Marijuana being 3x potent than in 1980's

When I started smoking back in the late 60’s the only thing out there was Mexican. $15 a bag, usually an ounce. LB’s were $125-150. We could drive down to Texas and pick it up for $100 an LB in qty’s of 25 lbs or more. Then we started getting Thai stick and Vietnamese. The Thai was the first time I got visuals on pot. First time I got Acapulco Gold it was a whopping $20 a bag. After that happened it wasn’t long until Columbian came around and it was a whopping $35 a bag. I guess it’s all relative. I stuck some seeds in the ground once and after smoking it for a while tested the highest anyone had tested at the time where I lived. That was in 86.

Bottom line is almost every cannabis I’ve had has done what I wanted it to do. Some better than others, but if I had it I smoked it. My best friend and I went through a bag a day in High School. Now all I need is a couple hits a couple times a day and I’m good. I don’t know if it is better but I sure do get it to last a lot longer these days.

5 Likes

Who or how did you have that batch tested in 1986…eloborate please…

2 Likes

I meant that I had myself drug tested for a job and they told me I had the “highest” level in my system that they had ever seen. The only way I knew to test it back then, other than the drug test, was to smoke it.

6 Likes

:joy: welcome to Overgrow @SkyDog. That’s a funny addition to your test. Clever.

3 Likes

I’d take 3,10,15, 21 and a few others still today!

I’m sure the 4% they were getting back then wasn’t the cream of the crop that was around. Prob some terrible brick. But… I do believe cannabinoid %s have gone up significantly in the last 30-40years. Even 10 years ago… thats what selective breeding for high THC does. That being said, everything is relative and I’ve gotten more effect from a 19% than I have from a 25% before.

6 Likes

If you were able to get good pot in the 70’s it was more potent than today’s pampered indoor grown hybrids IMO.

3 Likes

Im getting marijuana tested them at 50% thc for potency as opposed to 80’s or 90’s.

3 Likes

Just FWIW, In the 70’s, we didn’t have a lot of choices. You got what you could get. No one I dealt with had more than one variety most of the time. Today, I have many choices. Still, some is better, IMHO, and some is just OK, depending on what kind of buzz you are looking for.

In addition, we had tuinal, nembutal, phenobarbital, secobarbital, amobarbital, placidyl, quaaludes, orange sunshine, window pane, psilocybin, peyote and a host of other wonderful mind altering substances, instead of some concoction of Sudafed and poison. Oh, the good old days…

8 Likes

What? You don’t like sipping codeine until you can’t breath or remember anything?

6 Likes

know the breeders can get the other good parts high has possible like cbd.

1 Like

lmmfao on shunning green weed. I got my smoke from immigrants – Lebanese, Pakistan, Jamaica, Trinidad, Panama, Ghana, Nigeria, Belize, south africa, southeast asia, Somalia, Cuba, Dominican republic … nobody sold green weed except white boys and it was full of chemicals. I laughed then but 40+ years later and they are still not wrong about American weed :sob:

If I want anything except polyhybrids it must be personally grown.

5 Likes

I can’t even count how many times a brown guy who was used to smoking seedy/stemmy cess weed has accused me of putting crack in my weed. :laughing:

8 Likes

Haha seriously :rofl: mine was from a white guy who’s so used to lows and glorified oregano that he accused me of laced weed :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Nope, just really good and grown well. You think I’d touch hard drugs? I’m smoking the same weed🤣 Fuck that shit. He can burn his bridge if he wants. I’ll keep smoking with my friends and keep crazy people away from me.

3 Likes

I have been smoking since the 70s. There were a few gems back then - columbian gold and red, Panama red, oaxacan, Thai stick, etc. , but commercial was basically schwag.

The first really good weed I had was in 1982. The sensimilla from Humboldt was an eye opener.

5 Likes

Do you feel the good weed of today is much different than what you tried in 82?

1 Like

I kinda miss going through those old seed catalogs and magazines.

3 Likes

If the weed of today is so good, why am I chasing strains/highs that make/made me feel the way the weed did in 84/85? RKS anyone?

2 Likes

The jump from commercial to seedless (for me, it was sticky Humboldt) was a a cosmic jump. It showed us what weed could be.

While I would love a Panama Red, I’m very happy with my Trainwreck and Ghost Rider, and am currently working on a cross. I don’t pine for old weed.

3 Likes

Is it possible that you reacted to it more strongly in your younger days, just due to less experience with it? I have a tough time sorting out if weed has changed or if it’s just that people have.

One thing I do really believe in, is that labeling in the industry is damaging the perspectives on it. I don’t feel like the strongest strains I’ve tried are necessarily the highest THC strains. But the label game will drive breeders to chase THC numbers, while sacrificing the quality of the high.

I think one of these days we’ll start to unravel the synergy of cannabinoids and terpenes, only to find out that it’s hybridization that broadens the profile (includes a little of everything) – yet also creates a “generic” high, less unique and less extreme than unhybridized or minimally hybridized strains. I think we already have some evidence of this – if you’ve ever smoked a 50/50 THC/CBD strain, you get less than “half as high”. I think because CBD is binding to endocannabinoid receptors, and blocking THC.

People try to approach THC & cannabis the same way as alcohol. But they’re so totally different in the way they work in the body. You can’t label THC % and expect that it works the same way as ABV %… I think that’s creating a lot of false expectations about what “strong” weed is. I think the industry is starting to catch up to this fact though… especially in the extracts market, where nobody even wants THC isolates anymore.

13 Likes

BRAVO!!!

Sounds like good stuff i found seeds and stems in the Malawi cobs but the weed was energizing. It helped me work 45 hour shifts on weekends and attending college during the week. A lot of us were working 2 or 3 jobs. Sativa is great for landscaping, construction, sewer maintenance, driving taxis and pizza delivery, jogging.,martial arts, restaurant job, dancing, programming… sometimes we have things to do :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes