Mel franks GDP run

23 Likes

The weekly shots. I brewed some terp tea from roots organic and feed that to the plants. My new fan fell off the tent post and took out another plant in the tent, right next to one of these.
I have some bad news on the clone side of things. Most have looked to mold?!?! In the rooting sections. Which is no fun. But I’m going to experiment with things and see what I can do. Maybe some hydrogen peroxide and rescarifying the tissue after cutting above. I could also do a bleach bath and sterilize them that way but I’m going to play around.
I think it may be the cubes to Be honest as I’ve had several issues using this batch (I bought a lot…at the time it seemed like a good idea)
The thick one is chugging along throwing on some weight. As the lanky one is easier to open and supports itself, yet seems to have almost comparable Bud sites and growth but with more stretch and perhaps more resin production. The lanky like to sag more after your spread the branches where the thick one would need tie downs or training to open. In my eyes that makes the thick one a outdoor canidate and the lanky a great indoor girl. But we shall see if my thoughts are correct in this one.
I did put the buckets on there post which picks them up about a foot of the ground so they are closer to the light now. And I’m starting to see that it may help also with the temp of the soil. As soil moisture rises and drop quicker. So seems like it actually is creating more humidity now.
Tents done good at staying between 65-75% RH and at temps between 70-85 degrees F. The pulse grow monitor I use has been on point for a while. But with the new climate controled extraction fan it will be interesting to see if I can really dial the environment in a little more. I do allow for various cycles which include point that shut the fans and extraction fan of and let thing build. But haven’t seen the tent get about 85%RH and 90ish degrees F.

11 Likes

And if ya didn’t notice they did get knocked up, I have happened to find the culprit. When I raised the pots the old time moonshine male I had in the tent was a early dumper and left his stuff all over the bottom of the tent. So now to see how much actually takes looking like it’s gonna be a seedy one.

11 Likes

There maybe something interesting in those new beans good luck

Papa

8 Likes

Looking really nice. It might sound insignificant, but I should mention that the big fan leaves growing out of the main stalk on the old Oakland GDP cut had super long stems, just like the plant in this photo. The purple stems and the surface texture of the leaves look very familiar.

I used to grow the GDP and a lot of other bay area cuts in a greenhouse for a few years when I lived in a little beach town south of SF.

And of course, I’m happy to see that it’s seeded.

Which is something I never thought to do when I had access to all those cuts, most of which are likely extinct now.

4 Likes

You me that’s not insignificant as Mel did live in the Oakland area, and helps me to know that they are starting to draw up memories for folks. As it goes I have little to no access to significant clones unless I want to spend money on a plant, but the seed thing is a urge IN me. As I told my buddy I have never done a true bud run. I smoke the stuff. But it’s always loaded with seeds lol. The seedless stuff I smoke comes from others. I appreciate your info and am really loving watching these gals grow. Hoping the Seeds that are growing in side have some more secrets to share.

8 Likes

When I first got started, the bay area cannabis culture revolved around clones and mother plants so exclusively that I actually did not have access to regular seeds.

I learned from other local growers and I didn’t go on forums or buy genetics online, so I was really just involved in the local culture.

Occasionally a local grower would hook me up with S1s, or even femenized hybrids, but at the time, all the genetics came solely from mothers and clones.

I knew a few growers who were breeding up in humboldt, but they held their genetics very close and would only trade clones or femenized seeds, because it allowed them to maintain control of their exclusive genetics.

6 Likes

The original grand daddy was definitely a very short compact plant that was very purple , I have not seen this cut in 12 years the green one mentioned in above posts is the one generally passed around and lacks the flavor and smell of the original variety. I would love to see somebody find that original cut , if somebody ever does I have a few grandaddy crosses I’d donate to a backcross mission. I have cherry pie from hazemen and a candyland x gdp . I’d really like to see the later crossed back on it.
The last time I saw and grew the legit clone was from a obscure club in Sonoma county.
Last time I saw rock hard solid purple grandaddy nugs was at a club in the bay area. I think it’s still around but held by few and not passed out much anymore.
The most recent pictures of what I know to be grand daddy purple are from shops in Colorado.
Makes me think the clone is out there still.
Here is one such photo
granddaddy-purple_purple buds mostly green leaf, the green pheno does the opposite and produces purple sugar leaf but green nugs.

15 Likes

How is that cherry pie from hazeman? I was thinking of getting some of those beans. Worth growing for an area that’s not had it before?

3 Likes

If I have any old photos of the real thing from bay area clubs or dealers I’ll post some here. Might have taken some photos of it back when I was still buying weed.

2 Likes

I haven’t grown them out myself, they were free with some other strains I was getting from him and I think I got two packs even.

1 Like

The gdp I grew around 2003 looked spot on to the photo I shared a few posts up.

3 Likes

I agree, that looks right. but the real question would be does it pass the smoke and smell test.
I thought it would be fun to post some photos of old bay area black market gandaddy purple if I can find it.

3 Likes

Most definitely , it’s always nice to see older pics esp from my area.

2 Likes

Cannavine in Ukiah, Mendo has Ken’s GDP from DH cut right now at $25, just came in today, not sure if it is the original or not. I may go pick it up.

5 Likes

It sounds like this cut was backcrossed to Ken’s GDP and then pheno hunted. Could be good for breeding as it is more inbred than a F1 hybrid.

3 Likes

Here is your weekly (a little late) GDP shots. All seems to be going well. My brother pointed this out to me with concern. I know I’ve pollinated the plants and the hairs on the plant are all browned. Some remain new and fresh but most have browned. This is on both plants. Then it got me to thinking about RH. Which mine is at 60%. So I got a mini dehumidifier off amazon. Not sure what this would be good for but this little thing will only pull 250ml a day. My mistake on this buy. But again I’m in flower and have fans. Treat with dr zyme blah blah blah. Anyways take a peek and chime in.

5 Likes

20 Likes

I think all is in check even with the high RH. My VPD seems to be where it should be for flower. IDK. This is the first time I’ve been fancy and I read and worry to much.

4 Likes

I don’t see a problem with rh 60%, I think you’re fine.
I have a similar dehumidifier I guess, it lowers humidity in my small tent a bit but raises the temperature too, I don’t use it much lately, it’s a bit of a joke.

4 Likes