Mexican Death Sativa repro

FYI, stick around!! I’ll be doing another “Donation/Giveaway” after the New Year, probably JAN - FEB timeframe. I KNOW several packs of @lambchopedd’s MDS WILL be available!! SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes: NOTE: Find the “Introduce Yourself Thread” and let the folks of OG know who you are, get the feel of things, and P-A-R-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-E!!!

8 Likes

Yeah man, I gotchu. DM incoming.

For everyone else, stocks are running LOW low now on the OP seeds…
But if all goes well, I’ll have some filial seeds made before the year’s over. Everything’s flipped already. But I’m kinda picky on selections (& abusive to males), so lets just all hope for the best :upside_down_face:

20 Likes

So, I just checked the tents after 10 days…. i have 10 confirmed females, 10 undetermined, and 3 boys :pray:

20 Likes

That’s a nice ratio.

6 Likes

There’s actually a fairly large book on the Cornbread Mafia, called simply, The Cornbread Mafia (with a big subtitle I don’t recall). It doesn’t really get into genetics at all, but starts with whiskey production in Marion County KY, and how that helped lead to the outlaw spirit that turned into the massive grows that got dubbed The Cornbread Mafia.

Really though, the whole tagline of the CBM was a media portrayal that tied all of these growers together, some of whom damn near had blood fueds and absolutely hated each other/each other’s families. But, they were all based in the same couple of counties, so the media lumped everyone in as connected. A good deal of them certainly worked together, but not all 70 or so that went down. It’s a really enjoyable read that focuses more on family history and personal relation than the nuts and bolts of cultivation. I need to get the re-released edition that had follow up info on Johnny Boone’s run and (I believe) eventual capture. Pretty sure one of the members wrote a couple autobiographys in prison as well, but I haven’t come across those or hunted them down.

I’m from central Indiana and know my mom’s ex husband used to buy from them at times, but unfortunately by the time I found out and asked her if she remembered anything from their trafficking days, all she could recall was the occasional trip to KY when they weren’t flying into Mexico, and her ex husband had passed so I couldn’t get details from him.

18 Likes

Epic first post @GuyMontag! Super cool info.

Wanna head over to this thread and introduce your wonderful self?

9 Likes

Probably gonna keep the updates here. I figure why not.

Anyways…. So the tally is up to 14 girls, 6 males, and 3 still undetermined.

Not much to update other than what I mean by the red petiole vs green petiole phenotypes. Because I’m just growing out my OP beans, and grouped them together by whom their mother was, how I describe them wont make much sense moving forward (i.e Pissy & Pretty). I think from now on I’m gonna divide them by red & green. With that being said, there are both red & green from both batches. ALL the males so far are red, unfortunately.

It would suck if the coloration is merely a deficiency, but they all get fed the same, and treated the same. So :tipping_hand_man:

There aren’t many characteristics that I noticed from the previous generation popping up (yet). Maybe the broader leaves are progeny from the old broad male — but that’s just a guess. A few have absolutely ridiculous root systems growing through the fabric pots; Mind you, I potted them up and flipped them the same day. Nobody has full red stems like the red-stemmed male; but some are close. Ex.

note: I’m not a scientist, I’ma cannabis farmer. So take anything I say with a grain of sodium-chloride.

One female is a BEAST compared to her sisters, and two have huge fans compared to the rest. They’re still pushing out leaves with higher numerical leaflets, so I do a final count of that later.

Any growing advice I can give is that they don’t seem to be shy away from high ppm nutes — YMMV

This go around I want to active bring in some eastern US winter air to hopefully promote some purple-ing — like Bodhis cut. Mine didn’t turn purple at all last time. However, this one male looks promising.

Edit:
Final tally — 15 females, 8 males

41 Likes

Nice ratio! Hopefully some cool air really brings out the fall colors!

I will try to cajole some pics out of the guy I gave a pack from you to. If successful I will post em here. They should be nearly finished based on when they were planted and our local day length…

If your F-gen run is bountiful I wouldn’t mind re-upping sometime in the future!

-Dirtron

3 Likes

I know I mentioned the old broad leaf male in my last post, and maybe some of you remember it in my early pictures — well, he’s definitely a papa

Compared to his brothers, he’s definitely a big boi

32 Likes

He’s def sporting a chub!

3 Likes

Is there a particular reason for wanting green petioles vs red ones?

3 Likes

I can’t answer that yet, I was just describing what I’m seeing. But it would be nice to have a green male as a control, to experiment with.

7 Likes

So full disclose:

Found five hermaphrodites today; no nanners, pistils and balls. The irony — all are green-petiole phenos :slightly_frowning_face:

(Don’t sharpen your pitchforks yet, please)

This is why we test. Perhaps next time I will before I hand out beans (lesson learned).
Not sure I want to make any rash decisions just yet… but I will keep an eye on all of them. I checked everything up & down with a BIG ASS magnifying glass, and all else looks well so far.

EDIT: this part sounded unclear after I read it — I killed the herms. I just dont want to assume the “why” they hermed yet.

I accept any blame, hate, or mean words that fly my way. The only difference between this grow and the last is that they’re under a higher intensity light, with a larger fan pummeling them majority of the day. I do let my medium get dry; possibly too dry. But everything else I’ve grown in this specific tent takes the beating with little fuss — so I’m not gonna blame that. Just noting it.

(i was gonna take pics, but I feel like most of you take me at my word about this embarrassing/humbling shit)

(Breeding is f̶u̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ fun :slightly_smiling_face:)

22 Likes

You know what, I’m gonna say one more thing:

I just recycled medium from these trans bastards, and even though they were potted up and flipped quickly (same day) their rootball filled in the whole fabric pot already. On top of that as I mentioned, I let things get too dry. Perhaps bigger pots and more frequent watering is what they like (?)

Lets learn & improve while we grow these plants. I think I’m gonna adjust my program.

23 Likes

It happens with this plant. Thank you for sharing the good, and not so good.

12 Likes

No blame needed. You preserved an heirloom, this goes with the territory. Exploration comes with risks. If you were claiming you bred this and selling it as finished product, then it would be different. I appreciate that you share the good and the bad.

Thanks @lambchopedd!

13 Likes

I’ll find out soon enough!
Herm or no herm: THE SHIT JUST GOT REAL FOLKS!!!

(Thank you @misterbee & @lambchopedd !)

16 Likes

@lambchopedd It was just discussed about certain land races being susceptible to herm when it is rootbound. That’s probably your culprit. Do you think the green pheno is more susceptible than the red? Thanks for info and the seeds. You still cool in my book lol :v:

8 Likes

I just find it peculiar at the moment. I do agree that pot size may be a factor. I’m gonna up-pot them again and water in with some coconut water tomorrow, and hopefully that’ll alleviate any shock.

My eye’s are on all of them however.

10 Likes

You’re only the one doing the preservation run, unless you introduced different genetics or promised that this was a stabilized genetic preservation. Anyone growing heirloom or landrace genetics hopefully recognizes the risks associated with them.

10 Likes