Mephisto US customers seed shipments siezed

Named after the skunk but don’t have a single skunk strain? Typical green rush lames.

You intended to grow Marijuana the moment you ordered seeds from a Marijuana seed bank. Whether those seeds are hemp or not. Attempted murder is still a crime too. Even if you only made the victim laugh, intent matters

Someone here posted an article about that.

As is clear on nearly every site that along hemp seeds, those seeds are for novelty/souvenir purposes only.

You purchasing those seeds in and of itself does not show intent to grow any controlled substance.

The argument of the consumers intent misses the whole point of what is happening here. The consumers intent has no bearing on what is happening here.

Yes, intent matters with these things, but let’s be clear about when and how.

Although (to my knowledge) it hasn’t been tested in the courts yet, the verbiage of the farm bill does dictate that the products being sold that fall under the categorization of hemp need to come from a licensed hemp producer and from plants that don’t test hot. I don’t think this was written specifically with the seed industry in mind, but could be used to extort them if the powers that be wanted too. At least that is my understanding of it, I could be wrong.

This is not something that the end consumer (grower) likely needs to be concerned about from a legal perspective.

This is something seed banks and seed producers should be concerned about, and I imagine is something both they and their lawyers are aware of and have some sort of contingency plans for should the powers that be choose to begin scrutinizing this further.

The specifics of the farm bill and what is classified as hemp effect all of us, but in this case the intent and source only has significant legal bearing on the producer/distributor of those products, not the end consumer.

4 Likes

Mephisto has a grow guide and strain guide that discusses THC and how to produce thc containing plants from the seeds that are being purchased. They then sell the seeds directly to the customer.

Many of the other sites do not have these types of setups, and I think it would be harder to go after them.

I think this is simply a case of mephisto getting a little bit to greedy and operating as if this is a sanctioned, legal enterprise in the United States.

I seriously doubt it would hold up as a reasonable legal defense… I suppose we will get to see what happens. My suspicion is that this won’t get dropped. It will likely take many years to progress through the court system and could result in a raid on mephisto and their business partners.

One would hope that their books are organized and they have been paying taxes and following all the laws that apply in their jurisdiction— it’s never the act that brings these folks down, it’s always some small detail that is easy to prosecute and does enough damage to collapse the organization.

5 Likes

You’re using logic and rule of law which we have much less of as they now rule by decree.

1 Like