Delays in mail delivery: your reports đź“­

Continuing the discussion from Delay in mail and best practices for trading:

Today I received a pkg from @misterbee that had been mailed to me from Maine on Jan 11 - I live in Michigan and today is Feb 13. That is 33 days to make it a little over 1,000 miles. If anyone doubts the fact that there are serious mail delays right now they are delusional.

21 Likes

I hope all arrived in relatively decent condition. If not, holler and we’ll “run it back”. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes: BTW: there always seems to be a “black hole” in the Detroit USPS Operation!!!

12 Likes

I sent a letter from Canada to the southern states in half that time. I guess it all depends. Not sure on what though. :thinking:

6 Likes

Had an ebay order first class envelope. From Virginia on January 9 to New England February 4. Tracking had it sitting at its second stop in Virginia from January 11… tracking updated the day of delivery ( political insult removed)

3 Likes

Probably better not bring up any politicians on OG . Just saying. :shushing_face:

4 Likes

Right now it seems it really depends where they end up being distributed from or routed through. Some facilities seemed to be bottle necked while others are flowing about normal. In the past month, I’ve gotten regular snail mail within a week, but also have ones that took 3. Priority mail have arrived a day earlier than their track originally said.

3 Likes

I spoke with our local Post Office, the Clerk said they have a “liberal off sick” policy due to Covid. He further admitted a lot of personnel were just NOT showing up, no repercussions. Extended delays everywhere. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Running about half speed or slower for me. Package from India took 30+ days. It was supposed to take 12-14. I sent mail to Virginia last Tuesday, and it hasn’t arrived yet. Sent a package to Spain and it arrived on time. If you really want a package to show up in a reasonable amount of time you have to use priority mail right now. Any other way and you’re taking your chances. Really, you’re Taking Chances with priority mail at this point. It’s torture having a tracking number and seeing something sit in the same place for a month or more. It really is hit or miss lately.

4 Likes

I feel that those with tracking is taking more Time to arrive then those you send stealth with a stamp only… I just sent a package “stealth” 11days ago from :sweden: to :canada: and it arrived… while the others with tracking are still a no show

4 Likes

The package ive been watching not moving since jan 20th has now traveled back to the UK and is again on its way back to Canada… wtf

2 Likes

Yes there is. All the postal carriers call it “the place where packages go to die” I hate when my mail gets routed thru there instead of Pontiac.

3 Likes

I read an article the other day that said they’re running about 30% on time 1st class mail. It also said it’s about to get worse. No more priority mail and something about tracking. I’ll see if I can find it. It’s definitely not a myth.

2 Likes

I am waiting for a tracked package to replace a lost one. It went from arriving on time 1/9 to arriving late, 1/10 sitting in CA. Now it just tells me it isn’t a valid tracking number???

I paid for a package since June 2020- coming from Africa to US and nothing to report at this point. Not sure what happened or if the guy even sent it???

I had one 12/'19 sit in Detroit for a couple weeks and my local Postmaster personally call them to look for it. It was setting outside scanned and forgotten. I got notices for a year saying they hadn’t located it. Even thought it was scanned at my PO and at delivery???

3 Likes

Here’s just one article. Postal delays

If you google postal delays, or something similar you get a picture. Stories are the same all over. Covid created online shopping that hasn’t stopped since March. And it caused around 13,000 workers to be off sick.

2 Likes

It seems to me the article is contradictory. It state e-commerce cut into income but, doesn’t e-commerce should be a boom in $$ coming into PO. That and some other points don’t ring true. A good point is the PO was the first service set by Government and is still a service, not a for profit business.

5 Likes

The post office makes its money through postage, they get zero money from the government.

Mail traffic is up 45+% since April of last year due to covid. The post office I work at just had covid come through, again, and this time it took 20+ people out of commission for at least two weeks, there are others still out sick w/covid or other illness.

This is the new normal. The mail is moving as fast as possible, believe it or not.

My package from California took 3 days to reach my house. It’s taken up to two weeks in the last few months. It’ll get to you eventually.

6 Likes

Don’t expect anything tomorrow, Presidents Day.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, I was about to check my informed delivery.

1 Like