Malted barley Soil amending

Gonna try the barley thing next time around though.

4 Likes

Any organic grows I have done has always had barley, aloe juice and coconut water included. They are all amazing additions

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to build my own soil.I need to find a good bagged vermicompost.I donā€™t think Iā€™m ready to commit to living with a 5 tier worm shit factory in my house yet.

4 Likes

I toss in a few handfuls of rough ground MB and a dash on top every time I transplant and never see any transplant shock. They love it.

Iā€™ve yet to burn my plants, but I also treat it like an ingredient in a meal, I try to make it present but not overdone.

Not an expert grower by any means, but I know Iā€™m tossing healthy amounts in with great results!

4 Likes

He says he gets it cracked not fine ground.Andy was talking about when he goes to the home brew store to get his barley he has to mill it with a machine there.Says the measurements on the machine is like 0.4 I think.Iā€™ve never milled barley in my life so I couldnā€™t tell you.I think Iā€™ll take coots word for it I could listen to that guy for days.Hightimes tried to sell us grow store piss in bottles and pop up grow stores that only made us reliant on the bottled piss.With douche bags like Kyle Kushman and Jorge Cervantes or should I say George Van Patten. Peddling half bro science half shit stolen from other growers.Donā€™t even get me started on the strawberry cough Kyle shit.He backtracked on that after getting called out on it.Now I just hope coots donā€™t try and catch that cash train with the gnarly barley he makes now.I hope he stays real.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking forward to using it.Iā€™m going to amend with vermicompost MB and some kelp meal thatā€™s it.Itā€™s the simplest way to make the soil I want without skimping out on my plants.Best part is the ingredients if you source green house supply companies are pound for pound in the dollar cheaper that that shit with the stupid cartoon in the bag.Just be self sufficient and make your own soil.You know what you put into it will determine the final means

2 Likes

I give him credit for calling the bullshit on cal mag.If you listen to where he gets and sources his materials itā€™s genius.The price you get the material at cost outweighs the argument of having to manually mix it all by a mile.

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty much what Iā€™m doing, but I threw some neem meal in.

Sounds like we listened to the same podcast. Iā€™m working a worm bin right now, but I didnā€™t have the vermicompost with neem as an input prior. Not a single bug now and I was having issues with fungus gnats for a minute.

Have you started fermenting your own KNF inputs yet? Why pay for growstore nutes when you can just pay for sugar instead!

2 Likes

NEVER EVER put seeds in FF!!! Youā€™ll burn 'em alive EVERY time. I would even be careful about putting seedling directly in FF. SS/BWā€¦mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I learned the hard way but on the positive note 3 of the seedlings out of 10 didnā€™t get one speck of burn on them and showed me who can take an over feeding.That was the saving factor for them I killed the other 7.trying to stratify my stock.

Itā€™s all in the planning stage now so havenā€™t made a move yet.Having hell with the gnats right now.had to rip out all my mulch and dry the top layer off.He said something about something called soap nut that makes an organic insecticide that dissolves the bug shells killing them.Dissapates in 38 hours totally organic.I want to make a soil tonic with this.Someone told me one part peroxide 4 parts water for a soil drench to kill the larve but I donā€™t want to kill my microbes.My one shot is working great and all I have to do is water the damn thing.

1 Like

I meant does Coot. I know you grind yours.

1 Like

Yes Coots grinds his just prior to use.

3 Likes

ive tried soap nuts or ritha i think theyre also called, wasnt the cure all i hoped, i may continue to use it in conjunction with other ipm for a sort of ā€œknock downā€ before my predator releasesā€¦ seems like a cleaner and healthier alternative to a lot of the modern ipm products

Wow! 15% quicker could be epic for Sativa lovers. That could knock 2 or 3 weeks off the flowering time!
Questionā€¦do i buy malted barley or i have to make it? The Landrace team says soaking old seeds in malted barley helps them germinate. Apparently it contains gibberellic acid. Not sure how much to use, or how you soak seeds in it thoughā€¦any thoughts? @ReikoXā€¦?

2 Likes

ANY place that sell Home Brewing Supplies will carry or order it for ya. It, indeed, is a good germination soaking supplement, SS/BWā€¦mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

How exactly do I do it for germination? There is a place nearby that sells brewing supplies. I may go down there todayā€¦

3 Likes

Morning folks!! Pardon, would there be other grains which could get close to what malted barley does? Not so easily available at a decent price around hereā€¦ thanks! :pray:

1 Like

Coots has a product called Gnarley Barly on his soil builder sight you might want to check out.It has corn and some sort of malted lentil bean he swapped out for the hemp Seeds he had in there.

2 Likes

Any malted grain will work. Coots tested several different varieties, rye, corn, barleyā€¦ they all work.

4 Likes