Mephisto Genetics

Great post! I’ve been a fan of Mephisto since their early days, and while I still highly rate them, I do think of late they have concentrated a little too much on their marketing and not enough on their breeding.

Just my opinion, but I feel they have been overtaken by the likes of Daz and Dan at least in the sense of more “progressive” breeding (if that’s the right word). Though it has to be acknowledged that some of that success is built on Mephisto’s work.

My predicament being in Australia, is that they no longer send their seeds here (and haven’t done for the last couple of years :cry:) So, as a few of you have already, I’m about to embark of this journey myself.

I’ve collected a couple dozen of their strains and I’m currently doing my trial run with one of their CDLC x Skywalker freebies :crossed_fingers:.

Love your work! It will serve as an inspiration :+1:

4 Likes

Loved the cdlc x Skywalker, hope you get some good ones :+1: she’s a beast

11 Likes

Beautiful :star_struck:

1 Like

I have noticed that their gear is more likely to stunt in my yard than Fastbuds’ gear.

2 Likes

Interesting, what do you think the reason for that is? Just less resilient in general overall?

I’ve only grown their stuff indoors, so far. I know it’s a waste of electricity, but it’s still under prohibition here and I don’t own a large property so that’s my only option for now :man_shrugging: .

I have a perpetual veg tent for my photo periods anyway, so they just live in there for the most part.

From my limited experience with autos, so far I’ve found the Gnome strains I’ve grown to be the most hardy. I’ve seen pics of some great looking outdoor plants from him too :+1:

4 Likes

I think it’s just more inbred. But where I live nights still get cold throughout most of summer.

2 Likes

I agree on that. I feel they’ve been doing a lot more “Meph A” x “Meph B” than they have been searching to introduce “new” influences into their work. I guess that will inevitably result in a more incestuous line up.

3 Likes

Gnome is great to imho, this is mothman

8 Likes

Very nice! She’s got a lot more of the colour coming through from the Anvil (via the Blackstrap) than I expected. How do you find it as a yielder?

1 Like

She’s gorgeous! I’ve grown a couple of Gnome autos and I thought they were great genetics.

1 Like

Beautiful man! How was/is the smoke if I might ask?

2 Likes

Great work @breadwinner !!!

Loving that Mothman too!

:drooling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s inbred as much as its selection and the reality of autoflower breeding constraints when there’s demand. In other words, your batch will vary if it’s not line bred a certain way. If a breeder has to use more than one mom, which I suspect is happening with them, you could end up with a variety of types within one strain.

Their customer service is god awful. In 2020-21 I spent over 3k over the course of a few months with them. I was on a quest to make great auto regs…

The first time I had germ issues it was a new release, I picked up two packs of Jammy Dodgers #2, I emailed them, half the 10 pack wouldn’t pop. I gave them a basic and friendly explanation not thinking much of it, and they gave me a ‘bummer, you’re out of luck, bye’. No questions, just a rude response. A short time later the same happened when I was shorted something from a special release. I didn’t get a listed pack and they said it’s a freebie and we’re short and rude again. I stopped posting on AFN years ago in part because of the Mephisto weirdness, their loyal growers are worse than cookies fans.

Compared to some other breeders and stuff I’ve tossed together, I get more stunted plants, and they don’t seem as consistent in general, and if they don’t germ, you’re out of luck. In my experience the plants smell nice, the smoke is generally quite nice, but the vigor, size, yield and consistency is sometimes lacking. Some of their stuff might be F5+ but plants from any given pack can be all over the place.

As for that auto reg quest, I’ve made a ton of small batch auto regs. One of the best is/was made with the blueberry Sativa Regs which I’d worked more sativa crossed to the Jammy Dodger #2 that gave me all kinds of problems germinating. Got 100% germ, and every single plant is nicer than every other strain I popped. The worst looking autos in my latest batch are a Mephisto freebie, from plants known to be quirky, so we’ll see. However, I’ve consistently come to expect smaller and less vigorous plants from Meph as a whole compared to other breeders and my own crosses.

Now with the latest thing about Daz and some of the regs he’s released and having an issue with others making seed… They clearly think very highly of themselves and I can’t help but question the way they operate in some regards. It’s not like they’re Ethos or MMS for me, but I doubt I’ll give Mephisto or Night Owl my money again.

3 Likes

Hey man, so how did Toof Decay do for you yield wise? And the smoke?

We seem to be of similar opinion/experience with Mephisto and that other site.

I’m doing a auto regular project too, with Double Grape. I just sprouted generation three a week or so ago.

I still grow Mephisto autos. I just haven’t bought any in awhile. I decided that the only way it’s going to be worth it, is to buy seeds to make seeds.

4 Likes