Making Silver Nanoparticles from Silver Nitrate and reversing females

This thread might die in the crib, because I’ve not found evidence of anyone successfully reversing a female using silver nanoparticles, but I can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t work. On the contrary, I’ve heard some large breeder talking about having nano-silver available for sale, soon, in some FCP video. It would not surprise me if this was their method of production.

It turns out an aqueous solution of silver nitrate can be reduced using the naturally occurring acids in fricken everything. Not even joking, the plants that successfully produced Silver Nanoparticles is including, but not limited to:
Carrots
Neem
Wild Leeks
Garlic
Aloe
Eucalyptus
Cannabis Xylem alone, and Leaves, alone, but not Cortex by itself.
Young Pinecones
The leaves of the houseplant Purpleheart
Banana Peels…
Orange Peels!
A literal. Cup. Of coffee!

This dude WhiteBuffalo (?) on IG posted an image that got my interest piqued, and I’ve read about three dozen papers now.
Crazy how many exist on the subject, starting at least as far back as 2012. We’ve all been lacking. :joy:

So far there are (at least) five papers that I think you should read if you want to try this yourself.
Umadevi, Mahalingam & Shalini, S & Bindhu, M. (2012). Synthesis of silver nanoparticle using D. carota extract. Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 3. 10.1088/2043-6262/3/2/025008.
The first paper went with 170g fresh, plain ol’ carrot root, blended with 100g water
Extracted by simple room-temp filtration.
Combined in two different low concentrations, (4ml extract in 30ml .5mM AgNO3(aq) // and 5ml extract in 30ml .5mM AgNO3(aq)) the ascorbic acid in the carrot extract successfully reduced the silver nitrate to silver nanoparticles.
The author notes the concentrations should likely be increased.

Jalilian, et al. (2020). Green synthesized silver nanoparticle from Allium ampeloprasum aqueous extract: Characterization, antioxidant activities, antibacterial and cytotoxicity effects. Advanced Powder Technology. 31. 10.1016/j.apt.2020.01.011.
This second paper takes an entirely different route.
Instead of fresh carrot juice, 10g of Dried leaves of Wild Leek were boiled for 15minutes.
10ml extract were added to 90ml of 1mM AgNO3(aq)
This solution was left in the sunlight. In >100F (36C) heat.
On top of a mountain in Iran, for all that extra UV-goodness.
Then “centrifugated;” :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :sweat_smile: washed with DI water, three times; and freeze-dried.
Yield was only 42% which I assume is theoretical, based on the initial weight of the silver nitrate.

Singh, et al. (2018). Green synthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles from Cannabis sativa (industrial hemp) and their capacity for biofilm inhibition. International journal of nanomedicine , 13 , 3571–3591. https://doi.org/10.2147/IJN.S157958

(Will update this momentarily.(man I say that a lot.))

6 Likes

what are the benefits of this method over sts. and cs??

1 Like

The hope of this thread is to figure out exactly the answer to that question.

At this point it would be pure arrogance for me to suggest there IS a benefit over using STS. My line of thought, tho, is that nano-particles tend to have an easier time crossing cell barriers. (And no offense to anyone, but that other thread suggesting you inject AgNO3 directly into the stem is just an excuse for people who are already buying syringes.)

CS on the other hand has way too many variables — time, temperature, water quality, specific voltage x amperage — so in my opinion it is completely unreasonable to believe the CS tek can be standardized. Add to that the results are completely unverifiable without spraying a plant and waiting.

The papers above, amongst many others, have already established the procedure to reduce silver nitrate to silver-nanoparticles and verified the results. Our only job is to figure out if and how those results can be used for our purposes.

The first plant I’ll be testing this on is a Kiona Vietnam Black 161 S1 x Snowhigh Vietnam Black IBL.

1 Like

The big benefit of this method over CS would be this method is self-verifying. The color change you see between these two pictures IS the silver reducing in size, and altering the way light is reflected.
Every single paper exhibits the same color change to a brick-red upon reduction.

2 Likes

h202 and overly produced dark CS does the same just for reference and consider you probably have other things dropping out of suspension as well making the color change as well, and the injection thing yup i agree with your statement.

2 Likes

I had trouble with my last CS generator a few years back, where the color kept getting darker but the PPMs weren’t increasing — and it failed to reverse the female I used it on.

My thought was that the particle size was too large.

That H2O2 makes sense. I’ve heard bubbling oxygen increases CS quality.

1 Like

yeah the particle size does seem to become too large H202 breaks that down, also EC or ppm is kinda inconclusive ive found as it seems to get to a saturation point at least measurement wise which for me was always around that 40uS mark “20 ppm on a 500 scale”, actual PPM of silver in suspension though is different.

As for spraying CS yeah it can be temperamental, need healthy plants sprayed ideally on the underside and at the right time in their growth cycle and sprayed where it can dwell on the plant awhile, also certain things like surfactants or say alcohol to break down the waxiness of a leaf for uptake can provide a benefit also may not help in some situations as well.

Even me going to STS and silver nitrate sprays, is still not a 100% thing and still relies a bunch on plant cycle, health, spray times ect, just have found STS solutions are gentler on the plants in my limited experience.

1 Like

Yeah, that exactly matches my experience. I think I hit 16ppm and it stopped changing, even as the water continued darkening significantly.

Yo, I would add that MeanGene said he notices a significant difference in successful reversal based on the type of light. I think he said if HPS is 100% LEDs produce 60% as much pollen.

1 Like

just for reference heres a old post

5 Likes