Michigan Monkey Paw

Alright Peeps, this is my Unicorn. Tell me if you have heard of it and/ or smoked it. Describe your experience and where it rates on your list.

The strain originated in SE Michigan and it’s very murky as to how it came about. I have talked to dozens of people that have smoked it and rate it very high even though it’s been over 30 years. Also have run across many threads with people claiming to have it, cut only but none would ever show plants or buds. Leafly has the information on it but it is one of those strains that gets held very tightly by those who posses the genetics. Tell me what you know and let’s try and OG this Strain around the world for all to enjoy a taste of the 70’s-80’s

23 Likes

We got some Monkey Paw back in SW Michigan in the early 80s. It was a very unique strain, and flavor wise reminded me a lot like Thai. Almost had an opium flavor to it too, and we wondered if it had been dipped. Hard to explain but if you tasted it back then had a flavor of lavender.

Would love to see this strain too. I think there is a Michgan Monkey Paw cut up in the SF Bay Area but I doubt it is the strain I remember from the early 80s.

6 Likes

I always thought it was an early Thai cross too. Your on the money with the opium lavender taste.

3 Likes

Monkey Paw is Acapulco Gold x Colombian Gold x Afghani Kush… the three most widely available strains back in the 70’s.
These three strains together always had a high that was very similar to smoking Thai.

8 Likes

Aren’t those the same parents of Skunk #1?

Cheers
G

7 Likes

Yes they are, so is it a pheno of Skunk1, or is it the percentage of each parent? I would say it’s heavier to the Sativa side than Skunk 1.

4 Likes

So more like kissing cousins. I wonder what order you would make those crosses in? (sativa x indica) x sativa vs (sativa x sativa) x indica?

Cheers
G

5 Likes

That’s the mystery because it is more like Thai than skunk. It started coming around in the mid late 70’s as far as I go back. And did not see any after ‘91 or so. I always thought my some Of the genetics had come back from Vietnam/ Thailand because of timing and I know the guy my supplier got it from was same source of the Thai stick also, and was a Veteran. From what I heard back then it was grown out of Saline, near Ann Arbor.

4 Likes

Try hitting up Motarebel on IG, he was talking abut making crosses with it years ago.

He goes by Green Rebel Farms now.

6 Likes

Hey there just jumping in to say hi while I’m burning a tree.

I have all 3 of those seeds in collection of seeds.
Colombian gold World of seeds Afghani Kush feminine seeds Acapulco Gold from Barney’s Farm.
As well Hawaiian Maui waui Nirvana seeds. All great old sativa strains.

The Columbian gold gave me a half a sandwich bag full of seeds. In 2016 when one of the mechanical timers malfunction and stayed on five or six days and I didn’t know it as I was really sick at that time and wasn’t checking my grow at night. I am pretty sure that those seeds would give me a male of Columbian gold.
I also have quite a few Afghan Kush seeds from that same incident that I’ve never tried to grow any of those.
I also have from that incident Sage n Sour also did the same thing with a bag of seeds and white widow.
I’ve grown the sage n sour a few time. Have one going now in my outside grow.20200607_081055|690x388 sage n sour is in the far corner of the cage and a white widow to the right of it in front of the double pole.
This year due to the covid I had to run a bunch of seeds of my own half of my garden this year is my own seeds I culled out of 75 seeds 50 males exactly… But I have not did any pollen chucking yet. As I’ve had no need to.
But
I’ve set up a special room so that I can. Also going to practice graphing. As I have some really good stout mother plants that has a lot of strong branches that could be graphed to of many different plant strains to every Branch. That would be fundamentally wise for myself to do. As I like variety.
One plant could hold 25 or more different strains for clonning.
Maybe this fall I’ll give it a go.

ok this is the right pic of the sage n sour and the white widow.
That’s the only thing I don’t like about this site you can’t see the picture before it posts or a preview.
O yeah the blueberry cookies from Dinafem seeds it’s on the far left

8 Likes

I haven’t thought about grafting plants in a good long time. It’s something I was into in the late 80’s. I had a super stout Skunk #11 plant that I grafted 6 different cuts of Skunk onto… it was a pretty cool plant when all was said and done.

