Meat isn't agreeing with me. But I love meat

I’ve eaten a “meat-lite” diet for a lot of years, still eat it but only a few times a week really. I have a number of cookbooks I love, but this one gets pulled out the most by far, it’s full of excellent home style recipes from around the globe, lots of them pretty hearty compared to a lot of American “vegetarian” meals that are really diet meals rather than a full, calorie-packed plate for someone who does a lot of work or exercise, IMO:

7 Likes

Oh, and I forgot one of the best tips I’ve found for eating meat, especially if you don’t often or overdo it: drink some sauerkraut juice or a little LABS solution afterwards and it helps digest it much better, this is one of the reasons so many cultures eat lactofermented vegetables of different sorts with meat dishes, and it really works!

5 Likes

I eat lots of meat but also lots of veggies. I find a very big difference in the meat we get from our butcher vs the grocery store. We have a great Halal butcher that raises, butchers and sells their own meat and it is hands down better in every way to other sources. There is a clear difference in the quality and taste which tells me the major chains are doing something much different.

9 Likes

Stop buying meat at the store…buy local beef at your auction house from local producers.

5 Likes

Kimchi!!! For the win! Fuckin love that shit, yet can’t even be in the same house as sauerkraut.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about this. Although I spent years as a vegetarian I know that I prefer to eat meat nowadays because I digest it better than grains which can sometimes give me migraines. I know I cannot eat meat that is available at trader Joe’s because they preserve it with sulfur dioxide and we have noticed that it tastes like death incarnate to me and my girl. Disgusting. I also had a few months around a year before covid where I gave up on eating as much meat as I usually do because it just wasn’t tasting right, and it was a rotten sort of taste that was permeating my senses. I hope your taste change is a transient condition and someday you are able to enjoy meat again if you so choose to but eating less meat for a bit will definitely be a nice little change. :v:

5 Likes

Yeah, I think a prime example for me is beef stew. I like to make stir fry and Vegetable soup with beef. When I get the stuff at the store the grease as you cook is a brownish color. When from my butcher it’s a nice clear color. I have to wonder what they are adding to the meat to create that color in the pan? Likely some kind of preservative to keep it looking good in the store but whatever it is I don’t want it in my life, lol.

7 Likes

We eat meat consistently but in smaller portions 🤷

5 Likes

Mushrooms!

8 Likes

Another good digestive aid is taking a turmeric/black pepper gelcap every day, or working the combo into your cooking daily. Curcumin in turmeric is absorbed much better in combination with piperine from black pepper, and the combination really help your digestive enzymes do the thing:

6 Likes

This is gonna sound a little weird. But did the meat start tasting “off” after Getting Covid or a cold and losing some taste?

That’s what happened to me. Haven’t been able to eat regular meat since November now. However, vegetarian fed and grass fed meats from the healthy grocery store don’t have the strange taste.

Elk and bison are winners too (obviously more grass fed) lamb is the best of all of them though.

Costs a little more, but when meat doesn’t taste like sweaty feet and you can actually eat it… so worth it.

Noticed that cold cuts (not sausage type, but like procuitto) imported from Italy don’t have the weird taste either.

I’m convinced it’s what’s being fed to the animals and I can taste it for some reason now :man_shrugging:t2:

Hope this helps!! I love meat too and it’s depressing when it doesn’t taste right.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Hey man, some people pay extra for that…

3 Likes

Pink slime comes to mind.
I think it was walmart that added it to hamburger meat

2 Likes

Local grass fed meat for the win. Don’t trust Babylons food system

5 Likes

If I had the freezer space I’d had an elk, a cow, and a pig. And sausages.

But alas I can only fit ice cubes and butter.

3 Likes

I’m glad somebody brought this up. Thanks for surfacing this topic, @anon58740919! We curtailed our meat intake pre-pandemic. We also love meat but stopped eating much a few years ago because store-bought no longer tastes good. I believe it’s due to the heavy amount of sanitizer being used on the equipment during butchering and processing at the big meat plants. And lower quality standards for the animals themselves - often times animals will have serious bacterial infections, especially chicken, but will still be processed. My family are farmers, and there’s a huge difference between the two in taste and quality between locally butchered meat and industrial meat. They all live a thousand miles away or farther, so that’s not much of an option, and we don’t have freezer space to store large amounts anyway.

So, we just stopped eating so much meat and have never felt better. Went fully vegan for a quite a while a few years back, my second time vegan, but couldn’t quite give up eggs and cheese despite being lactose intolerant. Now we eat meat maybe once or twice a month. We also never eat out unless traveling.

Honestly, eating mostly plants has made us feel so much better. And most of the world’s cuisine is vegetarian, so there are a billion delicious recipes out there! But, you will want to prepare things from raw ingredients and not eat a bunch of processed plant-based foods. The fake meats are so full of chemicals that they can hardly be called food. The biggest thing for us with going plant based, much like your reasons for not eating meat, is to minimize our exposure to industrial chemicals. Further, if you upgrade to all organic, your food dollars encourage better farming practices that don’t poison our land, air, and water. They still use some industrial scale ag techniques, but done with mostly sustainable practices. Michael Pollan writes about this quite a bit.

Nuts, seeds, lots of beans and legumes, tofu (which can be delish), and tons of greens and colorful veggies - especially lots of onions, garlic, ginger, cabbages, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflowers. Yes, curries are great and there’s such a huge variety. Look up Rick Stein’s cookbooks from India and the rest of Asia for authentic flavors. We still eat cheese and sometimes yogurt and eggs. Every great once in awhile we’ll have beef or pork, but it’s not a compulsion anymore.

Working from home, we start our day with a quart of lemony water, then 1-2 cups half caff coffee. Then either fruit (fresh pineapple, pears, peaches, whatever we can get) or a fruit, nuts, and greens smoothie between 11 - 1pm. Exercise for “lunch break” in the afternoon, then a snack of seeds or fruit or a small portion of some leftovers between 4-5, and then fresh cooked or leftovers dinner around 7 or 8pm. With this schedule, I no longer get sleepy in the afternoons and am sharp through the whole workday.

We do almost all of our grocery shopping at Costco because the ones here have an amazing selection of organic veg, fruit, and other foodstuff. Basically it’s about 1/2 the price of the normal grocery store, though prices have gone up considerably this year. 1.5lb bag of organic power greens went from $3.79 to $6.99 in the last four months. Still way cheaper than the grocery store, and the quality and freshness is usually better too.

8 Likes

I use a heaping teaspoon in 16 oz of water and slam it down after consuming any meat. Changed the game for me. Try it.

I use Walmart’s Generic version Equate. Peace

5 Likes

LOL, perhaps but it shouldn’t ooze out of the meat right out of the package. Here is an interesting article.

5 Likes

I thought it was quite gross when I lived in the states and they were allowed to inject chicken broth into the chicken to add weight.

Not sure all states are like this.

Quite disgusting and price inflated 20%

5 Likes