feminine (aromatic) energy in the plant. Aliphatic as in “derived from fat/protein”. Aromatic as in “derived from flowers”. The perfumery business has always been linked to sexuality. In times when women were banished from camp during their period. The distinction between male and female aroma has always been an issue on the table, until fairly recently. Men never knew what women naturally smelled like for thousands of years because body odor (carboxylic acids and thiols) is masculine. Thank God the flavor industry isn’t operated by the perfume industry though. Well in Cannabis it is. Vape pens… very… feminine scented… But sugar free flavorless nostril burning with placebo effect. Thank God a bag of Skittles tastes like sugars and acids instead of like Skittles vape terps. I dream of a day I can buy weed like I buy candy. No bullshit just like the product you expect.

Does anyone remember when males were shorter? Today’s males are taller than their females. Does anyone correlate leaf count with masculine/feminine energy? Anyone notice their flower room less skunky after culling males?

Skunk (3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol) is a male trait. Skunk was a intersex strain that expressed multiple copies of the same male aroma instead of expressing male sex organs.

On top of butane associated skunk , we have hexane derived skunk. When’s the first time you smelled hexanals. 2011 for me. The hay phenomenon is relatively new. Berner and Snoop will tell you we were smoking hay 25 years ago. Never once smelled it. The hay smell is directly linked to hexanethiol. It almost seems like people have steered away from the skunk est genetics to avoid bad cure. We all know what cookies smells like when fucked at harvest: a bakery! Not hexanals!

Pink Kush smelled like steamed vegatables when I was in Canada. Those are thiols but not related to skunk. Which seems to be a major problem with cannabis, that the less evolved noses can only detect functional groups and pretend to understand. I don’t think people who can’t distinguish nail polish remover from banana will be breeding cannabis moving forward. I don’t want to buy Banana OG and be hit with nail polish terps. I don’t want to walk into a store buy skunk and walk out with rubber vegatables. No one who earns money to blow on weed does. It’s a very smell minority who will walk out with literally anything and call it Skunk.

2 Likes

Don’t break up your banana OG with your freshly polished manicured fingernails then.

6 Likes

" Which seems to be a major problem with cannabis, that the less evolved noses can only detect functional groups and pretend to understand."
A lot of our strains today have skunk there masked by whole bunch of other terpene profiles … And all depends on what you think a skunk actually smells like …
And skunk “weed” didnt smell as skunky the closer you got face to it
take some OG over to somebody’s house that doesnt smoke. , bet 100% they says smell like a skunk in the house …

7 Likes

Pop culture has always swayed branding and popularity.

Skunk def was sour. Citrus. Fuel. Sulphur etc.

The power of words and confirmation bias can also direct and detect nuances we may have never noticed before.

mm

1 Like

no sour no citrus
No breeder can name something he made Roadkill . And if a breeder does end up with the streets will name it Roadkill ,
thats maybe the biggest claim there is …

1 Like

This is interesting @Mithridate was talking about this

1 Like

I love how this thread goes from the pursuit of a lost treasure to “weed smells skunky to those who don’t smoke weed.”

I mean this with no sarcasm. I am in both camps, the ebb and flow of conversation is just kind of funny.

2 Likes

Yeah and 1/140 was male :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:

Becuase I may not have seeds of some phenos till Nov.

I took these close ups of the pure peru aka untouched colombian gold for ya.

Came from 2 faster finishers

10/10 pungency. Hoping the 81 adds a double dank

I always loved the tall standing trichomes on rks. Not only did it give the flowers and extra frosted look. But left a sugar coating on the baggies

mm

7 Likes

My wife doesnt t smoke and tells me what cultivars I have are skunky and aren’t all the time and it’s alwYs the ones I refer to as gassy with burnt rubber smells. She’s a wine sommelier and her nose is pretty spot on.

10 Likes

That is awesome. There’s a “smell” database in Berkeley i’ve been thinking of checking out because then if my brain smells it at least 1 time, it should increase my registry and recollection. Some people are definitely more sensitive or have a wider range of smells to touch upon in their brains.

1 Like

Some more seed bracts on swole

mm

13 Likes

mm

1 Like