That’s a great idea for a grow project @Growtogrow… grafting branches of different strains on one plant! Could be an idea for some kind of contest, here on OG.

The cuts made for grafting are done on similar sized branches and at an angle, so the plant can heal itself faster and the graft will remain a strong point and won’t give under pressure of weight during flowering.

4 Likes

Right on… Grafting is the key to I and my wife small licenses. Has we like our varieties. I and my wife can grow 24 legally. so if one plant is carrying all the cool strains with gafting. I can still grow 23 different plants without being in trouble at any rate. That would still allow me to have all of my favorite strains on hand. All I would have to do is clone one.
Sure contest would be cool. It would open up a lot of people’s minds to what you can do with this plant.

6 Likes

Wow!!! A Super Bitch carrying all my favorite babies, where do I sign up? a thread needs to be started on this subject please. Dragging my Tiger Stadium vintage bench around until I have a place to bolt it down.

On the Paw, I assume you have not partaken? I have a x that is supposed to be MP ( original 80’s cut) x (Katsu Kush x Tom Hill Deep Chunk). I have 3 going now and another member who has tasted it has 1. Wanna se how close it is before throwing foundations back at it. Of course any of my seeds would be made available for trades on breeding stock. This is kinda my Unicorn, been trying to find a honest representation of it for 15 years and havnt had original since early 90’s.

Gotta fly, back to work until all the relaxation starts to blow this mess up again.

Have a 2 week old GD do we have been hard quarantine for the last month and a half to be safe with the newborn.

Peace brother, good to have you, I’m sure the others would love to be tantalized by your plans…I suggest “advance methods” then it can be linked to others…:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Great Lakes Genetics carries Brutal Paw from Kinetic Genetics, which supposedly has the MonkeyPaw lineage in it somewhere https://www.greatlakesgenetics.com/product/brutal-paw/

2 Likes

I also have one or two seeds of Neville’s Haze. That plant is a monster Easley Easley Easley Easley could grow and produce 3 or 4 keys. I call it the yeti of sativas.

20171013_212916|281x500

3 Likes

See above, have 3 testers going to give it a try, only other breeder I can find was Hashhands used it in a few x’s

You aren’t kidding Growtogrow that’s a bushy Sativa. I’m growing the old Mr Natural Black Pearl and a few x’s with SK1 and afghani Kush that I will at least repopulate the Alaskan seed cache genetics. BP has a great lineage and is one of those forgotten strains, showing all Sativa with strings of Agee sized pearls closing between nodes. Again I am on the tasting phase and the second runs through will be more directed when I pick a direction and stable of mothers. Started training the Panama red mother for a triple manifold after a 3 node clone off the top. Will grow the big clone out to breed and see if it retains and passes on the triple branches and double saw tooth half way through flower.

2 Likes

Oh only if I had that big old bag of Acapulco gold seeds my moms found and flushed back in the day
I miss her :blush:

2 Likes

I hear you, we used to get a few seeds of the Paw and they were large and dark like alligator skin…and so many others from 79-90’s.

Neville’s Haze is probably the heaviest yielding Haze strain known, however, it’s not one of the heaviest yielding sativas known.

Give a pure Malawi, Kumaoni, Parvati, or a highland variety like Highland Thai or Nepalese Highland a try and you’ll see many kilos come off one huge plant. There are quite a few very heavy yielding sativas and sativa landraces that may be found… some from members of this community.

It only took 40/50 years or so for landrace cannabis to make a comeback. The world has lost some pretty fantastic strains/landraces during this time as well… mostly due to over-hybridization or replacing longer flowering genetics with quicker flowering genetics to keep up with world demand.

Preservation grows are the only way to keep “lost” strains from going extinct.
This is what @Instg8ter is tying to do with the Brutal Paw… find a sativa leaning Monkey’s Paw/Brutal Paw and work it back to the original Monkey’s Paw.

10 Likes

I am being a bit more conservative with my Brutal Paw seeds due to space and other cultivars I am growing currently, but if I get any good breeding stock I will be happy to donate them to the effort.

2 Likes