Mark's 60 day Bubblegum

Moving right along. Should I top them or not?

8 Likes

I always say top them. But that’s just me. If you have space and time for it, why not?

2 Likes

My protocol is grow to node 6, top at note 3. I clone the top.

Cheers
G

9 Likes

Transplanted, my 2 fems into their forever home. Gave them some more WOW mycos to make sure they get it. I’ll top dress some, insect frass, crusteasan meal, and worm castings tomorrow and litfa. I also dusted with DE to knock back the isopod explosion that was happening

5 Likes

Yeah I wouldnt suggest multiple plants in the same container. Thats definitely not the ideal situation as they will be competing for both space and nutrition. Not to mention if you have an issue its going to effect both. You would have much better results in 2 smaller containers over 1 large. Best of luck and happy growing

3 Likes

That’s a 100 gallon fabric pot full of a “coots” style mix on its 4th round, I feed a fair amount of teas throughout the cycle; LABS, Probiotics, EWC. I’ve seen up to 4 plants in beds like this one. We’ll see. I’ll keep updating.

2 Likes

100 gal? Holy crap dude I would have guessed 10gal. How long do plan on veg for those?

I’m hoping to finish some autos I have going along side these, then flip to 12/12, that might be too long though.

2 Likes

That’s what I did on my very first run back autos and photos. Also I think those huge beds are fine but pose a few problems. How do you let them drain, into what? And how to tell you need to water at all. It’s huge! How do you move it?

That’s just my own questions because ive seen them before. On the other hand I’ve seen HUGE plants finish in those. I’ll be watching.

1 Like

They are all on platforms supported with casters, can be detached from the blumat irrigation and rolled around if needed. The moisture level of the soil is held constant with no run off. The containers are fabric so they breath and in the event of accidental run off or overflow while dialing in the blumats I have a floor drain nearby.

3 Likes

Oh Balls! Now I’m down to one out of five, not my best run.

3 Likes

Pulled a male flower off my one remaining specimen this morning, so this one might have to go too, bummer.

3 Likes

Gonna go ahead and flip it anyway, just to see, but will probably have to go.

So I’m 90% sure this is male, I pulled a fully formed male flower off it and haven’t seen any pistil hairs indicating femaleness. I have some clones that are about ready to move so…

This isn’t the way I wanted my first documented run to go, I’m sure these are good genetics. I just didn’t have everything dialed in to give them the best start they could have. I won’t be using peat pellets anymore, I’ve always had better success with other methods. I’m sure they can be used successfully but I think there are lots of better option s(seedling mix, starter plugs, etc.) What is your favorite way to start and care for seedlings? Seed starting and cloning continue to be challenging for me, although I’m having more success with cloning lately.

5 Likes

I’ve just tried @JohnnyPotseed s germination protocol… Works well!

Give this a try, I think you will like it.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. I’m definitely gonna up my seed starting game. So far have not used any bottom heat, but is definitely worth a shot. I have some pretty rare/unique stuff from snowhigh that I’m trying get going with various methods. So far I’ve only gotten his Big Mountain Gold to do anything and have been cloning it, the male that seeded everything on my last go round was also BMG so those crossed might be exciting.

1 Like

Bottom heat can be tricky. Lots of folks have accidentally ‘cooked’ their beans with those mats. To be foolproof they need a temperature controller.
I’ve been quite happy with the results of parking them on top the refrigerator.

Snowhigh has some interesting stock. How was the smoke report on your BMG?

Cheers
G

Haven’t smoke tested the BMG, but I have a mother and some clones this time around. Last time I had a male BMG that got away from me and seeded everything else I had going. The description sounds promising though, and the plant looks pretty. Narrow leaflet s sprawling habit, is probably gonna be super stretchy.

1 Like

A big reason I like promix for seedlings is it doesn’t have any built in nutrients and studies have shown low nutrient soil with a seedling produces less males.
I think plugs are okay, maybe better for dwc etc. I rather have that taproot un disturbed to go straight down and get fat. There is some science on that in trees.

2 Likes

Definitely gonna do lots of experiment ing with different germination methods and batches of seeds. I have found with some seeds they just explode and hit the dirt running, others not so much, but I do want to get as close to optimum conditions as I can so that they have the best possible start.

1 Like