So tell me, What do you know about the human microbiome? All input is welcome!

This topic was started to keep from clogging up my man @Dr.VitaminGreen’s grow thread.

Interesting subject for sure!

What do we know of this new and ever-expanding topic?
All serious comments are welcome.

6 Likes

Dr Zach Bush is a great resource to check out🤙

4 Likes

I have heard tell of monkeys flinging poo to spread gut flora that in turn changes gut flora of the recipient, which in turn, gets everyone on the same page.

I have to make dinner and am unable to supply a link at this time haha

4 Likes

I just edited the first post in the thread.
@ElMasSabroso thank you for your contribution.
I will be checking him out, thanks!
@breadwinner

Is this a serious statement?
Or
Are you trying to pad your post count?
I am all for having fun, but when folks go looking for good info on how to stay healthy and the thread is all clogged up with chat that really adds nothing to the discussion, folks get discouraged and lose interest in the thread.

I hope I do not offend here, that is not my intention.
I guess what I am saying here is I am not a fan of needless chat in a serious fact-finding thread.
@breadwinner
If you truly have some good info to add to the conversation, please do.
But if you could please, refrain from just commenting randomly without helpful content.

Thank you, and again, I do not mean to offend here, I just wanna try and keep this fact-finding thread as clean as possible.

Peace
Shag

2 Likes

I was being serious. I apologize if I came across as flippant, the topic does interest me greatly. I did go straight to the gut biome without reading the connected thread, and I apologize. But I was being serious.

4 Likes

Some people use other people’s feces to repopulate their own gut flora. My bad for bringing g it up, bud. Flag away

7 Likes

Hey bro, no offense please! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Lots of crazy off topic posters here, just thought you may be one of em.
I am truly sorry about my comments, but you did lead with…

And flying monkey poo…LOL

And just look at the face your makin’. :rofl: (avatar)

Now that is a very good point!
I knew a guy that needed a poop transplant.
His symptoms were… All liquid. :astonished:

2 Likes

Well Shazam Shazam sarge, look who’s lookin at me.

I can admit, sometimes I’m a weird soldier :grin: I meant no harm, maybe this will make someone look it up and we just might have helped somebody out

5 Likes

Staphylococcus Aureus Staphylococcus Epidermidis are bacteria that live on our skin and in our sweat glands.They protect themselves with a biofilm (slime) from things that can attack the bacteria. In some situations the bacteria lets go of the surface it is on and in the case of the sweat duct, the mass can be pushed toward the surface of the skin by sweat and can get lodged in the sweat gland duct. When this happens the sweat leaks into the surrounding tissue and causes an immune response.A rash can appear and the condition is called Miliari, Prickly Heat or a heat rash.

I’ll copy a write up of the medical concern these two cause.

“Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus aureus are currently considered two of the most important pathogens in nosocomial infections associated with catheters and other medical implants and are also the main contaminants of medical instruments. However because these species of Staphylococcus are part of the normal bacterial flora of human skin and mucosal surfaces, it is difficult to discern when a microbial isolate is the cause of infection or is detected on samples as a consequence of contamination. Rapid identification of invasive strains of Staphylococcus infections is crucial for correctly diagnosing and treating infections.”

Basically if they remain on your skin but if they find themselves in your body they can cause all kinds of trouble. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) outbreaks have occurred in every major hospital and it is so pervasive that much of hospital staff is presumed to have it on their skin. It can cause bloodstream infections; pneumonia among other conditions, it is one of the super bugs you hear of.

There, your human microbiome minute.

9 Likes

That is staph right?

I had a buddy get staph from unclean jiu-jitsu mats or it was from rolling with someone that had the infection, I guess from your info it was from someone with the infection?

3 Likes

It is not an infection if it is just on your skin. If you have a break on your skin the bacteria can get in.

5 Likes

I love this subject. I think this is a great place to start:

3 Likes

Go all the way

3 Likes

I got mersa at the gym 3 x’s 2010 right kneecap from broken vinyl on a nautilus dip machine. 2011 I dropped a 45 lb. plate lost my grip and it dropped down the outside of my leg edge of it shearing 2 inches of my outside ankle caused blood blister about the size of a large plum. I walked it off, cleaned it and tube socked it. popped the blood blister a week later scabbed. 3 weeks after that I looked under the scab and went to ER. 5 types of Mersa, 2 of which were flesh eating Mersa. Hole in my leg for 6 months down to my bone. 2014 Mersa from Free weight chest bar scaping my chest thru a sweaty tank top. Ended with Mersa that went septic. When my heart beat it shot mersa to my lungs 14 days IV infectious disease unit. Mersa’s No Joke, watch ya Ass. It will eat that too. .

7 Likes

Wild suspicion:

When eating raw, or partially cooked (oyster and other) mushrooms, the cells will shed all kinds of compounds and goodie-goodies to feed the microbes in your gut in an attempt to survive.

It will do everything it can to keep its environment, gutbiome in this case, happy.

They are benevolent medicinal organisms, that improve every environment they’re in.

Not feeling well? Eat oyster / reishi / lion’s mane / etc… mushrooms several times a week!

Number one change in diet if you have any disease really.

7 Likes

So I did some digging and only a part of the population has it on the skin like that.

So you would have to have been in contact with someone who has it on their skin, and after they had sweated or gotten a heat rash.

That Makes sense why wrestlers are often a common victim of the infection.

So I guess the only way to be sure, is to wipe down equipment before and after use, because it can get in through any break in the skin, even a pimple. Makes me even more disgusted at the bros at the gym who sweat all over and don’t wipe down

3 Likes

There is about 30 different bacteria in the Staphylococcus family and different people have a different strain on them.

2 Likes

Lol you are good at being a politician with your answers. It’s okay though I got it.

1 Like

I looked up the percentage of people that have it on their skin this morning, got different numbers from 30% to everyone having it. I know people can have different percentages of one and another strain also. I used to do a lot of troubleshooting and found in the real world things can be a little messier than what is taught in textbooks. I even taught college for a brief period of time and I remember saying to the students, this is what the textbook teaches you. Now this is what we do in the real world. Especially if you are giving a short answer to a complicated question you leave out a lot of exceptions.

I did an exam for a certification in my field and they had questions with four answers to chose from. Two were automatically out, the two remaining were equally valid. I went up and told the person watching over us and he said to pick the more correct answer. (the sensor is giving wrong values, did someone enter the wrong information in the computer or was the cable to the sensor damaged?) I had seen both happen. After the exam I sat down and wrote out why over half a dozen of the questions were bad because at least two answers could be right, it just depends on the local conditions. The exam was written for someone with a year or two experience in the field. I had many years and knew thing were not always simple as on the test.

I tried to get answers on a work injury and the doctors did not know exactly what happened to me. I read a whole bunch of medical papers and finally figured it out with the help of papers from the petrochemical industry. When I showed my doctor he said, “You do realize no doctor would know this?” Yeah I knew, the reason it took me 2-3 years to figure it out. My pain doctor said I should publish it. Yeah right, some layman writing a medical paper, that would go over well.

From what I have learned from it all is, things are complicated, especially the human body. A neurologist I once asked questions on my problem and he said, “Medical science is not that far yet.” It would be nice if we have all the answers but in some things they are still figuring things out. And stuff we do know, there can be odd exceptions. So when that is the case I give a maybe answer, “It depends…”

5 Likes

My buddy is in Thailand training these days. He has gotten staph on the tip of his dick twice now. First time he said he was really grateful he went to the doctor Before he yelled at his girlfriend for giving him some crazy shit🤣
Sounds like it’s everywhere over there. Tropical conditions are no bueno for staph and MRSA

4 Likes