Making sativa dominant Auto flower beans at home ( regular)

Here’s what I’m trying - I think it would work really well sometimes and not so well sometimes:

Get pack of feminized seeds, plant one. Also plant six or seven auto regular seeds in a large pot. When the regulars show sex, kill the females.

With the seeds from that pairing, plant another bunch in a large pot and breed with the next seed from the pack.

After doing this three times, you’ll have a regular strain that’s 87% of the original feminized strain. Four times gets you to 93%, and so on.

After that you’ll probably have to do selection to bring it to a true IBL.

Anyway that’s what I’m trying. I just popped the F2 generation this week.

1 Like

Yeah you could get pretty close but never back 100% to the original strain for the sake of argument.
I love genes and breeding cannabis. By my 3rd indoor grow 15+ years ago I was pollen chucking.
A filthy dirty pollen chucker…

2 Likes

Obviously not. It would be something like this:

mendellian

…but the closer you get to 100%, the more likely that deleterious recessive genes will ruin what you’re breeding.

2 Likes

I think the autoflower nature will also help with the inbreeding issues, because as long as you’re breeding back to a new seed from the original packet, it will have at least slightly different genetics.

With photoperiod plants you can choose to breed back to the actual original first plant, but autos can’t do that for long.

I’ve managed one cross of progeny back to the original autoflower. With one of the auto strains that continues pistil production rather than senescing, focusing only on seed production, starting by fertilizing the preflowers, careful pruning with no fan leaf defoliation, and if I limited seed production numbers to maybe a dozen, and used cooler temperatures to slow down the plant in between seed sets, I’m pretty confident I could get 3 back crosses to the same exact autoflower. More would be very iffy.

I’m unlikely to do it though - by the time I’ve realized a particular plant is epic, it’s much too late to orchestrate that kind of plan. The single bx I did was decided late in the game, and with the plants to try it on only one Pine pulled through. I’ve noticed that the pineapple line I like will throw pistils and new growth for me for months beyond harvest. In contrast, some autos I’ve grown completely refused to produce new pistils and make seeds, even after a completely unpollinated life and 3/4 harvest of their buds. Those have been few, but also ridiculously frost-covered and potent.

I’m also unlikely to try a many times bx because my own breeding goal is toward genetic diversity. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diversity is key. Thats why i’m choosing to “back cross” using differnt auto haze’s. I know thats not a real BX hence the quotation marks.
Really im just having fun and making hundred of beans to give away

3 Likes

Im second guessing myself getting the critical neville. As apposed to neville ryder itself Maybe it’s a happy mistake.Depends on what my goal is.
Is haze specifically more important than just sativa?
If I want to focus more on authenticity of sativa (which it will never truly have) or try and tame it a bit and get a (slightly short flower time/ larger yield.)

I have too much time on my hands ATM. Allowing 15 weeks for each cross I should be 3rd gen by july22.

Waiting for the seeds to show up is agonizing. I haven’t felt like this since 2008 when it come to growing.
It’s insane how much we obsess over a few magic beans. Gonna spend the next year cooking up some genes and will i care the year after? Will they sit in a drawer for a decade? Am I contributing to the community or am I dirty pollen chucker? All I know is this shit captivates me…

I wanted to cook up some beans for the most sativa- haze forward strain possible. As time went on realized my goal was more oriented towards making a robin-hoodesk breeding stock for pollen chucking new autos only sold as fems.I have settled somewhere in the middle leaning “haze” heavy but making sacrifices to increase yield and potency.
After months of scouring seed banks and forums for the available gene pool. Top Tao Auto Haze passed some self imposed criteria for male breeding stock.
This special “sativa” forward autoflower was developed independently of LR1 which aids in minimizing undesirable genes within the lineage. A large central cola and limited side branching help to curb some “superauto” genes mixed into future generations. The mother Critical Nevilles haze introduces a winning haze profile that has been buffed up with Critical bilbo to continue the balance of the average growers needs.

This f1 hybrid will be known as (™Auto hazeG1) is then crossed with Skywalker OG haze auto One of the highest known thc autos on the market Containing Amnesia Haze genes. This hybrid ( ™Auto haze) will then be stabilized to itself or serve as a an amazing breeding stock to use on future generations that can easily be swayed Sativa or indica depending on wants.
To continue the Haze lineage it will be crossed with Santa marta haze Auto,Which will enhance the Amnesia aspect as-well as bring in new haze ancestry to the line creating (Triple™ AutoHaze)
For more potent lines, Banana daddy IBL auto couldn’t be more fitting when the sole purpose of the hybrid is for stud hunting. (public breedingstock)- High THC XL auto genes.
™Auto haze will also be breed to tao x ducksfoot (psyduck)

6 Likes