Michigan Monkey Paw

Good to have you aboard @monkeyman , all three of mine showed the dominant Deep Chunk in veg. Just topped and rushed them in flower, stretched from base rather than the apical . Waiting for sex, I’m thinking 2/1 as the branch shoots on one are twice the other two. The taller is starting to go most Sativa leaner of the bunch. Least it will give me my starting point and a bunch of beans to hunt with. Don’t worry about re-upping from GLG, I will gift you a bunch to search, need people who have had original, no one can put a finger on why, but it still stands up with the giants in all of our minds as toasted as they may be.

6 Likes

Thanks @Instg8ter for making me feel welcome and part of the club right away :slight_smile: I have 2 Brutal Paw beans that just popped and if I have a male and a female I plan on crossing them back in to each other for the seeds, and if the male seems to be stretchier and more sativa-like I will be sure to save some of the pollen also. Monkey paw is one of my unicorns also, hence my name. I have smoked more than my fair share of weed since I was 16, and to say that there was something special about Monkey Paw is putting it mildly, and I look forward to your progress in this project with great anticipation. It sounds like you have the skills and the genetics on hand, now it’s just a matter of skill and luck, but hopefully even something close to the old Monkey Paw will come out of your efforts.

6 Likes

Contacted a farm in mid Michigan that I found on IG. Claims his uncles bred the original Monkey Paw, has pics of those special dark fingerling nugs. He said he is middle of a seed run so he should have them Very Soon! Let’s hope, I will post what I find. Like to take a ride up for a taste test, but real deal would have me biting on a breeder pack of at least 50 to play with.

13 Likes

Is he selfing it or crossing it?

5 Likes

Yes, I saw your post about that in the Michigan thread - I am very interested in this, of course.

2 Likes

Wife contacted him on Instagram. When they are ready he will contact me. Says it is a family strain carried on since early 70’s. I may take a road trip Up for a taste test if it’s cool. Brutal paw is getting its legs and coming out of the deep chunk influence, hairs popping on tops. Next batch I will veg longer after topping. I rushed these in for a head stash. Got 2M 1F so there will be some bottoms painted for a replenish on seed with the kush/chunk influence.

8 Likes

Found this on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Michigents/comments/hn6di5/monkey_paw/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

They got it from dispensary but I figure might be able to try to find who ran it

2 Likes

There are definitely 2 phenos in the Brutal Paw - one short and squatty with huge leaves like a cabbage, and a taller lankier one with slightly smaller leaves.

Here is the short (deep chunk influenced) pheno:

Here is the taller (more Monkey Paw influenced) pheno:

Here they are side-by-side:

13 Likes

Yep, both my females were the DC pheno, I like that tall girl, have to wait til after the Chocolate Thai run t drop any more seeds. I’m gonna get my last 6 seeds down and Try and find her or him to replenish our seed cache. I have 2 clones running but the short ones are hard to get 4 node clones from.

4 Likes

image Here’s a few nugs, allready a great start at getting her back, I think a few gens hitting it with Bodhi AG will bring back the trip weed effect. I have a few AGs going now, 100% Landrace leaning long lean and whispy like a willow. Will taste test this plant before proceeding with back crossing it. May go 100 days
:woozy_face:

11 Likes

A few fat fingers of Brutal Paw…
:metal::sunglasses:

14 Likes

nice buds! mine are still flowering but getting fatter and fatter. I will post some pics later.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see structure on the Sativa pheno, the Indicas show the oval buds stringing down the stem and curling during cure. Not big producers but buds are super dense and sweet. I still have to stop from reaching for it every time I roll a joint, with 8-10 strains in jars. Just dropped a bunch of germ tests on the crosses I made with it…
:metal::sunglasses:

5 Likes

I recently got a cutting of supposed old school monkey paw from an old hippie grower here in Michigan who has been growing it for decades, I am hoping its the same monkey paw that I recall and not just something people have been calling monkey paw. I think for a bit there any really primo weed locally may have been tagged as monkey paw - either way it sounds like an amazing pheno and am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

8 Likes

Growing up in south-central Michigan in the 90’s I remember hearing about Monkey Paw, and it was legendary. A smokin buddy back in high school stole some of his dads stash, which was supposedly Monkey Paw, and thinking back on it, it looked just like those in that last pic posted 25 days ago, of the Brutal Paw. This was like, ‘96 or ‘97? I don’t know anything about BP other than what y’all have said in this thread, but I don’t get the impression it was around that far back. So maybe it was actual legit MP? Either way, it had a really “floral” taste to it, was dense has heck, and it was a long bud about the diameter of a nice size carrot. Not quite golf ball or ping pong ball size, but not much smaller. Dark dark green with (almost) brown hairs on it. Smelled a little like citrus when we broke it down, which left us surprised when we toked it and tasted that flowery wonderfulness.

I wish I could say I knew where his pops got it, or even that I still communicate with them, but I can’t. I can say, though, that this was in the Jackson MI area, so there may be some truth in the Saline MI birthplace part of this legend. No matter, it’s a dang unique strain that I’d love to see make a roaring comeback. Many many thanks and praises to you for your work on this project. When I saw the thread title I got really excited, being a lifelong MichigEnt, and supporter of the current Michigan cannabis come-up. There are some really good things coming from “The Mitten” right now, and people are taking notice. I really can’t thank you enough for being apart of that. I’ll be following this project with interest!

7 Likes

I was just thinking yesterday that we could gift cuts to make line tracing the Sativa Phenos OG Brutal paw for comparison. Have a bunch of the x’s coming your way also…:metal::sunglasses:

May throw one of the Brutal paws in a 5 gallon and “GROW” it for size and yield.

6 Likes

yeah I am sure if we put our collective minds and efforts together we could make some progress in this area for sure. I didn’t have a chance to sample the flower that this cutting makes, just got the cutting, but I heard through the grapevine that it’s exceptional.

6 Likes

I have only heard it discussed at the local grow shop where there was a claim by the owner that he had a cut. Might have been a member here who was also present …not sure of the validity nor have I ever smoked it. They discussed sharing the cut that was obtained from closely held source.

The pandemic has put a damper on the conversations that used to happen in places such as that. People do not spend time just chatting in such instances. These chance encounters are when I usually tried to have a few seeds in my pocket to spread.

2 Likes

I remember back when grow shops couldn’t talk at all about weed, and if you asked about it you were shown the door. Then came the big bust of all the grow shops which shuttered most of them (just because they were also carrying copies of ed rosenthal’s book or something petty like that) until medical was legalized, and now you are lucky to find one that isn’t in the pocket of or outright owned by one of the big corporate grow supply companies, and I find that most of the people who work at those places are clueless or they have what I call “green dick syndrome” where they think they are king shiznit because they can grow some fat buds, so I don’t really engage with them, but it sounds like maybe I should? lol

2 Likes

Lotta that I’m sure… corporate stores? Sure there are a lot of them. But med has been around a long time and not all the hydro stores are like that.

2 Likes