Michigan Monkey Paw

I’m hoping they have some pure monkey paw too!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. Currently testing several NL5 outcrosses; Papaya, Chem Lights, Puna Budder, Lemon G, MOB, Romulan and Ancient OG mom’s against a nice little resin male from Bodhi’s drop.

The Lemon Thai ranged from a sharp zesty side to lemon pastry. They ran around 100 days and had a buzz to match. Very uplifting ride without being racy or paranoia inducing, at least for heavy smokers.

6 Likes

I just picked up Monkey Paw. Made this account to say she absolutely is still around. I know I’m a noob on these forums, but not IG. Handle is the same🤙 Just posted a pic!

2 Likes

picked up from where? I have tried 3 strains claiming to be Monkey Paw, with none of them resembling what I smoked back in the early 1980s. Good luck.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I asked the guy if he was on IG, and he said he wasn’t so sure about social media. He said it’s really popular among the old heads. I was wondering if there was more than one cut, because some information sources state different lineage. I did pick up 5, so I guess I can up-pot and flip one to see which cut it might be. Totally stoked if it has the Vietnamese black genes in there. :crossed_fingers: My Saipan Sativa seeds are believed to be Mango Thai x Vietnamese black. I have a cross, Saipan Orange 7, that is orange vapo rub. Heavy on the camphor​:call_me_hand: Which makes me think it’s true. And the flower is one of the best i have had in a while. Waaay different effect. Reminds me of where the term “stoned” came from.:rofl:

4 Likes

Bloom one out and let us know! If it’s legit or anything close to what they called monkey paw, I’d like to trade you a cut. Gotta get some monkeys going! Or should I say, trade you so @monkeyman can test it and verify it for my curiosity :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

thanks for the info. I wasn’t trying to be negative about your cut you were so excited about, I just have come to believe that the term monkey paw was latched on to by some older Michigan heads as a term that was used to describe super dank weed, since the original Monkey Paw was so memorable. However, there is always a chance that someone saw the value of keeping it alive, and hopefully you managed to get yourself a good cut. I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

8 Likes

It’s all good. I get excited anytime I bring new genetics home. And I really don’t take offense to much in this field. Kinda like how people told me they’ve never found a seed in blue dream, and that I didn’t find a stressed induced selfie seed. But here I am, looking at the plant. Last time I flowered her, she smelled of blueberry early on, so I tossed her in reveg. I’ll take a cut of that here in a little bit. :grin: My point being, everyone has different experiences. I just kinda keep that in mind, and roll along. Do my thing, not take stuff to heart. I will keep you posted for sure. Sorry for the rant​:joy:

6 Likes

Not sure which one it is, but the structure is interesting. The stem seems to be very smooth, as if there are little to no hairs on the stalk. I already induced a clone, this is just another copy. She’s coming out of lockout, as the guy forgot to poke holes in the cups. But hey, happens to the best of us. If she’s not real, I’m gonna inject her with some Vietnamese Black Cleaner pheno P1 by Dragonsflame Genetics. See if we can’t put a little pep into her step.:grin: Stay tuned.

5 Likes

She’s growing really weird whatever her genetics may be. I haven’t done any training, and you can see the lower branch has reached up to the middle, only on one side. Same thing as the one in flower. Definitely unique looking in the garden compared to the other varieties.

5 Likes

True monkey paw. (Not my picture)

11 Likes

This is mine at day 18. Starting to get trichomes. She’s a funky looking little thing whatever cut she is.

5 Likes

This little thing sure is frosty!!!:clap:

7 Likes

Dark pine green color, covered by bright green shine, beautiful

1 Like

Seen some talk of monkey paw never had the chance to grow any. Sure starting to pack on the frost.

1 Like

That reminds me, has anyone heard anything in regards to @Instg8ter?
I got some of his Monkey Paw (Brutal Paw) crosses & then he went ‘radio silent’.

Cheers
G

7 Likes

Hey all, I was snooping around Google for monkey paw info and found your thread. Cool stuff.

I haven’t read all 116 comments but… I read a few.

I’ve held the ACTUAL Monkey Paw since '11-12.

My cut came from Grand Paw(the curator who held it for over 30 years before he gave it to my father who gave it directly to me).

To the best of my knowledge and research the lineage is Vietnamese Black x Nepalese Highland. This is not Willie Nelson. I have spoke with white buffalo seeds about this(he bred WN with reef) and this predates that. But growing them side by side, you can tell there’s a relation.
This selection, obviously leans to the NEP. Those fingery fox tail buds, are not THE monkey paw. That looks like a picture from dank.franks icmag thread which was full of incorrect information.

The smell is pineapple or banana and ammonia. Tropical cat piss.

Ten weeks max in most any environment. Actually harvests mid October anywhere in Michigan, which it would have to to be as old as reported…

This will probably ruffle feathers as it always seems to. But, it is what it is.

Long live The Paw and thanks. :call_me_hand:

17 Likes

7 Likes

6 Likes

yes, Monkeypaw is unrelated to Reefermans Willie , thats for shure.

After my long research , it seems clear there are basically two monkey Paws around (or two descriptions) .

• One is Vietnam x Nepal
  • One is Columbian , or Middleamerican crossed to something else i recall.

Probably even more Lines that were just called Monkey Paw , misslabeled so to speak.

I found once a Monkey Paw, and in description it became clear it was Reefermans Willie N… watch out

5 Likes